SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
DaveB1
DaveB1 is on a distinguished road

Default I'm gonna shoot it!

Sorry for my first post I'm asking for help y'all....

I will try to give you as much info as I can.

2007 Saturn Ion II 2.2 4 ltr 147K miles. P304 or 340 (Number 4 cyl misfire) Engine light is on.
Replaced the Spark plug 1st. Reset computer and it lasts usually for a minute or two then starts running rough. Code pops up again. Individual coil replaced, reset computer same thing. Guy at Advanced said his did the same thing.... had me convinced it was the Mass Air Sensor. Replaced same issue. Cleared code... drove 10 plus miles until the engine light came back on and not a rough idle until then. Switched #3 coil for #4 reset and no fix. Switched injector from #3 to #4 and no change. Today I went to Auto Zone he read the code, cleared the code and it took 17 miles before the engine light came back on and it started idling rough again.
Changed the upper O2 sensor today. No change, but when I disconnected the old one and went to the parts store it did seem to run real good. I might have been dreaming..LOL
When i disconnect the #4coil wire connector it runs pretty rough so spark isnt the issue it seems.
It starts a little hard, can smell gas when I stop sometimes. Also, the catalytic converter smells now. Shifts hard but when the engine light is off shifting is normal.
I did have the fuel pump replaced under warranty and I picked up a new filter that I need to install.
Sometimes the engine light blinks... not on all the time.
Idle RPM's are around 800
If the RPM's are at 1,000 no noticeable miss.
Highway and Interstate Driving no issues with the exception of the engine light on.

Going on a 16 hr trip to Traverse City Michigan (985 Miles) next Thursday to cook for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I can get a used PCM and have it flashed, but so far everyone I've talked to said its highly unlikely that is the issue. Money's tight, sure would like to fix it before I leave without having to sell my first born.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaveB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaveB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: I'm gonna shoot it!

I'd guess this is a fuel issue since cylinder #4 is last in line at the fuel rail.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 46K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

first off, have you performed any PM? I have a whole thread on things that need to be cleaned and checked on a regular basis on ions. not all of them are common sense...

it sounds like you might have injector/buildup issues across the board (causing incomplete burning and/or misfires), and cylinder 4 might have especially bad buildup, making it the one that acts up. you can try running a tank of fuel through it with a REALLY good dose of fuel system cleaner in it (gumout makes a good product, look for all "check+"s next to all categories, and just dump the whole bottle in.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gumout-All...eaner/16888906

you might need to take your injectors in for a cleaning, or may even need new injectors. the o2 sensor has nothing to do with a misfire code, and even has it's own code, the same for the MAF sensor. the 07 is unique with the 2.2, it has no ICM to go bad (highly encouraged by the fact it's right in the heat), and you're right, the ECU on these cars has been really reliable, with no clear pattern of failure. you might also consider replacing your fuel filter, and checking fuel pressure at the rail.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
DaveB1

I ran a tank full with additive (I had forgotten) maybe in June. Gonna change the fuel filter tonight. Thanks for everyone's advise so far!

Dave!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DaveB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
first off, have you performed any PM? I have a whole thread on things that need to be cleaned and checked on a regular basis on ions. not all of them are common sense...

it sounds like you might have injector/buildup issues across the board (causing incomplete burning and/or misfires), and cylinder 4 might have especially bad buildup, making it the one that acts up. you can try running a tank of fuel through it with a REALLY good dose of fuel system cleaner in it (gumout makes a good product, look for all "check+"s next to all categories, and just dump the whole bottle in.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gumout-All...eaner/16888906

you might need to take your injectors in for a cleaning, or may even need new injectors. the o2 sensor has nothing to do with a misfire code, and even has it's own code, the same for the MAF sensor. the 07 is unique with the 2.2, it has no ICM to go bad (highly encouraged by the fact it's right in the heat), and you're right, the ECU on these cars has been really reliable, with no clear pattern of failure. you might also consider replacing your fuel filter, and checking fuel pressure at the rail.
The OP said they switched injectors around. If a bad/clogged injector was the source of the problem then the misfire would have moved to cylinder #3 and triggered code P0303.

To the OP: I'd replace the fuel filter and see what happens, but if you have access to a fuel pressure gauge I would test that too. It is also possible that your fuel pump is getting weak.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 46K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, but the injectors may all be getting plugged, also.

with the miles, I would probably run another one, just to be sure. especially if you don't run top top tier fuel on a regular basis. GM highly recommends top tier fuel in these cars because the injectors are prone to plugging (there's even a TSB about it) if you have weak fuel pressure at the rail, and plugging injectors, this would have a stacking effect on injector performance.

did you inspect the injector connector, spark plug boot, ect... at cylinder 4 for weak links?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
DaveB1

Fuel pump that was replaced under the warranty (a few miles after ) Recall item ;o) about 40k miles ago. So I'm hoping its ok. Fuel filter next.

Thanks ya'll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
DaveB1

Anything special to get the main fuel line to budge from the filter? It will spin and move slightly but.... holy cow... Will have to try again tonight after soccer practice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, a fuel line disconnect tool

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
DaveB1

I will run another can of good stuff through it my fellow Michigander! What the heck kinda tool are you talking about for the metal line that looks just pushed in? I can't just use some more muscle? LOL
Thanks for the help it is really appreciated!

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hedFrom=header

the kind available from your local parts store.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
DaveB1

Got a good can of fuel system cleaner in it now. Checked the rail pressure. 60 and 65. No leak down. Reset the code... drove 10 miles, ran like a dream then the engine light came back on... ugh! Will change the fuel filter when I get home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
amok
amok is on a distinguished road

Too soon to expect improvement from additive. If it is working, you may see the light come on a few more times with the interval increasing each time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
DaveB1

Update, gas filter replaced. and so far my favorite engine light is still on. Rough idle.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So far, injectors, ignition coils and fuel filter were replaced/swapped with no improvement. Maybe with 147k miles, a mechanical problem is showing. It can't hurt to run a compression test, dry then wet to determine engine health.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
DaveB1

Met a guy at Advance Auto that runs a shop here. Said I could borrow his gauges so I can check the compression. I will do that today. He is the one who hooked his gauge up and checked the fuel pressure for free.
That was real nice of him !

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!