SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
StrnWolf
StrnWolf is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SL1
Default Power Restriction Affect Running?

After I came across a link about the F5 wire in the IPJB for my 95 SL2, I wonder if I made a big no-no when I took the "easy way" to fix it. Apparently seeing so many with same issues makes me realize it must not have been the poor security system install from a while back.

Back when I fixed this Saturn before it was mine, the chime would not work, neither would fuel pump or a few other things. I ran a new wire to fuel pump and got it working, engine ran but the trans apparently was not getting any power as well because it never shifted out of 1st gear. The security install was AWFUL, I mean they stripped some wires and loosely wrapped some new wires around the exposed wires. There was one 18AWG wire that was connected to positive somewhere, never found where. But anyways, I got a fuse tap thing from auto parts store where you can connect a new item to a wire and it plugs into the fuse slot to share the source. I used it in reverse. I found the chime was not getting any power, so I connected the 18AWG wire to the adapter and plugged it in, and ever since, everything has been working perfect for over 2 years.

My concern now is, the adapter wire is too thin, it gets hot when car is running, I believe it is about 20AWG but it is 3 inches so short length of tiny wire. I already spent hours on the car so I just left it like that. By using it in reverse it powers ALL the F5 items including trans. But now my concern is, could the restriction of current affect how the engine runs, such as MPG, sensors, fuel/air mixture, etc etc. It runs PERFECT, minus the jerk when moving from a stop which I assumed is the TPS.

There are still some remnants of wires from the system which are super annoying so I want to remove the all from the source and also want to know if I should tackle the job of doing a better repair. I KNOW electrical, been actually doing it since age 7, but I was just so tired and wanted to be done, so I just left it like that, with intention of going back but never did.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2
12/2009-PRESENT (Soon to die) 1994 SL1

Last edited by StrnWolf; 08-12-2018 at 06:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrnWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Power Restriction Affect Running?

If one knows electrical, then follow through as if you were safely wiring someone elses house/car/project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Power and ground paths need to be matched in size, or if anything a larger/better ground path. ANY wire in the path needs to be able to safely carry the entire load on the path otherwise it's a dangerous fuse-able link.

Replace the wire with at least a 14awg wire

wouldn't hurt to carry a electrical rated fire extinguisher within arms reach with this hack...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
StrnWolf
StrnWolf is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Power and ground paths need to be matched in size, or if anything a larger/better ground path. ANY wire in the path needs to be able to safely carry the entire load on the path otherwise it's a dangerous fuse-able link.

Replace the wire with at least a 14awg wire

wouldn't hurt to carry a electrical rated fire extinguisher within arms reach with this hack...
In my defense, I had zero idea what the load even was, so would not have been able to know the right size. BUT, now I know the load and the correct wire size, and thanks to the post about this issue I know what to look for. Just need to get more solder and a new iron. I moved twice in last 12 months, and my solder stuff has not been found when I looked recently, not happy at all. I have two other solder jobs I need to do on this car as well, so now about 16 wires I need to solder.

On a related note, almost all the wires are under the hood right next to engine, what does the temperature get to at its max? Need to make sure what I use to cover joints, does not melt or worse since next to engine.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2
12/2009-PRESENT (Soon to die) 1994 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrnWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote