SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2
Default 96 SL1 w/bad motor - salvage for SW2?

Hi, my mother in law has a 96 SL1 that she didn't maintain (oil, etc.) She already had the motor replaced a number of year and now she says the motor blew again. I might have the ability to get this car for the cost of towing it but before I ask I want to know if there are any useful parts that will be cross compatible to my 95 SW2. Her 96 SL1 is a standard, my 95 SW2 is an automatic.

Also, what are the chances of the motor not being trashed and instead repairable? I know this isn't going to be as rugged as the 4.0 in my jeep but those motors have been known to lock up due to lack of oil but still sometimes survive and be functional by breaking it free, without a rebuild.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2
Default Re: 96 SL1 w/bad motor - salvage for SW2?

Just noticed the swap guide sticky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Grab the car and we'll go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

Accessories and underpinnings will all be the same. Evereything else is different. Where are you from anyways?

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
junker

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
Accessories and underpinnings will all be the same. Evereything else is different. Where are you from anyways?
In the vicinity of Belfast.

Thing is, I don't want to ask for the car unless I think it will be of some use. I like projects but I don't really need another yard fixture.

What's the history of these motors as far being rebuildable with success & little expense? (I can probably constitute a few hundred bucks for parts).

If it did truly seize up then what kind of damage might I expect? These are known for cracked heads too aren't they?

I know the oil wasn't maintainted, I used to add oil to it when she would come to visit and I know that she said it had disappearing coolant recently.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Assuming she spun a rod bearing you could use any bottom end from 93-02, from either SOHC or DOHC motor. (you'd have to swap pistons over if you got a DOHC) Slap your existing head on there and you're okay to go.

Alternately park it for a bit and watch "uncle henrys" for a car with a rotted engine cradle/subframe or a busted transmission, pick it up for $150, and make one from two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
In the vicinity of Belfast.
As in Ulster? Wow, you and your MIL might have the only Saturns there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote