SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
TenaciousMe
TenaciousMe is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default 2007 Saturn Ion Throttle Body Position Sensor Issue

Iím having some issues with my throttle body position sensor. The car first threw the engine light and low power light a few week ago and went into limp mode, got the code read as p0122. Did some research and tried cleaning the connection that runs along the floor by the driver door. That solved the issue for about 20 miles and then it threw both lights again and went back into limp mode and throwing the same code. We then tried cleaning the actual throttle body and that seemed to help for about 10 miles but again threw the same code and lights and went back into limp mode. Did some research and ended up going to the junkyard and pulling the accelerator position sensor (gas pedal) since the car a drive by wire system. I replaced the one on my car with the one from the junkyard and it worked for about 73 miles before having all the same issues again. We did not do a relearn as we werenít really sure how. Iím at a loss for what the issue could be and what I can do to try to fix it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TenaciousMe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TenaciousMe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TenaciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Ion Throttle Body Position Sensor Issue

With drive by wire systems, most systems are configured with three items; ecm, electronic pedal and electric throttle. When reduced power is activated, it usually means one of the three parts or wiring is faulty. If I'm not mistaken, P0122 is a throttle position error. Saturns uses dual position sensors in throttle and pedal for safety against any chances of an engine runaway condition. When one of four feedback sensors becomes faulty, an error code pops up and reduced power mode occurs to limp home or at least drive off the road to make the emergency call. Early throttle assemblies are fixed with zero repairs. Newer versions have steel clips holding a cover to the main body, suggesting replacement parts may be available to restore an assembly back to factory condition. If your throttle assembly has these steel clips holding a cover, you may be able to remove the clips and examine the inside. Most throttle actuators using a servo motor have a dc motor, two position sensors and a temperature sensor. The most likely wear items may be the position sensors. Finding replacement parts may be difficult and require patient searching. Your alternatives are used or new throttle assemblies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #3
TenaciousMe
TenaciousMe is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks so much. Do you think just replacing the whole throttle body might resolve the issue? And is the only way to do a relearn by finding someone or somewhere that has a computer to do that with?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TenaciousMe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TenaciousMe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TenaciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I came across information a few months ago describing newer electric throttle bodies having serviceable parts to repair them at lower cost than buying a new one. I cannot guarantee success with throttle assembly repair or replacement but the error code points to it. If this were my car, I would check wiring, connections then throttle assembly. If I my throttle body has replaceable parts, I would disassemble it to see if parts are worn and search for throttle body distributors selling parts - they're likely distributing to dealers and national chain stores as well as other online distributors as sources of parts the public never tries searching for. There's also salvage yards to find used throttles too if you decide to take a chance on used parts. Or eBay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote