SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General

Old 02-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
relay2005

Default Relay Flickering Lights

Any word on a fix yet instead of a new alternator. Gets kind of old when you keep going back and they tell you it's just another alternator.

Thanks for any input .
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
NLaMain
NLaMain is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Relay Flickering Lights

It does get kind of old doesn't it. I have even had the tech take mine home and the only thing they said was that they couldn't duplicate it. Oh wait now they did see that going 10 km in a parking lot the tech noticed it but this is just a normal function of any vehicle. I am moving in with arbitration. Best of luck to you. I love my van but I can't believe the problems with it and the lack of solutions. Really I hope they do come up with a solution.
NLaMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Cornholio123
Cornholio123 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

I thought it was just me that the dash lights flickered. Our Relay 3 (the 1st one sold in Nebraska) has been doing this for quite a while. Should I take it to the dealer, or is this one of those things that will take too much time and have have no resolution?
Cornholio123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
4littlemonkeys
4littlemonkeys is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Mine does it but I haven't said anything because I figure it doesn't really bother me so why bother. I have other problems and figure I should worry about the bigger stuff first.
4littlemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Okay....don't get too excited just yet........

I talked to my engineering buddy at GM today. A new service alternator has been tested on those customers who are most "pissed-off", and it has proven to fix the flickering light problems in like 29 out of 30 cases. They are in the process or ramping up production of this service part, and a new bulletin won't be released until enough stock is out in the field. Of course due to the good old GM bureaucracy, he wasn't sure if the bulletin would be out in two weeks, two month, or two years!

I've got another buddy I can talk to and see if I can learn anymore. I'll keep you all in tune, but there is a light at the end of the disco light tunnel.

I'm guessing that some service personnel are telling you that the flickering is normal only because they're at a loss as to what else to do! They can only keep replacing your alternator so many times. They're probably as frustrated as you are! Keep the faith, and I'll keep you all informed.
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
4littlemonkeys
4littlemonkeys is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Thank you so much...and hey if a bulletin comes out for the windshield noise please share that one. I figured I would deal with it until there was a bulleting that I can take to them and say...do this.
4littlemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
Bleay
Bleay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinporch
Thank you so much...and hey if a bulletin comes out for the windshield noise please share that one. I figured I would deal with it until there was a bulleting that I can take to them and say...do this.
There is a fix for the windshield, all of the ones i have seen have had a huge gap on the pass side A pillar. Just needs to be sealed up and all is better
Bleay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
PC Paul
PC Paul is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 2.2L

So, the dash lights flicker a little. It can be annoying if you let it get to you. All that it is, is the voltage regulator doing it's job. Apparently the voltage stabilizer in the dash circuit is not up to buffering the voltage changes as the regulator responds to load variations. I haven't heard of any failures caused by this yet, have any happened yet?
PC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
Scuba
Scuba is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2004 VUE Red Line

I just had the latest greatest alternator install and it failed in voltage that it charges the battery at. It goes as high as 15.1 which is just slightly lower than the other 3 that were previously installed. They have somewhat eliminated the flickering lights but the real problem is that this high voltage will overcook your battery and all the electrical components. The previous alternator/regulators (because they are one unit) went as high as 15.3 volts. The new alternator that just came out was supposed to solve this problem and be more dampened to get rid of the flickering. I believe that the new alternator/regulator has solved the flickering lights but has not resolved the problem of the high voltage. According to Saturn they are basing a lot of there testing on my testing, so I guess I am the new testing engineer, unpaid of course.I have lost all confidence in their ability to solve the problem.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba
I just had the latest greatest alternator install and it failed in voltage that it charges the battery at. It goes as high as 15.1 which is just slightly lower than the other 3 that were previously installed. They have somewhat eliminated the flickering lights but the real problem is that this high voltage will overcook your battery and all the electrical components. The previous alternator/regulators (because they are one unit) went as high as 15.3 volts. The new alternator that just came out was supposed to solve this problem and be more dampened to get rid of the flickering. I believe that the new alternator/regulator has solved the flickering lights but has not resolved the problem of the high voltage. According to Saturn they are basing a lot of there testing on my testing, so I guess I am the new testing engineer, unpaid of course.I have lost all confidence in their ability to solve the problem.
You need alot of juice to charge a modern battery. 15V isnt an issue all the modules are designed to handle this type of voltage. Also with the increased voltage less current is needed and the van was probably designed this way to cut costs on wiring.
Carmen
1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
cansat
cansat is on a distinguished road

I had the same flickering problem with my Relay 3. They replaced the alternator about 3 months ago, and no problems since.
cansat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Scuba

2005 RELAY-2
2004 VUE Red Line

Big C when you say that the higher voltage is required, all the electrical companies such as Prestolite etc set their voltage regulators at 14.2to 14.3 volts and consider the high limit to be 14.7 Volts and they refer to anything over 15.0 volts cause for a replacement because of diode breakdown, high stator temperatures an other electrical failures due to high voltage. They make alternators for truck that go up as high as 400 Amps and compensate with amperage output rather than voltage which breaks down components. Saturn has also now changed there specifcation to say that anything from 13.9 to 15.5 volts is acceptable. The new alternater allows the voltage to go down to as low as 12.6 Volts for extended periods of time then goes up to 15.1 volts to make up the loss of power in the battery cooking the battery. You cannot get to a tech that realy understands how the system was designed so I am not sure I am getting a straight scoop. Since I am on my 4th alternator, and if the previous ones were in spec. at 15.3 volts why would they have replaced them. I believe the spec. has been changed so no one can complain about high voltage and when the warranty has run out your left with replacing electrical components that have burned up due to high voltage.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

What needs a thicker wire? Voltage or Current? Answer that and you will see the cost savings. There are actually talks about getting rid of the ancient 12 volt system all together.
Carmen
1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #14
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
What needs a thicker wire? Voltage or Current?
Both actually.

For higher current you need more copper.

To eliminate voltage drop over a long run you need more copper.

I do agree, higher voltage systems in cars should be able to get away with smaller gauge wires.
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

And GOLD does a far better job than copper...but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:45 AM   #16
RedLine004
RedLine004 is on a distinguished road

IM a recent Tech with SATurn fist they told us it was norm opp and they told us it was the ALT.In my owne test i found that 15.0and over may be excessive but vehicle could handle it just fine .I found that internal reg would cause a slight flick during load,so the SAT Engineers told me to replace alt.Im finding that it maybe the nature of the beast like the flickering in the L300 cars .
RedLine004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
mr weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
And GOLD does a far better job than copper...but I'm not holding my breath.
Silver is actually the best conductor of them all but I don't think you'll see them anytime soon either.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
Scuba

2005 RELAY-2
2004 VUE Red Line

Red line, I find it interesting that you like other tech's know that high voltage is not good, but now that saturn has said that 15.5 Volts is acceptable everyone at Saturn is backing off. Unfortunately the battery manufactures etc. are not, in fact if you replace your battery and they do a load test on the alternator and the voltage goes up to 15.0 volts they will not stand behind their warranty. You may not find any problems in the short term but overall you will find problems down the line with burned out components. General automtive and truck standards that are accepted by the industry, says that voltage regulators should be set to 14.2/14.4 volts in lower temperatures and 13.5/13.9 Volts in warmer temperatures. Most of the newer cars have temperature sensors that will change the charging voltage depending on the temperatures, which I understand, but to just say the new voltage acceptable is 13.9Volts up to 15.5 volts is a way to solve a problem they cannot or do not want to fix without regard to what happens later.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #19
NLaMain
NLaMain is on a distinguished road

I do have a question...More then once I have been told that this is just a normal function of my van...If this is so and there is nothing to be concerned about why did they fix the problem with the 06 Relay?...and why if they could fix it on the 06 can they not fix it with my 05?

I also have seen people refer to people who are vocal about their problems on this board as haters....My concern is for other people and if I can save one person the headache that I have had with this van then it is worth it to me...I am not saying that they should not purchase the Relay I am just saying that perhaps it is not a good idea to invest over $30 000 on the 05 model which definitly has problems...Before people past judgement they should go through some of the things that these "haters" are going through...Do you know how scary it is to be driving with your kids in the van and go to pass some one on a double lane highway and be cut off by a transport who is sure you are signalling them to enter the lane?...Perhaps you should put your families lives at risk and then talk about who is a hater...Not only that I do believe that there are problems with every vechical but it is the correction the customer service that counts when the problems do happen...GM has provided nothing as far as that goes and my dealership has no customer service skills...I have been through three service managers in the last year at my dealership.

I hope they do come up with a solution...Really I love my van and without the problems I would not be more pleased...I like the look of it and I like the way that it drives but I have no faith in it.
NLaMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #20
mr weather

There's nothing wrong with discussing issues about your car (Saturn or otherwise) but be constructive about it. Present the evidence. Explain the situation. You'll get more positive feedback that way.

The problem is many "haters" go off into rants, vowing never to buy GM/Saturn/whatever again, blah blah blah.

That's what causes people to get defensive and judgemental.