SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Happy Saturn got a Lift

I wonder what size tires will fit now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 2.jpg (99.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (77.5 KB, 33 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Saturn got a Lift

Is this due to a new strut assembly? What brand did you buy? I've noticed that many of the replacement struts raise the vehicle quite a bit

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

I did my all my struts 3 years ago after 380,000km. In my case she was only higher because the old struts were worn and she sagged a lot. Now if I look at the car from pictures we took when it was new, it's normal now. I will add, I parked my 1988 Firebird in my dad's barn for 15 years on blocks. After sitting with no weight on the suspension for 15 years it took the springs and shocks a few days to go down to normal height.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Between the continuously sinking holes in my driveway and probably shot, OE suspension, My Saturn sits pretty low to the ground lol. There used to be a creaking noise in the back when going over bumps or something too hilly, then it went away, then it came back...and then it went away again. I'll have to see how it does this winter but I'll probably be putting on new struts next spring.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

I installed the Monroe Quick Strut assemblies. The SL2 had 100K miles so had not sagged badly. Being a 3rd gen, I decided to replace the springs in addition to strut cartridges and mounts and so decided to do the entire assembly.

For those interested, I was concerned about the associated squeak about which some had complained. I decided to try them and ordered from Amazon instead of RA since the return would be easier if necessary. 350.00 after taxes and 60.00 alignment was 410.00 less an 80.00 rebate. 330.00 all in for all four corners.

No squeaks after a couple of weeks and ~1200 miles. The fronts in my case were notated with an ampersand. 17124 &

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

I've bought Monroe quick struts from both Advance Auto and from a local parts dealer. They were not the same.

They were done on separate occasions (I know, you should replace in pairs...), the first about a year before it sat for 20 months, and once right after resurrection.

The new locally sourced one is noticeably higher quality. Better paint, better boot, better welds, and even a larger diameter piston. The old one is already shot and will have to be replaced soon to match.

I don't know if this is a case of updating and improving a part, a temporary lapse in Monroe quality, Advance cutting a deal with Monroe to box cheaper parts to undercut price, or Advance straight up cheating customers with garbage parts. I'll know better next time.

Cheyne, I temporarily got excited that you used tower spacers to get some extra body clearance. I'd considered this a while back to get larger tires on for a minimal increase height for trail use, but I have to get reliability back in order before that happens.

Incidentally, I think I do have some squeak form the new/better stut, but I'm otherwise satisfied so far. Mine also rode very high at first, particularly relative to the old worn one (lateral, left to right incline was noticeable), but it settled in and decreased.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote