SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Suge Knight
Suge Knight is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3
Question Extended Warranty...is it worth it if discounted?

New to this board and new to Saturn as of yesterday due to the purchase of a 2005 Relay 3.

I passed on the extended warranty (covers all services and oil changes + rental car for 5 yrs/60k miles) even though we were offered a discount of $300 off the regular price. Now the sales mgr is calling asking if he discounted it even more ($420 off reg price) would I be interested.

Since you folks are way more Saturn savvy than I could you help me decide if this is worth it? I am not familar with Saturn prices for services and with the various comments and opinoins re: the Relay I am not too sure of the vehicles reliability.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I mentioned researching the Relay using this board when I spoke to the sales people. They'd never heard of it but then again, they didn't seem too familar with the Relay either?...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suge Knight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suge Knight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suge Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
acesell1
acesell1 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Extended Warranty...is it worth it if discounted?

WELCOME!

Well look at it this way: It the first model year of an all new van. More then likely you will have issues that may reach past your basic warranty. Just look at Saturn L cars

Do you feel it’s worth the extra money? Yes, then get it, but ask yourself these questions

Look at what IS NOT covered (fine print)

Make sure that it is a Saturn or GM warranty not some “special company”

Hold out a little bit longer they might go lower, or name your price…..warranty’s are a money maker for the dealer .

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics: no matter who wins you're still retarded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acesell1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acesell1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acesell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
62sunbeam
62sunbeam is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with a third party warrantee?
I don't know what they quoted you but my dealer wanted $2300 for a 5yr 100mile warranty.

I've found them on line for less than $1000 and they seem to cover everything but wear items and the airbags.

I nee to check with AAA to see what they recommend but I also know that warrantees are the single largest moneymaker for the dealer. The finance guy always makes the most money in the dealership.

Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 62sunbeam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 62sunbeam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
62sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
acesell1
acesell1 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62sunbeam
What's wrong with a third party warrantee?
I don't know what they quoted you but my dealer wanted $2300 for a 5yr 100mile warranty.

Ahhhh… Some third party warranties are not worth the paper that they are printed on. That is why I stick to the GM extended.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics: no matter who wins you're still retarded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acesell1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acesell1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acesell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

There are so many things on moderm cars (vans?) these days that more and more are likely to go wrong. My wife recently had a problem with her clutch assembly and it was covered under warranty. Whew. Even covered a rental car.

How, with all that said, make sure you get an actual Saturn / GM warranty. Aftermarket ones can cause you trouble.

If you are leasing, cover yourself for the whole lease period. If not, make sure you get at least 5 years of coverage.

A small amount of money now will save you THOUSANDS later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
sntopp
sntopp is on a distinguished road

You may want to check out the Extended Vehicle Coverage without the oil changes. There are two packages from Saturn one is called Car Care and includes oil changes, the other is just the Extended Vehicle Coverage. It is less expensive and a better value. If you can get him to discount that one, go for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sntopp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sntopp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sntopp is offline   Reply With Quote