SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Blind898
Blind898 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Seafoam in oil good idea bad idea?

I read you can put seafoam in oil to help clean out some gunk right before an oil change. Iv trolled around the web and came up with alot of ppl saying how its a very bad idea. BUt it sounds like they dumped it in and keep driving. The method im talking about is putting in maybe 1/3 or half a can in the oil. Running it for 2mins shut it off. Drain oil and change the filter and put new oil in. Would this be a bad idea? I just replaced my PCV valve and there is some thick ass gunk inside my valve cover. Right where you can take the PCV valve off and take the oil cap off you can see thick gunk. I was thinking if i did the seafoam oil deal before i changed my oil would this clean all that out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blind898's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blind898 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blind898 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Seafoam in oil good idea bad idea?

I'd rather change the oil more often.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Some folks run about a pint or so of MMO in the crankcase for about 300 miles prior to an oil change.

Many suggest AutoRx treatment(probably two cycles) as a slow but effective way to clean a dirty engine.

Is Seafoam labeled for the use you are contemplating?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I can say seafoam is labeled for that use. In fact the official label for normal use goes 1/3 can in the oil, 1/3 can in the gas tank, and 1/3 can sucked up through a vacume line/ throttle body SLOWLY (did I mention SLOWLY) with the car operating at normal temperature. My understanding for this is that if you get too much liquid into the car you will hydrolock it and distroy the piston rods.
I do have a can, but I have not used it yet. I hear it makes a great white cloud show when done that way though, just the thing to get the attention of the Global Warming crowd, ironicly though if it works there would be less being burned in the car.
the website for those interested is seafoamsales

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Bad idea, very bad idea actualy. See the sticky thread on oil additives.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38696

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Never said it was a good idea or bad, just that it was labled and marketed for that application. That was good reading though, OldNuc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Before going into all the fine points of oil and fuel additives, the one "rule of thumb" I follow -- If it's not oil-based, or aprx. the viscosity of engine oil, don't put it in your oil. MMO is at least close to engine oil in its viscosity, so whatever else might be said about it, it won't thin your oil. Seafoam doesn't really have a "viscosity"; it's about the same consistency as gasoline. IMHO it's way too thin to put in your crankcase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabercatPuck View Post
Never said it was a good idea or bad, just that it was labled and marketed for that application. That was good reading though, OldNuc

Blind898, however, did ask if it was a good idea. Through the intake maybe. In the oil - No.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
NO_SPRK
NO_SPRK is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

i use it all the time! its made cars pass smog, helped bring back old motorcycle carbs back to life and i use it alot in crankcases.

depending on the size engine (i usualy use it in inline 6s and v8s) i put between 1/3 and 1/2 a can in the oil and let it IDLE for a few minutes before dumping the oil.

me and some friends are always buying old barn cars so we have to bring old junk back to life

96' SL1 Base w/ AT•AC•CC -61k miles-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NO_SPRK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NO_SPRK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NO_SPRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1

I cleaned mine a couple oil changes ago. I bought a case of oil and three filters. I drained the oil and put on a filter. Then put two quarts of oil and two quarts of kerosene in the crankcase and let the car idle for 10-15min. Then drain the oil and change the filter and fill the crankcase with regular oil. Drive it for a weekend then do your regular oil change. Worked great for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote