SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
bigsc
bigsc is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Alarm install on 2000 SC1

So, after about 3 1/2 long days, i have finally gotten my alarm installed on my sc1. I have managed to find every wire necessary to complete the install, except the two positive wires powering each turn signal. I have pulled out the bulbs, and found the left wire to be light blue, and the right to be a dark blue, the only problem is I cant find these wires in the fuse box, or even the steering column( the ones I have tried did not work). My other problem is the "headlight/door detection" wire.. is this supposed to be hooked up to that chime that rings when you leave your lights on or door open? or is it simply supposed to be hooked up to the headlight wire?.

I started this thread to see if anyone could help me, but also to help anyone who might have the same(or another 3rd gen) car and may need a little help in this area. The guide on modifiedlife isn't very detailed, so maybe I, or one of the other members could provide some insight.
bigsc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2
Default Re: Alarm install on 2000 SC1

If you'd have provided more info(alarm brand and model#) I could be of more help, but I'll do what I can. Firstly, why are you looking for the signal light wires? Most alarms are designed to flash the PARK lights; the brown on your headlight switch or access it under the hood at either side(you only have to hook up one). Door detection should be white at the dome light.
01 SW2-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
00 SL1-spare
98 SC1-parts
+ 25 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
bigsc

this particular model is an import, and is branded with the name Long-e. In this wiring diagram I am going to post, it clearly says to connect the two brown wires from the harness to each individual signal light, seeing as these are the lights the the alarm chooses to flash. I did locate the brown wire you were speaking of at the steering column, but the fuses blew instantly after arming the system.

here is the diagram
static.zoovy.com/merchant/gooddeals18/le6500pdf.pdf
and the actual model, if you want to see it
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270644965042&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4099wt_888
Old 12-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
bigsc

Question Re: Alarm install on 2000 SC1

I realize I could just go buy the manual for my car, but I'm kind of low on cash.. I just thought maybe someone would know where I could tap in to these wires at a location not too far from the center console
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you aware of your Saturn having the Passlock theft deterrent system using the factory remote keyless entry keyfobs? Any aftermarket alarm system cannot beat GM's immobilizer system that disables the fuel pump and injectors when this is enabled and active during a theft attempt. All you're going to do is install another alarm system on top of the factory system. If that's your intention then so be it. Oh and be sure to use the bypass module so the aftermarket system doesn't inadvertently trip Saturn's system and lock you out completely with a flashing security light blinking at you. I describe this as the mandatory 10-minute time out while you figure out what went wrong.

There's more to GM's Passlock and Passkey theft deterrent system than you realize. Search the threads. Every vehicle manufacturer uses one form or another to disable the EFI system to deter the common thief. Only the very smart thief will drive off with the car. Leave the bells and whistles out; the heart of a true anti-theft system is simply disabling part of the fuel injection system to prevent the engine from running. Its already part of your factory remote keyless entry system when using the Lock or Unlock button.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
bigsc

to tell you the truth, the passlock was never really good for anything.. I could use my original remote to lock the car, and the engine would still turn over( and with a copied key no less). If some kind of bypass module is needed, then I guess I'll deal with that when it comes around, but so far I've had no problems.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
spencerforhire
Advanced Member

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

First I get a bad vibe from this install manual when there's a mis-spelled word on the front page(frequancy); then I just laugh out loud when I see this alarm features a "trembling" sensor! So it's pretty clear we're dealing with the lowest form of ebay imported from who knows where product. But it should work as long as it's hooked up properly; this thing has 2 separate wires for light flash so it can deal with some vehicles that have dedicated left and right park light circuits(I know it says "signal" in the manual) but in a Saturn you can flash the park lights with one wire. You obviously got the wrong one first try(do you own a test light?) Keep looking or go ahead and hook up to the signal wires, but then you'll most likely end up with only the front flashing and not the back.
Not sure what Passlock has to do with his thread; most alarms are installed to protect the vehicle's contents, not to keep someone from driving off with the whole car.
01 SW2-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
00 SL1-spare
98 SC1-parts
+ 25 scrapped

Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As reprinted (partially) from the service manual; The Saturn Security System is a feature that is operated from the RKE transmitter. The Saturn Security System provides content theft protection by sounding the horn and flashing the DRL lamps if a door is opened or the ignition lock cylinder is turned.

GM has already provided two systems; content theft and vehicle theft protection.
VCX NANO
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
bigsc

yes, at first this company seemed a little shady to me, but then I realized that whatever program they used to translate from Chinese or Japanese was just awful.

I will go ahead and use one wire, and connect it to the parking lights, and also the "headlight/door detecting wire" to the dome light like you said. Although, this alarm does have a feature that warns you if you have left the headlights on, which is why I was trying to tie into either warning chime, or headlights.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, and I'll report back the results
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
bigsc

also, I thing my biggest lol moment from this diagram, was when the called the horn a buckle. With this being my first time and all, I found this very annoying
Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its par for the course. The new Chinglish (chinese/english) instruction manuals have been around a few years. No worse than we speak Manglish nowadays. Mangled English..........
VCX NANO
Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #12
bigsc

Thumbs Up Re: Alarm install on 2000 SC1

ok, so I connected one of the brown wires from the alarm harness to the brown wire in the steering column, and now the lights work with the alarm.... yay, but I knew this would work, and it is not my current problem.

Now, I know you said to connect this detection wire to the white in my dome, but I first want to make sure you understand why I don't.

According to the wiring diagram and manual(all on the ebay post), this wire is supposed to be tied into a place where I can actually flip a switch on the brain, and choose whether I want it to detect the headlights or the doors.

Seeing as how the dome light and 2-way pager will already let me know about the doors, I already have this switch in the "headlight detection" position. My first thought was to connect this to the parking wire as well, but that did absolutely nothing
Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
spencerforhire
Advanced Member

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

I've been installing car alarms for 30+ years and I've never seen a "headlight detection" wire. If it doesn't work when you hook it to the parklights, it might be a ground(-) trigger. It would require a relay(or 2 if you want to detect both high and low beams) in order to work. Probably not worth the trouble.
01 SW2-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
00 SL1-spare
98 SC1-parts
+ 25 scrapped

Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Holy cow, I thought schematics in English were easy to read in Digital Circuits, but gosh dang...Chinese screw even the simplest of things up...

Looks to me like your "headlight/door detection" line is really for '91-'96 SC2's...with headlight doors to activate. Not your non '91-'96 SC2.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
bigsc

Checkered Flag Re: Alarm install on 2000 SC1

Sounds good to me, everything else is connected, and I'm happy the way it came out. Thanks again to everyone for all your help and for being so patient with me. This site is absolute gold, and I'm glad I found it