SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
btnadiga
btnadiga is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1997 SL1
Default Disaster?

The threads in the socket where the valve-cover retaining bolt screws got stripped. Precisely to avoid something like this, I rented a torque-wrench from Autozone to screw on the valve-cover retaining bolt. But I guess with its two foot longggg handle I did not have a feel for this wrench and screwed up....

To give you an idea of the mess, the bolt screws on but keeps turning after getting to the end..

I am eager to find out what it will take to replace the threads in the socket. I'm obviously looking for the easiest way to achieve this given time restrictions

Please help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btnadiga's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btnadiga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
btnadiga is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Disaster?

Helicoil for that size bolt. You need the Helicoil, installation tool and tap. As its metric you may have a bit of grief finding one locally, depending on where you are located. NAPA and industrial supply houses usually have them. You will not have to drill out the hole first as when the threads pull out its ready to tap. What did you set the torque wrench to? Those bolts are torqued to 89 inch pounds, that is about 7.4 ft lbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

Chilton said 22 ft. lb. But I guess I should have tried the wrench on a few trial bolts.... I think it was the newness of the wrench that may have been part of the problem...

I live in Los Alamos. There is an Autozone and a NAPA auto parts store (open only weekdays though..)

I'm assuming it would be very difficult to get a next sized self-tapping valve-cover retainer bolt. Is there a chance I may be able to get something like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help btnadiga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Wow, he's right. The Chilton/Haynes does say 22ft/lbs. That's way to much for cam cover bolts. I wonder how many other people are snapping cam cover bolts because of this?

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

Would any of you know the right helicoil kit for the 96 SW1 valve-cover retaining bolt and a good place to order it from. I suspect it will be unlikely for me to find it locally

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Crasoum
Crasoum will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by btnadiga View Post
Would any of you know the right helicoil kit for the 96 SW1 valve-cover retaining bolt and a good place to order it from. I suspect it will be unlikely for me to find it locally
M6-1x1.50 Drill 1/4 or 6.3mm

Not that I know from experience or anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crasoum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crasoum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crasoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
MichelleG
MichelleG will become famous soon enoughMichelleG will become famous soon enough

Love the manual givine a messed up spec!!!
NASTY setting up us shade tree-rs...

OH the real cheap is and just but might do it...
You can try JB weld thread repair or locktite thread repair ...google them...
If you glue down your VC gasket that area and go easy on this bolt perhaps it might be fine and keep VC oils from leaking. Your call (watch the flames now).

Go to Amazon.com and see
Helicoil 5546-6 Thread Repair Kit M6 x 1.0
Saw them at ACE hardware too.
It doesn't appear to come with the tap handle.
You know that Helicoils require a larger drill size too...maybe even bigger than the below..
They mildly expensive for 1 bolt repair which is not to structural?

Options might include.....just go to the next sized bigger thread. Sans Helicoil trials.
To set a helicoil you will have to drill and tap the hole to a size up and then set in a helicoil.
So if you got to drill and tap it up larger anyhow perhaps forget the helicoil troubles and that cost..

If you can cleanly drill to:
What is referred to as the "tap drill" of 6.8mm or machinist H drill.
Then you only need a 8mm x 1.25MM Tap to go to a new 8MM bolt (next common size up).
You will have to make clearance for the bolt in valve cover now, like 9MM.

You may just consider going to 5/16 with related drill tap sizes etc...
Instead of metric. It is very close...
Tap drill size for a 5/16 x24 (fine) is a machinist's "I" drill or .272".

You should easier to find drill & tap sets and pieces alone if you want...
Go slow and drill & tap while flooding with oil, blowing it out and clearing drill & tap chips.
Your steady hand in drilling (be the drill press) to make sure you make your hole very round, straight and not belled at the top. As well when you start your tap press down with good steady force to get it going cutting into thread in and not strip the top out ..... maybe practice...

OK last warning.... you need to masking tape your drill depth (and tap depth)... you go to far down in there drilling you may hit a water jacket, oil port or other nasty trouble...

Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichelleG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichelleG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichelleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fuzz View Post
Wow, he's right. The Chilton/Haynes does say 22ft/lbs. That's way to much for cam cover bolts. I wonder how many other people are snapping cam cover bolts because of this?
The Haynes/Chilton manuals are good fish wrap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote