SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Zaen
Zaen is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue Shifts Frequently

Hey,

It's been a while since I've been on here, fortunately that's due to a lack of need. 257k on the sc2.

Anyways, I have a 2004 Vue (Honda engine and transmission obviously) and I cannot figure its behavior out. Around town it drives fine, but when we get on the freeway and set cruise control to 70, it will downshift 1 or 2 gears at the slightest incline, going from 1800 RPMs to 2500 or 3200(ish). It shifts smooth, and drives fine below those speeds, but I've never had a car that would shift gears like that while there's no additional load on it.

My question is simple. Is this normal behavior? As long as it's not causing premature wear/failure of the transmission, I don't really mind. But I'd rather replace a valve body or torque converter now than a whole transmission in 6 months.

Thanks!
-Zaen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zaen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zaen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zaen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 Vue Shifts Frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaen View Post
Hey,

It's been a while since I've been on here, fortunately that's due to a lack of need. 257k on the sc2.

Anyways, I have a 2004 Vue (Honda engine and transmission obviously) and I cannot figure its behavior out. Around town it drives fine, but when we get on the freeway and set cruise control to 70, it will downshift 1 or 2 gears at the slightest incline, going from 1800 RPMs to 2500 or 3200(ish). It shifts smooth, and drives fine below those speeds, but I've never had a car that would shift gears like that while there's no additional load on it.

My question is simple. Is this normal behavior? As long as it's not causing premature wear/failure of the transmission, I don't really mind. But I'd rather replace a valve body or torque converter now than a whole transmission in 6 months.

Thanks!
-Zaen
You could blame it on: (1) 3.5 power band, (2) gearing, and (3) failure of cruise control (CC) to anticipate grade changes. Wouldn't that be a nice feature?

We have four 3.5 Vue's in family (05, 06 and two 07) and all do this to some extent.

I'm not sure they do so on "slightest" incline and I've found my 07 does less downshifting if I run at 75 mph (2000 RPM).

Speaking for my Vue - the first downshift is torque converter unlocking and the second is gear change from 5th to 4th.

I recall a few complaints through the years from owners saying they don't use CC because of happy shifting ... and some using CC will add a bit of speed before grade change to reduce shifting.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
As long as it's not causing premature wear/failure of the transmission, I don't really mind.
Thanks!
-Zaen
HOw many miles on the fluid?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Zaen
Zaen is on a distinguished road

far2grumpy:

I hear the self-driving cars are working on that. I doubt there'll ever be a retrofit kit for the Vue, not that I'd ever want it.

I'm glad to hear it's "normal" to a degree. I made the comment about the slightest incline because they are NOT big hills by any stretch, but it does have to be a noticeable incline before it kicks in. I've just never driven an automatic that would downshift so easily.

I also couldn't guarantee that it is two downshifts, that was just an assumption. I'd have to do the math on the gear ratios to know, but I'd assume you're correct about the first one being the torque converter unlocking.

billysvue:

We got the Vue about 10k ago. According to the P.O., it had been done less than 10k before that. So theoretically less than 20, and the fluid looks like it too, in my non-professional opinion. My concern was just the frequent shifting might be causing premature wear on the transmission.

As an aside, from your experience does using "I" instead of drive have any substantial affect on freeway shift patterns? I suppose I should just try it, I've always assumed it was just for faster takeoffs from stoplights.

For what it's worth, I plan to do a transmission drain/refill in the not too distant future with Honda DW-1. I'd rather do the upfront maintenance than have issues down the road. I just wanted to know if there was something else I needed to replace sooner than later.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate all the expertise found on this forum!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zaen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zaen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
As an aside, from your experience does using "I" instead of drive have any substantial affect on freeway shift patterns? I suppose I should just try it, I've always assumed it was just for faster takeoffs from stoplights.

For what it's worth, I plan to do a transmission drain/refill in the not too distant future with Honda DW-1. I'd rather do the upfront maintenance than have issues down the road. I just wanted to know if there was something else I needed to replace sooner than later.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate all the expertise found on this forum!
Selecting "I" uses gears 1, 2 and 3 ... I have a note that engine turns 3000 RPM at 56 MPH in third gear ... you could wind it way on up but I'm thinking the noise and falling fuel gauge will convince you to find some higher gears.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote