SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 07:59 PM   #1
jace3971
jace3971 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Need help with sound (96' SL2)

hey, 'im new to these forums... my names jason. i got a 1996 SL2, only mods I can think of would be Bosch Platinum 2's LOL, yeah yeah im not really interested in modding my saturn but i do want to do some audio work on it. im planning on getting 4x Pioneer TS-A1667 6.5" 3-Way Speakers and a Pioneer DEH-P6400 Single CD Player (XM ready), which according to crutchfield.com fits my car (no, im not buying it from them... just using their configuration tool to make sure they all fit). i have a small problem. i have no idea how to remove the old speakers. the back ones wont be a problem as much as the front door ones, but having instructions for both would be awesome. i tried checking installdr.com but their info is down and some other sites but no info! if anyone can help me, id greatly appreciate it and any opinions on the equipment (cuz im working on a tight budget and with those pieces with shipping it comes to around 300).
thanks!
- Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jace3971's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jace3971 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #2
Terrandus
Terrandus is on a distinguished road

I put in an Awia CD-player, with 4 3-way pioneer speakers all around in my 96 sl1. The CORRECT SPEAKER SIZES are: the
fronts-->6-1/2 rears-->6-1/2 oversized.

getting to the speakers... first piece of advice...it requires a little muscle if all your using is tools found in your guarge... don't be afraid about breaking anything... although it is always a possibility.

OK, removing the rear speakers. You HAVE to take the top half of the back seats COMPLETELY out. then you have to remove all that door molding there (just grab it and yank it out, it can be kinda tough and stubborn) that goes from the bottom of the door up to the rear deck. After that, remove the push pins, lift up on that velvet stuff, and gently wiggle the velvet cover from side to side while gently pulling it out, carefull, this stuff tears easliy. There you access to the speakers in the rear deck.

Front doors. There are 3 (I think) screws holding on the door panels. Unscrew those. I have manual windows and locks.. so this may be different from what you have. The window crank is held on with a c-shaped spring clip. I removed using a flat-head screw driver that I bent, easiest way is to but that tool at a local auto-shop for about 15bucks. I then had to remove the rods that make up the manual lock and handle. You can now remove the panel, be careful not to break any of the clips around the outside of the panel. Voila, door panel off and you can begin work on the door speakers.

Hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terrandus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terrandus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2002, 09:44 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I used oversized 6.5" speakers in the front and rear no prob.

I didn't have to take the back seat out. I just folded it down.

The hardest part for me was securing the new speakers. The plastic clips holding the factory speakers are crap. I drilled new holes using self tapping screws.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2002, 10:50 PM   #4
jace3971

those speakers i listed are the oversized one's... thanks for the instructions but the problem is my father and i tried taking the speaks out the way you listed a few days ago (for the front) and it 'wouldnt budge and we were very afraid of breaking the front because he felt it would damage the power locks, the back 'wont be as hard.

<-- wrote this message when he just woke up from a nap :-D
sorry if i didnt read the instructions to carefully

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jace3971 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:56 PM   #5
Terrandus

I thought the fronts were easier... when trying to remove that door panel... see if it will "shift" to the left or right. If it shifts to the left then pull the right side out and then shift it back to the left till the left side comes out or vica-versa... what is holding that door (I believe) is about 6 "L" shaped plasic peices. I broke one of those on my driver's side door taking the panel off... so you can watch for that too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Terrandus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
jace3971

the lock and door handle area is also blocking it from getting out.
any ideas on that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2002, 04:15 PM   #7
Terrandus

I have manual windows and locks, so I had a screw holding on that piece with the door handle and lock. It MAY be just plastic clip that justs "pop's" out. I should have told you this earlier, but the way I found out how to get to the speaker is that I went up to my local saturn dealership and asked one of the parts guys. He gave me a diagram of the rear deck assembly and told me step-by-step how to do the doors, of course there was no charge. The dealership I have here has amazing service... so the guys at your dealership may or may not want to help you with any Do-it-yourself projects... but it never hurts to ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2002, 04:41 PM   #8
jace3971

<--- on the phone with the service department and NO, no recalls on my horn darn, that means i gotta get it fixed. ohh well, if i go to the dealership shop im gonna ask em when im there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2002, 06:56 PM   #9
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Take the screw out of the door handle housing. Slide the entire housing towards the front of the car about 1/2". Then the housing will easily release from the door panel. You then must remove the two connecting rods (one for handle, one for lock button). To remove them use a flat head screwdriver (or your finger if it's small) to rotate the plastic clip that holds the rod to the housing. The clip will pop off the rod, and it just spins around. I remember having problems unhooking the wires to the power lock button. Maybe I just stuffed the housing through the hole in the door panel and didn't worry about it. Or the wires were long enough to not remove.

It gets tricky when reinstalling the connecting rods. The spinning plastic clip is hard to get back on the rod.

The door panel slides up and off the door. You may have to pry loose some of those plastic clips around the edges with a screwdriver. Beware, the clips in the middle are actually hooks! Don't try to pry those off. They'll break. Make sure when reinstalling the door panel all the hooks go in their respective holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2002, 08:04 PM   #10
Terrandus

jace3971 has electric locks and windows... sorry no connecting rods...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2002, 10:10 PM   #11
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by Terrandus
jace3971 has electric locks and windows... sorry no connecting rods...
The rods connect the door handle to the opening mechanism and the manual lock button to the lock mechanism.

There has to be a mechanical link between the handle you pull and the latch in the door jam. The manual lock button also must have a mechanical link to the lock mechanism. All power locks offer is an internal solenoid or motor to pull the connecting rod for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2002, 11:29 PM   #12
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

My advice is to use Crutchfield. They provide wire adapters for speakers at no cost. They provide instruction sheets specifically for your vehicle at no cost. When buying radios from them they provide the wire harness, antenna adapter, and trim panel adapter at no cost. They also let customers return things without paying postage again. Their inventory is large. I've used them a few times and have been very happy with Crutchfield.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:58 PM   #13
jace3971

crutchfield is mad expensive. i found speaks there for 99.95, i checked my other site out and they were 54.95. if it means asking a mechanic or asking ya'll, id like to save the 45 bux

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2002, 08:52 AM   #14
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Devil

Wow! That is almost half the price! What is the other site?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:30 PM   #15
Terrandus

I got my four speaker set of Pioneer's (oversized in the back, regualr in the font) for a total of 120$ from Best Buy. They were on sale and came with an extended warrenty, so I have to agree that you can find better deals than what is offered by Crutchfield, But although thier prices can be high they do offer pretty good customer service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2002, 10:20 PM   #16
jace3971

Default OHH YEAH!!!! :-D

i just put in my NEW Pioneer TS-A1667 speakers, i am gonna go through a whole lesson on my car in here on how to put em in without taking the whole door panel off but it worked SORTA, kinda had to mod em cuz i think they were the smaller version so the back speakers didnt fit exactly and the covers didnt work on the fronts... it was weird (there is an oversized version of the 1667's, i got the 6.5" and i think there is an oversized 6 3/4" version). i got em for 65 each (pair) in china town (NYC) which included tax. anywayz im going to a party tonight. TEEBEE AND HIVE @ Troopers 23 bux. WERD!
later
- jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2002, 02:15 PM   #17
jace3971

duh! the whole reason i was gonna post something in here was to thank all you guys for the help! THANK YOU!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread