SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Swapping seats into my LS1

On my LS1 the driver seat is in real rough shape. The left bolster is pretty much gone and the main cushion has collapsed into the springs. Seeing as how this model is just a hodgepodge of GM parts bin, I am curious about what seats can swap into this car. Is there any sort of resource or part interchange list on what I can drop into my LS1? Is there anything I can pull from a junkyard that is more comfortable than the factory seats?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bromli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
bromli

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Swapping seats into my LS1

I forgot to mention in my original post, my car has base model cloth seats with no power. Its manual handles and adjustment. I have read that Saab 9-3 and 9-5 seats will swap in (since theyre also on the 2900 platform). However, I am assuming the saabs had fancy pants power seats and were probably not optioned with regular controls, so am I correct in assuming a power seat swap wouldn't be viable?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I see leather L seats at the junkyard all the time. They are power and can be put in your car with a little work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
bromli

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
I see leather L seats at the junkyard all the time. They are power and can be put in your car with a little work.
If I swap power seats into a car with manual seats, would I still have the capacity to move them back and forth?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromli View Post
If I swap power seats into a car with manual seats, would I still have the capacity to move them back and forth?
I believe so. Underneath the driver's seat is a black plastic power receptable box which the seat belt warning wiring connects to. There are also one or two female connections which are remain unused when the manual seats are installed. To the best of my knowledge, all that's necessary is to plug in the power wiring from the replacement power seat into that box.

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

The L series is unusual (certainly to me) in that Saturn installed one wiring harness in all models. Most manufacturers have different harnesses depending on the spec level of the car. That means for the L series it already wired up for power seats, foglamps and all switchgear. All you have to do is install the parts and with the power seats, they just plug in.

My son has an 03 L300 which came with a cloth interior. His drivers seat began to show wear. I stumbled across an L series in the JY with a leather interrior which was in 99% perfect condition. I got all seats plus all door cards for about $150.00. I sold the old interior for I think about $75.00, so it was a cheap swap. The only thing to remember is that to remove the front seats, they are held in by 2 bolts at the back. The seat has to be all way forwards to do that. With a manual seat you simply manually move it forward. With a power seat you need power. In a JY you will need to improvise and will need a 12 volt power source. I bought a battery box which holds 8 x AA's. Collectively they provide 12 volts. I had to splice into the cars wiring harness by the fronts to seats power the drivers seat forward and I managed it. Everything came out fine and the interior look wonderful.

Personally I wouldn't go to the time & trouble of working out whether seats from other cars will fit. They will use different runner systems and that may involve you in welding, etc. Not worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
bromli

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I believe so. Underneath the driver's seat is a black plastic power receptable box which the seat belt warning wiring connects to. There are also one or two female connections which are remain unused when the manual seats are installed. To the best of my knowledge, all that's necessary is to plug in the power wiring from the replacement power seat into that box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
The L series is unusual (certainly to me) in that Saturn installed one wiring harness in all models. Most manufacturers have different harnesses depending on the spec level of the car. That means for the L series it already wired up for power seats, foglamps and all switchgear. All you have to do is install the parts and with the power seats, they just plug in.

My son has an 03 L300 which came with a cloth interior. His drivers seat began to show wear. I stumbled across an L series in the JY with a leather interrior which was in 99% perfect condition. I got all seats plus all door cards for about $150.00. I sold the old interior for I think about $75.00, so it was a cheap swap. The only thing to remember is that to remove the front seats, they are held in by 2 bolts at the back. The seat has to be all way forwards to do that. With a manual seat you simply manually move it forward. With a power seat you need power. In a JY you will need to improvise and will need a 12 volt power source. I bought a battery box which holds 8 x AA's. Collectively they provide 12 volts. I had to splice into the cars wiring harness by the fronts to seats power the drivers seat forward and I managed it. Everything came out fine and the interior look wonderful.

Personally I wouldn't go to the time & trouble of working out whether seats from other cars will fit. They will use different runner systems and that may involve you in welding, etc. Not worth it.
You guys are both right. Took it out just now and saw that the manual seats had 4 holes but only one was live and connected to the seat belt. The are 4 pins on the connector mounted to the car, so a power seat would in fact swap in easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Also unless your upholstery is torn the only problem with your seat is the cloth/rubber piece that supports the foam. The support seems to tear in the rubber part. The last seat I repaired I swapped the support piece from a passenger seat that was still good. I used hog rings and a pair of hog ring pliers to secure the seat cover to the frame. Pig rings will work also, they are a little bit smaller. A lot of factory upholstery is installed this way. I drilled several holes for the hog rings. The early seat covers attach with a plastic lip similar to the way door rubbers fit over the lip. The 2002 and later seats use a small rope to try and hold the fabric onto the steel frame. Every one of the late seats I have has had a bad rope and the cover is loose on both front seats. I put 2001 seats in my 2002 and the cover popped loose right away and slid forward. When I get time I will pull the seat and drill and hog ring the cover in the correct place. For me the cover and the foam slowly slide forward and become uncomfortable.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #9
bromli

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Also unless your upholstery is torn the only problem with your seat is the cloth/rubber piece that supports the foam. The support seems to tear in the rubber part. The last seat I repaired I swapped the support piece from a passenger seat that was still good. I used hog rings and a pair of hog ring pliers to secure the seat cover to the frame. Pig rings will work also, they are a little bit smaller. A lot of factory upholstery is installed this way. I drilled several holes for the hog rings. The early seat covers attach with a plastic lip similar to the way door rubbers fit over the lip. The 2002 and later seats use a small rope to try and hold the fabric onto the steel frame. Every one of the late seats I have has had a bad rope and the cover is loose on both front seats. I put 2001 seats in my 2002 and the cover popped loose right away and slid forward. When I get time I will pull the seat and drill and hog ring the cover in the correct place. For me the cover and the foam slowly slide forward and become uncomfortable.
You're right about that one. The part that caused the issue was a blown out fabric on the bottom. Like you said, the rubber tore clean apart and caused the seat to develop a sinkhole. To fix it I just got a few pieces of wood, trimmed them down to fit, and shoved them underneath in between the cushion and the metal seat frame. Its a bit hillbilly, but it is a working cheap solution. The ride is firm but its nothing a few aftermarket seat cushions can't fix. Also, good info on the 02 models, if I wind up taking a trip to the local junkyard I will try to identify the earlier models and pick seats from those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!