SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
SR20FL
SR20FL is on a distinguished road

Default *Pics*Help installing new head unit after old one being ripped out *warning 56k*

Okay, this is the first time I am installing a head unit, I am ready to install a new mp3 head unit in a family member's 1996 saturn SL 5 speed (with no factory power options whatsoever) for a christmas present.

I am wondering if I am missing anytihng since the old Alpine unit was just completley ripped out by some newbies who caused more damage to the interior than the radio costs.

The only thing that is cofusing me is that I have not seen what the back looked like after the factory radio came out. I am now installing this after the old head units have been stolen TWICE and I don't know what was ripped out and what was not. (the first time was done much more neatly, however they took the whole car then ran out of gas and ditched it). Time to put an alarm on a 100% base SL.

Here is what it looked like after some minor touching up, and bending some metal back into place. The trim is already cracked so its time for some krazy glue!

All done

Now I am wondering if I am missing anything. These are the only things that I had found in the empty hole. Is there anything missing?

Another pic of what I am guessing is the harness?

A pic of what I am assuming is the antenna adaptor

Here is what Ive got. The red and white ones on the right hand side say that they go to the speakers, but I don't see any connection. Where will those go?

Please let me know if you see anything missing in any of the pics

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SR20FL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SR20FL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SR20FL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
JarredW
JarredW is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: *Pics*Help installing new head unit after old one being ripped out *warning 56k*

i haven't installed my radio yet but if those 2 pairs of red and white wires are female rca jacks then they go to a sub if you have one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JarredW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JarredW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JarredW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
blsman
blsman is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: *Pics*Help installing new head unit after old one being ripped out *warning 56k*

You can get a new mount and a wire harness. Also, an antena connector. You can get a good mount on Ebay because I have not seen any mounts for Saturn at Autozone, but you can get other things there. It cost around $20 I remember. Don't cut the wires come from the dash. Also, you can go to Bestbuy to get installation kits. It's pretty easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
SR20FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarredW
i haven't installed my radio yet but if those 2 pairs of red and white wires are female rca jacks then they go to a sub if you have one
Thanks for the info

How about the third pair of the red and white (towards the bottom right) that says "CD IN" ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SR20FL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
SR20FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsman
You can get a new mount and a wire harness. Also, an antena connector. You can get a good mount on Ebay because I have not seen any mounts for Saturn at Autozone, but you can get other things there. It cost around $20 I remember. Don't cut the wires come from the dash. Also, you can go to Bestbuy to get installation kits. It's pretty easy.
So the harness that I have in the pics won't work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I'm assuming the old radio was STOLEN? (The mount and trim surround are damaged) The harness pictured and the antenna plug are all you need.

GO TO WALMART and BUY the harness adapter!

DO NOT just start cutting and splicing wires!

You'll thank me later.....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
SR20FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
I'm assuming the old radio was STOLEN? (The mount and trim surround are damaged) The harness pictured and the antenna plug are all you need.

GO TO WALMART and BUY the harness adapter!

DO NOT just start cutting and splicing wires!

You'll thank me later.....
Yeah , it was stolen. So I already have the harness and the antenna plug?

Okay, so all I have to do now is go to a place like walmart or autozone(?) and ask for a harness adapter? Does it have to be for a saturn specifically or the harness adaptor is universal?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #8
JarredW

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

cd in is for a disc changer im guessing. the stock harness goes to the oem radio. you need a herness so you don't have to splice the wires. you pull those connectors apart on the new radio so you don't have to use wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JarredW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20FL
Yeah , it was stolen. So I already have the harness and the antenna plug?

Okay, so all I have to do now is go to a place like walmart or autozone(?) and ask for a harness adapter?

Thanks
The harness addapter will PLUG IN to the plastic OEM connector in your pictures. It will have pre-stripped wires to connect to the head unit you are installing. 99 times out of 100, the COLOR of the wires coming out of the harness adapter will MATCH the colors of the wires going into your new head unit, making the install (wiring wise) basically plug and play. The harness adapter runs about $10 at Walmart (look for a GM harness adapter for the SAME YEAR as the car, and check the back of the package for compatability) it will also include (generally) a antenna plug adapter as well. (Which you may or may not need depending on your head unit....it will be OBVIOUS if you do...two very different sizes)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #10
SR20FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The harness addapter will PLUG IN to the plastic OEM connector in your pictures. It will have pre-stripped wires to connect to the head unit you are installing. 99 times out of 100, the COLOR of the wires coming out of the harness adapter will MATCH the colors of the wires going into your new head unit, making the install (wiring wise) basically plug and play. The harness adapter runs about $10 at Walmart (look for a GM harness adapter for the SAME YEAR as the car, and check the back of the package for compatability) it will also include (generally) a antenna plug adapter as well. (Which you may or may not need depending on your head unit....it will be OBVIOUS if you do...two very different sizes)
Thank you very much . I really appreciate both of you guys(JarredW blsman and wolfman) for helping! This site is awsome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #11
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

After my head unit was stolen I stopped putting money into it. Its seems a little counterproductive to keep putting head units in for them to be stolen. Alarms are great, but a brazen thief can be in and out in 30 seconds (longer than it takes you to hear your alarm and come running). To each his own, but man, I cant afford that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
JarredW

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonba
After my head unit was stolen I stopped putting money into it. Its seems a little counterproductive to keep putting head units in for them to be stolen. Alarms are great, but a brazen thief can be in and out in 30 seconds (longer than it takes you to hear your alarm and come running). To each his own, but man, I cant afford that!
just take off the faceplate and lock your doors. its hard to get the faceplate because most companies don't sell them by there selves because of stolen stereos i was told. also if you lock your doors and take it or hide the faceplate then someone won't want to go through all the trouble of getting it out, because it won't be functional

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
cazzylee
Advanced Member
cazzylee is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
just take off the faceplate and lock your doors. its hard to get the faceplate because most companies don't sell them by there selves because of stolen stereos i was told. also if you lock your doors and take it or hide the faceplate then someone won't want to go through all the trouble of getting it out, because it won't be functional

Actually that's what I believed as well, but there was a discussion a few months ago about how easy it really is to get new faceplates.

Madness takes it's toll: Please have exact change.
SES light + unplugged sensor = testicle ownage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cazzylee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cazzylee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cazzylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Somebody oughta make dummy faceplates that look like cheapo OEM radios.

Or I suppose the ambitious among us could make one out of an old OEM radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #15
SR20FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzylee
Actually that's what I believed as well, but there was a discussion a few months ago about how easy it really is to get new faceplates.
Even if it is easy to source faceplaes, 98% of sterio theives won't waste their time doing it because they can always move on to the next guy who left his faceplate on his sterio. I personally know alot of stupid people who do this, and alot of them don't even know what to do with the radios they steal because alot of the people they try to sell it to will not spend more than $20-$40 on a stolen radio with cracked pieces, etc. If they don't know what to do with them, they defenatley will not waste their time stealing radios without faceplates, and wasting gas/more time to source a faceplate.

BTW the unit is an Insignia CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3/WMA and to my suprise it only cost $85 after everything, and after I installed it($69.99in the box at Best Buy). For $85, its nothing special, but it looks and works great!

Last edited by SR20FL; 12-24-2005 at 12:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #16
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
I agree, when you park somewhere "dangerous" dark parkinglot, etc (just not your driveway), take off the faceplate and stick it under the seat or in the glove box (somewhere out of site). An alarm with an ignition disabler will make it a bit harder to steal the whole car, but will not perterb a serious radio thief. In general, alarms are useless except against the random joy rider (who will just move on to the next car without an alarm). If a thief wants your car, or your radio, they will take it; there's nothing you can do to prevent that except by making it undesirable; and since you probably won't be happy with a junk radio; just take off the faceplate, it makes it much harder, even if they could get a faceplate (their likely to move on to the next with the faceplate intact). Also, I've seen some new head units that have a full display (no buttons) that goes dark when you turn it off; it looks like it has no faceplate; this is easier, but probably not quite as safe if someone looks closely. Good luck with your new radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #17
JarredW

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzylee

this may be true but a theif won't steal a radio, then search for a faceplate just to sell it for "crack" money

we should start a poll as to who has gotten their radio stolen when the faceplate was removed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #18
lukecp
lukecp is on a distinguished road

This past July, I had the head unit stolen out of my '97 SL. I had left my car parked at work for a week while on the road (everyone who worked there did this). I had taken the faceplate off my Alpine MP3/WMA player and put it in the glove box. The theives broke in anyway, stole the head unit and faceplace, and then took the time to smash in my windshield and back glass, after breaking the driver's side rear window to get in. Counting the head unit, about $1000 in damage to my car, or half of what it is worth. Luckily they didn't mess up the dash removing it though.

Anyway, what I learned from that was not to leave my car unattened anywhere besides my own driveway for so long, especially at night, to park in more well-lit areas, and if I leave my car for so long, to take the faceplate with me. Where I worked was at the edge of a residential neighborhood, so one of the punks who stole the head unit probably happened to see me put the faceplate in the glovebox, or guessed that I had and got lucky. Just a few days ago I replaced a crappy old Sony head unit with another Alpine MP3/WMA player, and am going to be smarter about this one.

2000 Subaru Forester L, 5MT
FORMER: 1997 SL, 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lukecp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lukecp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote