SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
npdimonte
npdimonte will become famous soon enoughnpdimonte will become famous soon enough

Dizzy Code 32.....again!

My EGR problem started last Christmas on my '93 SL2 and has been getting worse ever since. I have replace the EGR value, solenoid, broken vacuum lines, ETCS. I have tested the TPS and Map sensor, both found to be good. Removed throttle body and cleaned it along with the IAC. Just replace the thermostat.

One test bothers me tho. I thought that if I moved the EGR value manually to open the value, the idle should become rough, if not kill the engine. But, I did not notice any change in engine RPMs. Is this normal or do I have clogged ports to the EGR?

If clogged, how best to clean them?

One thing I've noticed since this problem has started, my engine doesn't ping any more. This confuses me even more. I don't know what to make of it. Help please......

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to npdimonte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help npdimonte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
npdimonte is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Code 32.....again!

If you actually opened th valve and the idle did not change then you have plugged ports. Remove valve and block off the manifold port so the engine does not immediately rev up to 4000 RPM. Use a piece of metal. Start the car and exhaust pressure will blow out the exhaust side. Shut it off and push a long tie wrap through the intake passage to make sure its not plugged either. Pull PCM B fuse for 3-5 minutes and replace. Replace EGR and go for a drive and maybe the code will stay cleared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
npdimonte
npdimonte will become famous soon enoughnpdimonte will become famous soon enough

Never thought of doing that. I'll give it a try tonight. THANKS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help npdimonte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
npdimonte

Well, last night I took off the EGR value, could feel a good flow of exhausts come out of the EGR port. However the vacuum on the other port was there, but didn't seem to be as strong as I thought it should be. Sprayed some carb cleaner down this port, which almost killed the engine, in hopes it would loosen the carbon. I had tried to push a long tie wrap down the intake port, but could only get about 3" at most. This is a concern to me, but not knowing what angles this port has, I'm not sure if I was just hitting a 90 deg bend.

How far should the tie wrap go into this port?

I have a service manual that states a code 32 could be set by restricted ports. Removing the intake manifold looks like a pain. Is this what I might have to do to clean out this port? Is there another way?

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you had the intake port open and the engine did not rev up to the limiter then the port is restricted. With the engine off squirt some carb cleaner in there and let it sit for a while and continue to prod with the tie wrap. It will clean out but it will take time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
npdimonte

I'll soak it tonight, but could you give me an idea how far the tie wrap could go in the intake port?

Thanks again,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Hold the tie wrap next to the runner on the side of the head and the port runs from the EGR seat into the manifold, basically 4 or 5 inches.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
npdimonte

Fixed!!!!

Last night I was able to shove the tie wrap down the intake port, about 10-11". However, what little vacuum I did have was now completely gone. I never noticed that the intake manifold had a fifth port from the cylinder head to the throttle body section. This extra port has a coolant passage and an EGR passage. The coolant must be used to cool the EGR gases.

Anyway, once I figured out that the EGR passage must exit near the throttle body, I began looking for the other end of this passage. After removing the throttle body, the first thing I noticed was how black and slimy the inner walls of the intake manifold was. I believe this was due to a faulty PVC value that I replaced last year. The second thing I noticed was a cavity near the opening of the throttle body, but, due to all the black slimy stuff, it was hard to figure out what this cavity was. I tried to clean it up a little with carb cleaner, but the carb cleaner fluid just formed a puddle in this cavity. So, I figure I'll let this soak. But then, I thought, while thats soaking, I'll try to pressurize the EGR passage from the EGR value side. When I did this, I saw air bubbles in that puddle of carb cleaner! That cavity was actually the other end of the EGR passage.

I could feel a blockage in this cavity, so I bent a long 5" nail at about 2" and used it to dig out this blockage. Used a vacuum cleaner to suck up the debris and compressed air from the other end to blow out the remaining debris. That cavity turned into a large port from the EGR value.

This whole problem with the code 32 was this clogged EGR passage. I wasted good money on an EGR value and solenoid. The biggest mistake I made was not recognizing that when I manual opened the EGR value during idle, that the engine RPMs should have noticeably changed! This stupid mistake of mine cost me time (10 months) and money.

Now that the passage has been unblocked, the engine quickly rev-ed up to 4K. What a difference. Thanks OldNuc for your suggestions.

Thanks again,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Now that one was really plugged. The car will run much better now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!