SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #41
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Key stuck at ACC, replaced BTSI (Pics & Videos)

update: my son took the car in for the extended warranty fix. only one GM dealership in town that does saturns (upscale Cadillac one, LOL).
they kept him in the waiting room for 3.5 hrs and returned the car unfixed: no parts, had to order them first. he was not a happy camper. son, welcome to the joy of car ownership.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #42
Greg T
Greg T is on a distinguished road

My son was given a 2003 Ion as his first car by a relative. Car was driven daily by a grandmother, so overall it is in very good condition with 117K miles. Having this same switch problem, so after reading this thread, part is ordered, instructions printed, and ready to try the replacement. I'm going to file for reimbursement also, why not!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #43
rmills06
rmills06 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to the OP! 5 years later and still on point. I replaced my BTIS in about 20 minutes less the time it will take to put it all back together. Glad to have the issue resolved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rmills06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rmills06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rmills06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #44
ryan_ion
ryan_ion has a spectacular aura aboutryan_ion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

In case others stumble on this- GM did offer a special coverage for the BTSI.. I had mine replaced by the dealer free of charge a while ago.

2007 Saturn Ion 2- Totaled @ 120K miles and dearly missed.
...control arm bushings(x3), wheel bearings, end links, axle seal, intermediate shaft... but still the original battery!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryan_ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryan_ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryan_ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:08 AM   #45
Mike89
Mike89 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I knew of no such GM option to fix this. They replaced my ignition switch on a recall but made no mention of the BTSI fix.

Anyway as time has went on, I've replaced this part 2 times already. The part is just a poorly designed piece of junk that GM really screwed up on. It just doesn't last very long. I'm having the occasional issues with this again and now when it happens I just press the hidden button on the underneath of the steering column. Jeez, GM. Though unrelated, another problem with this car is the two trackbar bushings. I've also had to replace those. You'll know when they start to go bad, the front end starts "popping" on you.

On a positive note on my Saturn, I just replaced my battery for the first time after 8 years! Never had a battery last me that long.

Yup, I'm still driving this stupid looking Saturn. Still runs like a top. Can't fault the motor in this sucker (and hell even the AC still works), it's a good one.

I'll probably continue to drive this thing until it leaves me stranded somewhere and then I'll just call the junk yard to come get it.

Last edited by Mike89; 07-12-2017 at 04:21 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #46
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post

Anyway as time has went on, I've replaced this part 2 times already. The part is just a poorly designed piece of junk that GM really screwed up on. It just doesn't last very long. I'm having the occasional issues with this again and now when it happens I just press the hidden button on the underneath of the steering column.
i though you used a part rated for 1,000,000 cycles?

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #47
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

If that number was true then this part failure wouldn't have been a problem for anyone and this thread wouldn't exist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #48
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

shrug, 1,000,000 cycles is what you said in your old post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #49
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

my car has recently had these symptoms a few times. im keeping an eye on it for now.

2004 saturn ion auto with 204,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #50
bingnune
bingnune is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

This is a great thread! Thank you for taking the time (so long ago...) to go into such detail on this and then post it for our convenience! This is a Godsend!

There were a couple other videos that were posted around the same time as this thread originated that may be helpful for those of us out here still wrestling with our steering column to press that stupid white button! Seeing it after reading the information provided here made it all come together for me. This should be a short project for the fix.

The first video is mainly the disassembly of the console, which might be helpful to some (on a 2005 Ion), and a quick repair of the switch. Since I am still working toward being able to hyperlink, I would suggest going to YouTube and searching for the term "Saturn Ion key ignition stuck, part 1" to find it.

The second video is after the same owner took the entire shifter out of the vehicle and replaces the switch only. He does not remove the entire solenoid and provided a link in the comments about getting the switch. This is like what was discussed above by a few others. You can search for that video on YouTube "Saturn Ion key ignition stuck, Solved ! Part 2"

In another SaturnFans thread on this topic, this info was also provided about where to get the switch and instructions for installing it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USR03URN View Post
A replacement for the Cherry microswitch can be gotten from Digi-Key Corp. part # CH290-ND. To replace this switch you must be adept at soldering or get someone who is. The switch comes without the metal lever that presses on the switch button. The lever can be removed from the old switch by prying the pivot tabs out with a thin bladed knife. Then simply snap it on the new switch. Terminal 2 the NC terminal is not used and may be cut off. Solder in the new switch and route the wires back to their original positions and test the operation.
(my emphasis)

The second video shows the above steps very clearly and I found it helpful to see it out of the car (even though I would never do that myself!) and on the bench.

Thanks again to everyone that contributed to this thread! You guys rock!

I am not a mechanic, but I'm learning.
I will ask a million questions if I don't understand. I want to know 'the how' and 'the why'.

--> I'm also issuing a SARCASM warning...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bingnune's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bingnune reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bingnune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #51
bingnune

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ion View Post
In case others stumble on this- GM did offer a special coverage for the BTSI.. I had mine replaced by the dealer free of charge a while ago.
I have run my VIN to see if there are any recalls that are outstanding on my car but it shows nothing. I know that the previous owner didn't get this repaired because the access cover was missing when I got it a couple years ago. I didn't know why there was a hole under the steering wheel but found out when it started acting up. I would love to know about the recall info for that if anyone still has anything on it... (crossing my fingers and hoping really hard!)

Thanks in advance...

I will ask a million questions if I don't understand. I want to know 'the how' and 'the why'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bingnune reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #52
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

If that access cover was missing, it showed the previous owner had the same problems. I have just left my cover off cause I frequently have to press the little button in there to get the key out sometimes. I've replaced that BTSI assembly in the console like 3 times already. Hell with it, I'm not doing it again. I just use the button when it's being stubborn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #53
bingnune

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I agree with you, Mike89. They knew there was a problem, but I don't think they had the repair done... If they did, then it failed again.

You weren't notified of the "recall" at any point (even after you did multiple repairs yourself), right? If I remember, you replaced the whole part assembly twice and then just did the switch the third time. You said you had found a switch that was supposed to have a million cycles compared to the OEM 6,000-10,000 cycles. How often does your key stick now?

I wanted to try to find out if anyone still had any information so I can contact a GM dealer and try to get it fixed/paid for through that. I think I found some info by searching around a bit. For some of you, I may have found good news. Mine, possibly not so much... This is taken from GM Authority dot com (I still can't post hyperlinks, but I'm getting there...) I may come back and edit, if it will let me (and I remember!) Anyway, here is the article:

General Motors Offering To Remedy Stuck Key Issue In 2.2 Million Cars
BY SAM MCEACHERN — DEC 12, 2014

General Motors is offering to fix certain Chevrolet Cobalts, Saturn Ions, Pontiac G5s and other affected models which may have an ignition switch cylinder that keys can get stuck in, Automotive News reports. This problem affects the same 2.2 million small cars recalled due to an ignition switch which may slip out of position while the car is in motion, disabling the brakes airbags and other crucial systems.

GM said it isn’t issuing a recall for the problem, as it doesn’t pose a safety risk to the customer. The key will only get stuck in the ignition if the car is stationary, which may cause the battery to go flat if it cannot be moved out of the “accessory” position to the “off” position. The problem is reportedly caused by the automatic transmission shifter, which doesn’t transmit an electrical signal to allow the switch to be turned off.

Yesterday GM notified customers of a “special coverage adjustment” that will offer a free fix to any owners whose cars are experiencing the stuck key problem. The automaker estimates the defect affects about 3 or 4 percent of the 2.2 million cars, all of which are automatics. Around 1.4 million of the affected cars have already been repaired under GM’s ignition switch recall.

The stuck key repair could take about 3 hours depending on the model, with GM advising dealers to provide a courtesy car to customers while the necessary fixes are made. Letters will be mailed to the 2.2 million owners next week informing them the warranty for the fix is good for 15 years after the car’s sale, making all affected models eligible for repair.

Models with a key-sticking issue, AN says, include the 2005-2010 Cobalt, 2006-2011 Chevy HHR, 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice, 2007-2010 Pontiac G5, 2005-2006 Pontiac G4/Pursuit, 2007-2010 Saturn Sky and 2003-2007 Saturn Ion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #54
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I did that recall. That was just to replace the lock cylinder, not the BTSI assembly. To my knowledge, Saturn has never acknowledged the BTSI problem.

The ignition switch/lock cylinder (which are separate parts in the Saturn) problem was a different problem. That one had to do with the security 10 minute lock out deal because of bad grease in the ignition switch. I had that problem too lol a long time ago. That problem has been long gone since me replacing the ignition switch. Then the recall came to replace the lock cylinder which I also had them do (since it was for free), but I had already replaced the lock cylinder myself before that, so I just had them do it again. The recall actually said "Ignition Switch" so I don't know if they replaced both the ignition switch and the lock cylinder or not. In a lot of cars the ignition switch and lock cylinder is one unit, on the Saturn it's two separate parts, you can replace one without replacing the other.

The BTSI issue is an animal of it's own. Each time I replaced it, I was good for about a year then same problem returned. Now it's doing it quite a bit, like at least once a day. I even bought the little switch separately and soldered it on to the BTSI assembly but haven't tried that one yet. I've just been lazy not tearing into the console again, maybe because of my lack of confidence in my soldering job, heh.

Last edited by Mike89; 08-19-2018 at 11:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #55
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Tried to edit my post above again but too much time had passed. Specifically the issue I have now is that sometimes key turns to shut the car off but then won't turn that one more position to remove the key. That's where that button comes in. Press the button and it allows the key to turn that one more position to get the key out. Or you can just wait it out and eventually the BTSI switch will release on it's own allowing turning to remove key. You can even hear it release if it's quiet enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 AM   #56
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

My BTSI is starting to add up. $50 on Ebay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #57
saturnku
saturnku is on a distinguished road

Great Thread! Picked up an 05 Ion at a local auction with a broken key in the ignition. Didn't think much of it until I went to remove the cylinder and I couldn't get it to retract all the way in the off position. After a lot of wrestling, I got it out, and the key removed. Once the key removed it took me 2 weeks to get a copy cut (ACE FTW!). Local GM dealer was no help since the car wasn't registered (to pull the key code and cut me a key).

Anyway, got back with my new key and had this same issue and everything started making sense on why the key was broken in the first place. I happened to find the white button to get the key out and then came across this thread. Since I spent under $1000 on the whole car, I was looking to spend as little as possible and opted to go the switch replacement route. The switches referenced in this thread and a youtube video seem to be obsolete. There is a similar replacement I didn't try (honestly because it was a few bucks more with no guarantee of working). I went with a cheaper alternative on Digi-Key. The part number is MS0850502F050S1A and I can't post a link because this is my first and probably only post.

I spent 5-6 bucks shipped to my door and soldered the new one in minutes. However unless you are a pro at soldering, I'd recommend removing the harness so you can do it in a more comfortable position. There is a major drawback on this switch though. The non-operating distance is higher than the original so it does not engage. I shimmed it with some foil to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the great thread Saturn fans! I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a direct OEM replacement in 2018 where no shimming is required. I'm also curious to know why you aren't supposed to short this switch out completely if people have to resort to using the white button every time. I'm sure it's a requirement for all car manufactures for the key to not come out unless in park, but on a 13 year old car, I don't understand the increase in safety.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnku's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #58
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Common leaf switch used anywhere its needed; https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...543-ND/1628280
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS0850502F050S1A_sml.jpg (14.7 KB, 0 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote