SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Classic or Antique Plates

Does anyone else have these?

We just got back from the Michigan Secretary of State office (DMV) - with the temp Historic Vehicle plate for our 93 SC2. (teal, manual - non A/C ) Only 30 bucks for 10 years. Good for shows, parades and unlimited use during August.

In Michigan it's 26 years old to be eligable.

I'm considering it for our 92 SC2 as well...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Re: Classic or Antique Plates

I was thinking of transferring my 97 SL2 to these style plates for Minnesota as it is 20 years here. The only issue is that, at least in Minnesota, cars with these plates are meant for "show" and not for any daily driving. Somewhat of an issue considering that I use the car nearly daily for everything but car shows. I actually have seen a 2nd gen white SC with it around my area too.

Heard it is somewhat of a grey area to the police around here, but I'd rather not risk it as the car could get impounded. Though I believe you can get away with only having a single plate on the car with collector plates as not older cars had two plates in mind, so may be nice.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
I was thinking of transferring my 97 SL2 to these style plates for Minnesota as it is 20 years here. The only issue is that, at least in Minnesota, cars with these plates are meant for "show" and not for any daily driving. Somewhat of an issue considering that I use the car nearly daily for everything but car shows. I actually have seen a 2nd gen white SC with it around my area too.

Heard it is somewhat of a grey area to the police around here, but I'd rather not risk it as the car could get impounded. Though I believe you can get away with only having a single plate on the car with collector plates as not older cars had two plates in mind, so may be nice.
We keep 3 cars registered and insured with standard plates. One for me, one for my SO and a spare.

Having a 4th car legal is a bonus.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
The only issue is that, at least in Minnesota, cars with these plates are meant for "show" and not for any daily driving. Somewhat of an issue considering that I use the car nearly daily for everything but car shows.
From what I hear, the key is to find every car show in the state and keep a copy of the next one in your car. that's the one you were driving to (or from, because you forgot your toothbrush at home)

Pack a bag with an extra change of clothes or two . . . because you were heading up to that show early

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Well for what it's worth, I just finished speaking with an officer from a smaller Minnesota county here. I talked to him about this and he recommended I use Collector plates when transferring my plates from Illinois as he hasn't heard of YOM plates.

I asked him about restrictions on the plate, he told me that he hasn't heard of anything specific on them and will only have an issue if the plate information doesn't line up with the car.

Would be nice to not pay yearly tabs. Especially with no mileage limit in Minnesota

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Does anyone else have these?

We just got back from the Michigan Secretary of State office (DMV) - with the temp Historic Vehicle plate for our 93 SC2. (teal, manual - non A/C ) Only 30 bucks for 10 years. Good for shows, parades and unlimited use during August.

In Michigan it's 26 years old to be eligable.

I'm considering it for our 92 SC2 as well...

You only get one month of 'unlimited use'? How do they even enforce that; pull you over the rest of the 11 months?

Classic plates are supposed to be for 'occasional' use, or 'car shows', yet I see plenty of regular vehicles driving every day with classic plates. No one is taking a plain jane early 90s explorer to a car show at 6am, likewise with a beater toyota pickup in the middle of the day.

If it's a spare vehicle, not used often, I'd do it and don't worry about it. There are way more important things cops look for, unless they're bored or have to make their quota. I'd hesitate to get classic plates on a daily driver, as you never know when an accident may happen, which can open a can of worms.

95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote