SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
johnbasler
johnbasler is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Anyone have coolant leaks? Water pump? '03 3.0 V6 FWD

Guys/gals,

after resolving my oil leaks by replacing both valve cover gaskets, now I am confronted by a sporadic DexCool puddle under the Vue when parked. ('03 V6 FWD). It seems to occasionally puke a bit of coolant after shutoff, but not every time.

I looked underneath and it likely looks to be coming from the front of the engine somewhere but it could be virtually anywhere....

anyone have coolant leaks on the 3.0 motor? I know it could be anything from a water pump to a hose or anything, but just looking for ideas. Has anyone needed a water pump or anything related?

I really hate to dump stopleak in there, but I really don't want to have to disassemble the front of the engine to look for the leak.

Any advice appreciated!

thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnbasler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnbasler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnbasler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Anyone have coolant leaks? Water pump? '03 3.0 V6 FWD

I just had the water pump on my '03 AWD V6 replaced under warranty (5 yr/60,000). I have about 56,000 miles and also noticed the sporadic drops on my garage floor. First it began with the familiar coolant smell and then the occasional drops. Sounds as if you have the same problem. The service department also replaced the belt tensioner under warranty. I would recommend they check that also and the belt while replacing the pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
johnbasler

2003 VUE 3.0L

ok, thanks for the heads-up.

will investigate further. I will be doing the repair myself, so hopefully it is not a horrible job...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help johnbasler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The water pump is the big leak source on the front of the 3.0. That said the thermostat and oil cooler cover can seep enough down the front to fool you. best way to find out for sure is to get the timing belt cover off to see if the pump is actually leaking. If the coolant at the front of the engine is wetter than dry the chance is that most of the coolant is from the water pump.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
johnbasler

2003 VUE 3.0L

thanks!

will get cracking on replacing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

There is a cooler plate that crosses between the heads to keep them cool. There is a TSB out for coolerplate failures on the 3.0 VUE and the L. Take it to Saturn if they would fix it for you at no charge, before you throw parts at it.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:24 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Saturn will only repair for free if the car is still under warrenty.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote