SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1
Attention Ah, help, disaster!

I don't know how this is even possible since i've done it several times before! I was going through a car wash a little while ago and i had my vents on so that good smelling stuff would freshen up the inside. I do it everytime i go through a car wash. Anyway, no more than a minute into the car wash, water starts shooting out of my vents and then gets into my stereo head unit and then that starts going waky and the volume is fluctuating up and down and i cannot control anything on it anymore!

How did water get into my cowls? this hasn't happened before!!!

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1
Default Re: Ah, help, disaster!

Some car washes use high pressures and odd nozzle angles. Maybe the nozzle was aimed just so it would shoot through a small gap that water normally wouldn't get into?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

little nozzle just ruined a $200 stereo Has anyone made a custom cowl so it point down and water will not get in?

Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Ah, help, disaster!

um, did you see the car wash operator and tell him what happened about the radio? Also I agree with WESTWIND, the pressure must of been great.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

no i didn't cuz the radio problems started to occur AFTER i left the water coming out the vents didn't strike me as dangerous until my radio screwed up

Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a quick down and dirty scenario that may have occurred; when you were enjoying the sounds and had the blower set for pulling in the fresh(?) moist air, there is a distinct possibility of the entire windshield cowling being covered with car wash spray at the right moment where its sufficient to suck it all into and blow out the interior vents spraying you. A car wash isn't the place to play with the radio or adjust the blowers; its for washing cars. There's a video of someone opening his suv door to retrieve something when the car wash machine reverses direction and pulls the door open towards the front. Little attention was given to these machines when all that's required was to remain seated and not open doors until the machines are completely done. There are clear warnings to remain seated but this seemed to go over this person's head when he decided to open his door, only to find the machine still running and fold the driver's side door back!? His fault for not remaining seated through the entire car wash procedure. A very expensive lesson.

Car airflow vents are designed exactly as you imagined; the airflow goes into the area near the windshield, flowing downwards before entering the intake into the cabin interior. Think of driving through a downpour; its exactly the same scenario but not as concentrated in a car wash. Even downpours won't, under most circumstances, suck in the water as it harmlessly drains away through a drain at the bottom of the outside portion of the HVAC box. It was probably a one time chance event that conspired against you as it never occurred before, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

this bad boy right here...

my brother had snow come in through the vents one winter. he had NO screen there at all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote