SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
BrockE_25
BrockE_25 is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant port on intake manifold

I see on the intake manifold for my 95sl2 there's a hose that goes into the intake manifold that comes off of the coolant cap. Is it possible to eliminate that and route the line to dump on the road or is the engine made to run the coolant through the engine?
BrockE_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Coolant port on intake manifold

You are talking about a hose that is about 5/8" OD, and connects to the reservoir just under the cap; coming into the rear side of the reservoir neck? That is a necessary hose, leave it connected as it was OEM! Do check that there is coolant flow from that hose into the reservoir.

I gotta ask... why would you want to fuss with that hose?

PS, in regards to this:

"... or is the engine made to run the coolant through the engine?"

Yes, of course the engine is made to have coolant running through it.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 PM   #3
BrockE_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
You are talking about a hose that is about 5/8" OD, and connects to the reservoir just under the cap; coming into the rear side of the reservoir neck? That is a necessary hose, leave it connected as it was OEM! Do check that there is coolant flow from that hose into the reservoir.

I gotta ask... why would you want to fuss with that hose?

PS, in regards to this:

"... or is the engine made to run the coolant through the engine?"

Yes, of course the engine is made to have coolant running through it.
From my observation it looks like once the cap reaches pressure and releases hot coolant it sends it to the intake manifold and runs it through the motor so instead of sending it through the motor I was thinking of just letting it drain out.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You are picturing the flow backwards. There is no overflow in this system.

Coolant is constantly flowing through that hose when the engine is running. Flow is from the engine near the intake into the tank on the fender. It de-aerates the coolant (system is self purging) from air bubbles that constantly form from cavitation. If you disconnect that hose and dump the coolant, the system will empty in a minute or two as you will be dumping all the coolant.

edit: see attached diagram showing current flow direction, courtesy of Low Saturn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolant flow.jpg (194.8 KB, 18 views)
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 01-22-2021 at 12:10 AM.
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 AM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

That is not an over-pressure dump, and does not go into the intake air stream. It is an integral part of the cooling system, flowing into the reservoir all the time.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:24 AM   #6
BrockE_25

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it
Old 01-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You're welcome, that's why we're here

Are you having some kind of cooling problem? Was wondering if there was a reason for your original question.

The Saturn cooling setup is one of the better designs I've seen. It's a closed system. My 2009 Caravan (4.0L) still has a radiator cap and an overflow tank, which will dump coolant onto the ground if the overflow tank gets overfilled. I haven't really looked at the system on my 2017 Elantra yet.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:41 AM   #8
prosocia
prosocia is on a distinguished road

There was once a blind man who had so fine a sense of touch that, when any animal was put into his hands, he could tell what it was merely by the feel of it. One day the cub of a wolf was put into his hands, and he was asked what it was. He felt it for some time, and then said, "Indeed, I am not sure whether it is a wolf's cub or a fox's: but this I know -- it would never do to trust it in a sheepfold."
Evil tendencies are early shown.
voip phone system
prosocia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:06 PM   #9
billr
Master Member

Off topic, but I gotta ask... is this forum still alive? A couple of days now with no posts; that seems very unusual.

As to the spam post immediately above, why isn't that kind of stuff "pruned away" quickly? If Charlie would entrust one of us regulars here with limited admin authority, we could keep on top of that crap.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Part of it is probably just driving less, so fewer problems crop up. I don't visit nearly as often lately, as my car is pretty well sorted, not driving much, and not having much extra time.

When I had to go into the office and things were slow, I could drop in the forum to read. Now, they have a zero tolerance / no personal internet use policy. And now that I am working from home, when i am not busy, I can also do home chores.