SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Ohioboy
Ohioboy is on a distinguished road

Default Headlights turn off randomly

Hello all, I have had my 08 Astra XR 5 sp for about a month and I really like it. I bought it with 5,500 miles. However, I have a weird problem with the headlights. Whether in Auto or Manual mode, the headlights will turn off while driving, just to turn back on a few seconds later. I took it to the dealer and they could find nothing. On the way home from the dealer today, it did it about 5 times.

It does it during the day as well as night. The headlights shut off randomly and the dash gets brighter as it should. With or without fog lights on. I have found no pattern and the dealer didn't find any problems.....what can i check?

Thanks
Ohioboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
strz
strz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Headlights turn off randomly

I (sometimes) have a similar problem- at first, I was highly concerned, but concluded it had to do with the sensor for the auto head lights....
strz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Ohioboy

I thought the same thing as well. But at night on a dark country road, they will go off.....I am afraid that they will just go off and stay of one of these times - of course at the most inopportune moment...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Could just be a loose wire in your headlight switch? Or could be a prob with the main computer module. VCM, CIM or something like that. I had the same problem and had that part replaced and no prob since. Its basically the computer that controls all the electrics in your car. Good luck.
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

It cant be the sensor, since it does it in manual mode as well as auto. But I dont know what it could be.
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

perhaps the switch is overheating and shutting down, or if the headlights are on a relay, then maybe it is defective.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
It cant be the sensor, since it does it in manual mode as well as auto. But I dont know what it could be.
Good point! Perhaps its a loose/corroded ground connection?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
RocNrolla
RocNrolla is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioboy View Post
Hello all, I have had my 08 Astra XR 5 sp for about a month and I really like it. I bought it with 5,500 miles. However, I have a weird problem with the headlights. Whether in Auto or Manual mode, the headlights will turn off while driving, just to turn back on a few seconds later. I took it to the dealer and they could find nothing. On the way home from the dealer today, it did it about 5 times.

It does it during the day as well as night. The headlights shut off randomly and the dash gets brighter as it should. With or without fog lights on. I have found no pattern and the dealer didn't find any problems.....what can i check?

Thanks
I had a similar issue when i first bought the car.... my lights would turn on and off only when using my wipers.....See my Post.....It took me countless phone calls to GM Headquarters and 5-6 trips to different dealers until the problem was solved....
check my posts have the dealer change the module they changed for my issue....
RocNrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
RocNrolla

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNrolla View Post
I had a similar issue when i first bought the car.... my lights would turn on and off only when using my wipers.....See my Post.....I took me countless phone calls to GM Headquarters and 5-6 trips to different dealers until the problem was solved....
check my posts have the dealer change the module they changed for my issue....

Here is the part that was relaced and part number

CORRECTION: (6C) COMPONENT INOPERATIVE
REPLACE VEC AND PROGRAM

PARTS----QTY--------FP-NUMBER----------DESCRIPTION--------
-----------1 ---------- 93190849 ----------BLOCK 024830 SP
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Ohioboy

Thank all of you for your replies/ideas! I will take the part number to the dealer on my next visit. I'll let you know the results.

thanks again
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Ohioboy

Thanks to your posts, my dealer has agreed to order the fuse box under warranty.....I'll let you know if it fixes the headlight problem...
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I had a fellow with an XE stop and ask me about this issue while I was at a local ex-Saturn dealer on unrelated business, and I distinctly remember reading something on the forums pointing towards a defective REC (Rear Electrical Center). It was his third time to the dealer, and of course it wouldn't act up for them. I told the guy what I knew of the matter, and he wanted me to talk to his Service Advisor. But like I said, I was there on business, but told him about the REC and told him where it was located on his car. When I was done about a half hour later, he was gone.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Ohioboy

The part number you gave me fixed the problem. Thank you for saving me untold trips to the dealer - they never had seen an Astra before (Buick Dealer).

Now the daytime running lights work too (i never knew that they weren't working correctly)

Thanks again!

Quote:
Here is the part that was relaced and part number

CORRECTION: (6C) COMPONENT INOPERATIVE
REPLACE VEC AND PROGRAM

PARTS----QTY--------FP-NUMBER----------DESCRIPTION--------
-----------1 ---------- 93190849 ----------BLOCK 024830 SP
Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
RocNrolla

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioboy View Post
The part number you gave me fixed the problem. Thank you for saving me untold trips to the dealer - they never had seen an Astra before (Buick Dealer).

Now the daytime running lights work too (i never knew that they weren't working correctly)

Thanks again!
No problem, glad I helped..... It took me over 6 months and 4 dealer visits, countless calls to GM headquarters Canada to get the problem fixed.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
No problem, glad I helped..... It took me over 6 months and 4 dealer visits, countless calls to GM headquarters Canada to get the problem fixed.
Now I'm feeling bad. The fellow that I mentioned in an earlier post wanted me to talk to his Service Advisor for him, but at the time I thought I had explained what it was in simple enough terms that he could do the talking. Now every time I revisit that dealership, I expect to find him sitting in the customer waiting area still trying to get his problem fixed. It's driving me nuts! I need a drink!
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote