SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
slugbug
slugbug is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default SC1 To Ion compatible parts?

I'm scrapping my '99 SC1 and was wondering if any parts are compatible with a 2003 Ion. Specifically the radio, electric door locks, electric window mechanism, and wiper motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slugbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slugbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: SC1 To Ion compatible parts?

I’m fairly certain nothing is directly compatible between an S series and an Ion... wheels aren’t even 100.0% direct fit, when I put a series 14” wheels on my Ion I had to add spacers

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1

if u want I always use ebay and whatever part you look at should have list of cars it fits. . If your in ebay motors have your car selected for the part and look at the list in part . You can do this on gm direct too . I use these sites as reference so when I go to junkyard I can get the parts I need cause the counter person does not always know what I need. I m a mechanic by trade.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

The Rims, rear view mirror, light bulbs.... that's about it....

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Radios from third gen S-Series are compatible with 2003 Ions with no modifications. They will also physically fit into 2004-2005 Ions with no modifcation necessary, but wiring is different.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 181K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 192K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 31K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Radios from third gen S-Series are compatible with 2003 Ions with no modifications. They will also physically fit into 2004-2005 Ions with no modifcation necessary, but wiring is different.
99 is 2nd gen for the most part minus engine... so it won't work

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
99 is 2nd gen for the most part minus engine... so it won't work
Third gen S-Series are 2000-2002. That isn't debatable. First-hand experience confirms they are compatible. The only exception would be using the single DIN CD player in a 2003 Ion w/AAS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
slugbug

1999 SC1

So an original double DIN radio/cd player/equalizer from a '99 SC will fit in my 2003 Ion? Saved the Infinity component speakers I had in the SC1 and would like to use the radio too. For some reason the CD player in the Ion will not play copied CDs, it just spits them out with an error. message. May need to get new speaker crossover boxes for the speakers though. The Infinity ones were siliconed into the door bottoms and I don't see a way to remove them without breaking them. I guess there's no safe way to dissolve silicone without melting plastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help slugbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, there are two types of CD players. The original CD players recognize wav files from original copies. Mp3 cd players recognize copied music from iTunes, mp3 sticks, etc. The two formats are different from each other. Wav files are original music CDs, mp3 files are the abbreviated versions burned onto blank CDs to pack hundreds of music files onto a cd. All the sticks with music are mp3 format. Aftermarket radios may play both CDs. Your copied CDs are probably mp3 and won't play on original radios with CD players recognizing only wav (original music CDs) files. You'd have to burn your music back to wav files to play them on an old CD player.

Silicone won't melt with high heat from a torch. If you can, use a new sharp blade to slice thru silicone to break the bond holding the speaker to the door frame. The speaker metal frame serves as a guide to slice thru silicone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
slugbug

1999 SC1

Took out the Ion radio and it has different power connectors than the '99 SC1, so definitely not a direct fit. Tested the Ion cd player and it spits out all cds, original and copies burnt with mp3 files, so it appears like the laser is messed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post
Took out the Ion radio and it has different power connectors than the '99 SC1, so definitely not a direct fit.
Yup. As I said in posts 5 & 7, they only work with third gen S-Series (2000-2002).

Quote:
Tested the Ion cd player and it spits out all cds, original and copies burnt with mp3 files, so it appears like the laser is messed up.
None of the 2003 Ion radios will play MP3 files from CD. Only the 2004-2005 radios that have "MP3" printed on the faceplate will play them. All 2006-2007 Ion radios also will play them, but those won't fit in any S-Series without modifications. However, a couple members did do this successfully a few years ago (link to thread here).

It's possible that the laser in your radio is just dirty. You might try using one of those laser cleaner discs with the brushes on them if you have one or can find one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Took out the Ion radio and it has different power connectors than the '99 SC1, so definitely not a direct fit. Tested the Ion cd player and it spits out all cds, original and copies burnt with mp3 files, so it appears like the laser is messed up.
The laser isn't messed up. As mentioned previously, older stock radios play only original (wav) cds manufactured as music cds. Any pirated/copied music files converted to mp3 (shrinking file size to allow hundreds of songs on custom made cds) are not accepted as genuine music cds. The technology for music cds (wav files) occurred before mp3s came out. Older radios simply kick out mp3 cds with either an error message empty display. The cd player is fine. Just insert a real cd and the player should recognize and play it. It just won't play mp3 cds, period. Either upgrade to radios with cd player capable of playing genuine mudis cds and mp3s or convert your mp3 cds to wav files. Guess how I know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The laser isn't messed up. As mentioned previously, older stock radios play only original (wav) cds manufactured as music cds. Any pirated/copied music files converted to mp3 (shrinking file size to allow hundreds of songs on custom made cds) are not accepted as genuine music cds. The technology for music cds (wav files) occurred before mp3s came out. Older radios simply kick out mp3 cds with either an error message empty display. The cd player is fine. Just insert a real cd and the player should recognize and play it. It just won't play mp3 cds, period. Either upgrade to radios with cd player capable of playing genuine mudis cds and mp3s or convert your mp3 cds to wav files. Guess how I know?
The OP already stated that they tried playing a regular CD. I can't think of what else an "original" would be.

Older CD players can't play mp3 files because they simply don't have the capability to decode them. It's not because the CD player recognizes they are not "genuine." CD players in general don't care about whether or not a disc is an authentic copy. As long as the discs are recorded in the correct format, and it can interpret them (i.e. disc is not too scratched/damaged), they will play. You can make traditional CDs from MP3s or any other compressed format using a computer with burning software. The files are just converted to the correct format (PCM - similar, but not the same as WAV) during the burning process. A correctly burned CD-R will play in virtually all CD players regardless of the player's age.

Last edited by ruley73; 04-20-2019 at 01:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
slugbug

1999 SC1

Will try using a cd cleaner but failing that I guess I'll have more figuring to do.
I wanted to use the S series radio but since the harnesses are different I'm not sure how to connect the two, I doubt they make a harness adapter to install an older Saturn radio into my Ion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Older cd players only recognized '.wav' files, the original music CDs made for sale. They do not recognize mp3 files, the universal compact song files made famous from Napster. I don't know about PCM song files and if they were/are another form of digital data for music. All I know is original music on CDs are wav files. Pirated music is mp3. Since mp3 songs are compacted, more songs can be burned onto blank CDs compared to wav files that take up more space with limits to the number of songs per cd. I have a stock cd player in my L300 playing only wav files. It won't play mp3 music on cd. I had an aftermarket am/fm/cd player in another car that played both formats but preferred mp3 CDs as one burned cd can have three times as many songs compared to twelve songs from an original cd with wav format. Back then, factory stock radios playing cd music adhered to the digital music rights so they didn't adopt mp3 playing format to honor the retail music business. The aftermarket doesn't care and simply met demands to play both formats. If I'm not mistaken, this is still in effect with factory stock radios, if they have cd players, to play only wav files/original music CDs. Most if not all radios did away with cd players and have a plug-in.......for mp3 signals - the iPods, USB sticks.

There's a limited life to cd players since they use a small laser beam to read CDs. Laser and tiny motors - one for spinning CDs and the other to move the laser across CDs. Two moving parts, one laser and the electronics.

I don't play CDs often so it may be one reason mine lasted 16 years. Even my burned CDs, in wav file format skips. Its not the laser or motors as music skips in the same place. The silver foil that's burned flaked so it sounds like an old vinyl record when sounds are skipped.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-25-2019 at 05:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Older cd players only recognized '.wav' files, the original music CDs made for sale. They do not recognize mp3 files, the universal compact song files made famous from Napster. I don't know about PCM song files and if they were/are another form of digital data for music. All I know is original music on CDs are wav files. Pirated music is mp3. Since mp3 songs are compacted, more songs can be burned onto blank CDs compared to wav files that take up more space with limits to the number of songs per cd. I have a stock cd player in my L300 playing only wav files. It won't play mp3 music on cd. I had an aftermarket am/fm/cd player in another car that played both formats but preferred mp3 CDs as one burned cd can have three times as many songs compared to twelve songs from an original cd with wav format. Back then, factory stock radios playing cd music adhered to the digital music rights so they didn't adopt mp3 playing format to honor the retail music business. The aftermarket doesn't care and simply met demands to play both formats. If I'm not mistaken, this is still in effect with factory stock radios, if they have cd players, to play only wav files/original music CDs. Most if not all radios did away with cd players and have a plug-in.......for mp3 signals - the iPods, USB sticks.

There's a limited life to cd players since they use a small laser beam to read CDs. Laser and tiny motors - one for spinning CDs and the other to move the laser across CDs. Two moving parts, one laser and the electronics.

I don't play CDs often so it may be one reason mine lasted 16 years. Even my burned CDs, in wav file format skips. Its not the laser or motors as music skips in the same place. The silver foil that's burned flaked so it sounds like an old vinyl record when sounds are skipped.
Again, music on an audio CD is written as PCM data. PCM is the method of converting an analog voltage signal to a binary number and is technically not a file format. WAV is the file format commonly used to encapsulate PCM data (with an additional header) to make it usable on a computer. WAV files alone will not play on a CD player because of the extra header. When you make audio CDs from WAV files, the extra header is stripped by the software during burning process.

Not all mp3 music is pirated. If I rip an audio CD that I purchased to mp3 format, I have the right to do this for my personal use. As long as I'm not making a profit from these files, I'm not breaking the law.

Automobile manufacturers and their CD players never cared about digital music rights or the retail music business. OEMs just simply took a few years to figure out that customers wanted the ability to play MP3s in their cars. It's no different than other audio features (e.g. Bluetooth, aux input, USB input, etc.) that are now expected to be in today's brand new cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!