SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
katefan0
katefan0 is on a distinguished road

Default Power steering pump question (new mechanic messed something up)

So, I took my '97 SC1 to an unfamiliar mechanic, but who was recommended to me by a friend, because I don't live close enough anymore to my old mechanic.

You see how this starts out? Yeah.

Anyway, it was making that screeching noise it makes when something's wrong with the belt or tensioner, and so I took it in and they ended up changing the belt and tensioner both, and also recommended I change my power steering pump. It's been leaking a while so I gave them the OK.

I pick my car up and darn if I can't turn the wheel. At all. While driving! I round back around to the bay and tell them there's no way the pump's working. They look and tell me it's "blown out." So they replaced it.

And it's working ... kinda. If I go out to drive my car from a cold start, I can barely turn the wheel unless I give it some gas in neutral. What do you think that is? Once I give it some gas, it turns fine. And while driving it turns fine. Once I get it going, for the most part it turns fine even when I'm sitting still. But sometimes it'll get tight again if I'm stationary and turning the wheel even after I've been driving a while (especially if I'm reversing?) -- but mostly it's a problem turning from a cold start. What in the world do you think that is? Belt's too tight? Wrong part? Pressure low?

I can't figure it out but I think I'm going to have to take it back in to them to figure out what's wrong, and it'd be nice to have something to suggest to them, since I'm not too sure about their abilities.

Any ideas helpful, thank you...
katefan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default Re: Power steering pump question (new mechanic messed something up)

Sounds like a poor preforming rebuilt pump. See if there is a loose electrical connector hanging in back of the engine near the pump. They may have replaced your pump with a non evo pump.

Steve
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
katefan0

I don't think it's rebuilt (although who ever knows these days), because the first go-round he showed me the part box it came in, it was ACDelco. I realize this isn't definitive proof, but.

I'm not completely unfamiliar with cars, but I have no idea where my pump is. How do I tell to look at it? What side of the car is it on?

signed,
a determined lady who's not afraid of popping the hood but has limited knowledge
Old 08-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TvSteve View Post
Sounds like a poor preforming rebuilt pump. See if there is a loose electrical connector hanging in back of the engine near the pump. They may have replaced your pump with a non evo pump.
It most likely originally had a non-EVO pump. But that begs the question, what if they replaced it with an EVO pump, and of course, no signal to the EVO? Would it "default" to a nearly-closed orifice?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I think the last time there was a discussion of EVO and disconnect it was decided that there was no power assist when disconnected.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
katefan0

EVO? You mean one that has some kind of electric control vs. one that doesn't?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
katefan0

Huh. OK. But wouldn't that make it so that it wouldn't work at all, whether I was actively giving it gas or not?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The EVO steering is on the Sx-2 versions and you have full power assist at low speeds and it decreases as the road speed increases to no assist by the time you are traveling at 30 mph or above. If you put an EVO pump on a non EVO equipped car you have no power steering and its hard to turn. The EVO solenoid is on the bottom of the pump and has an electrical receptacle on it. Its right against the fire wall on the back left side of the pump.

If you have an EVO equipped pump on a Sx-1 car you will have no power assist.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
katefan0

Thanks so much for the answer OldNuc. I'll try to check it when I get home from work tonight. Although, once I've been driving it a while and then stop, the power steering works. So this might argue against that theory, right? If it's this problem, it shouldn't work at all while I'm stopped, whether I'm turning the wheel from a cold stop or whether it's after I've been driving a while. Once I've been driving a while, generally I can turn the wheel from a stop fine.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Thats odd. Take a mirror and look up behind the pump for the EVO valve. Might be that the fluid thins out enough due to the heat to leak through the valve enough to provide some assist.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefan0 View Post
I don't think it's rebuilt (although who ever knows these days), because the first go-round he showed me the part box it came in, it was ACDelco. I realize this isn't definitive proof, but.

I'm not completely unfamiliar with cars, but I have no idea where my pump is. How do I tell to look at it? What side of the car is it on?

signed,
a determined lady who's not afraid of popping the hood but has limited knowledge
ACDELCO Part # 36516245 {#88991362}
PUMP,P/S(Remanufactured) Single Overhead Camshaft; 2 DOORS; W/O RESERVOIR

Looks like a rebuilt pump, (AC Delco) parts listing from Rockauto. IMO a bad pump or a slipping belt. Return the car and have it repaired to your satisfaction. It's not working correctly.

Steve
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote