SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer the placement of your window switches?
In the center by the gearshift (Current Saturns) 23 58.97%
On the door panels (ION) 16 41.03%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 09:29 PM   #1
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Default ION Window Switches

After looking at the pictures, I noticed that the window switches are on the door panels now instead of in the center. I have to say I liked 'em in the center a lot better.

Matt

If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I always found the center mounted window stuff a bit counterintuitive. I grew up in Country Squire Wagons, then to Continentals & they aways had the power junk on the door panels. My first SL2 was the first car that I'd ever been in with the central window switches and I often got some strange looks from passengers who wanted the windows down.

My LSS had them on the door and the seat controls on the door too - much better. The Park has door switches for the windows and mirrors - but the seat controls are on each seat bottom. I like the stuff on the doors!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

I've always liked them like they were on the S-series, in the center and close together. It seems like an unnecessary duplication of switches to have them on the doors (as the passenger can also use the console-mounted switches)..... I think most of us agree that the spaced-out switches like the L-series has is the least convenient (plus the front switches are so far forward that I've often found myself opening the left rear window when approaching a toll booth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:02 AM   #4
Freak_Sc2
Freak_Sc2 is on a distinguished road

i have always liked them in the center ... because the only other car that I had ridden in that had them in the center was my dad's '79 vet ... but he moved away before I learned to drive and it is in peices now in his garage ... but the center switches always remind me of that car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Freak_Sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Freak_Sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:21 AM   #5
Plastic Gravity

Thumbs Up Yeah baby! '79 L82 4speed/posi!

Quote:
Originally posted by Freak_Sc2
i have always liked them in the center ...
Its never much mattered to me...as long as they are all together, have autoexpress, nice detents and quality feel.

Quote:
because the only other car that I had ridden in that had them in the center was my dad's '79 vet ... but he moved away before I learned to drive and it is in peices now in his garage ... but the center switches always remind me of that car
Hey! I learned stick on a 79 vette! Those cars kick ass! Mean riding, vicious accelleration, gobs of torque, exhaust/intake noise that drowns out the radior, and bite you in the ass handling!!! Now that's a fun ride!

Hehehehe...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-31-2002, 08:13 AM   #6
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Yeah baby! '79 L82 4speed/posi!

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
[B]Hey! I learned stick on a 79 vette! Those cars kick ass! Mean riding, vicious accelleration, gobs of torque, exhaust/intake noise that drowns out the radior, and bite you in the ass handling!!! /B]
Vicious acceleration? I hope it was modified!!
Displacement 350 cubic inch V-8
Compression Ratio- 8.2 to 1
Horsepower 195 (L-48), 225 (L-82)
Torque lbs-ft 285 (L48) 270 (L82)
4 barrel
And only 3372 pounds too!!

Bite you in the ***** handling and any 1970s Vette are not usually used in the same sentence. Perhaps compared to its competition of the day, but a 1979 was an emissions choked boar shod with those ultra high profile 225/60/15 tires.

OTOH, I did like the glass hatch and style of that year. They looked pretty sweet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

I like them in on the door, and I won't buy another car with center Window controls. I'm starting to tire of havig to replace the whole MODULE BECAUSE THE FREAKIN MCDONALDS WORKER DOESN'T PUT THE LID ON MY ORANGE JUCE ON RIGHT AND IT SPILLS ALL OVER THE FREAKING WINDOW CONTROLS!!!!!

(I managed to save it last time though, it was only a minor spill. Now I'm taking special precautions before I get my OJ in the Morning!! )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swizelman45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swizelman45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 02:39 PM   #8
Plastic Gravity

Default Re: Re: Yeah baby! '79 L82 4speed/posi!

Quote:
Originally posted by piney

Vicious acceleration? I hope it was modified!!
Displacement 350 cubic inch V-8
Compression Ratio- 8.2 to 1
Horsepower 195 (L-48), 225 (L-82)
Torque lbs-ft 285 (L48) 270 (L82)
4 barrel
And only 3372 pounds too!!

Bite you in the ***** handling and any 1970s Vette are not usually used in the same sentence. Perhaps compared to its competition of the day, but a 1979 was an emissions choked boar shod with those ultra high profile 225/60/15 tires.

OTOH, I did like the glass hatch and style of that year. They looked pretty sweet.
You'd be surprised what the L-82's would do. I remember that car being ran at Union Grove and turning a 14.5@94mph. The gearing was extremely low....I'm not sure what the final drive is. I think HP was closer to 245. Pushing the throttle down all the way in second, causing the secondary to open would screech the tires and give you a good shove back. The only mods I remember were an open element filter and jetting changes. The cat was removed too.

And yes, the handling was "bite you in the ass". You had to treat them with respect, too much throttle would leave you faceing the wrong way or driving sideways, lifting while turning would do the same. The ride was absolutely punishing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-31-2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Well, I agree that the center is a bit count-intuitive, but after getting used to em, I like 'em there. But it cute whenever people ride with me they are looking for 'em on the doors.

BTW - I noticed that the gas fill is on the right, the current s-series has 'em on the left. I wish all cars had 'em on the left, but I guess that's too much to expect standardization.

And some GM cars - the A-bodies I think, had the window cranks go in the opposite direction as the rest of the world - dumb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 06:54 PM   #10
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Yes, numerous GM cars had the window cranks going the wrong way. The X cars as well... I had two Buick Skylarks. I had each one at the same time as a non-GM car, so I was always cranking the windows the wrong way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 07:00 PM   #11
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You needed to add crank windows to the list for us folks that see power windows as 1 more expensive thing to break.

But if you HAVE to have power windows, mounted on the door is the way to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:56 PM   #12
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by spork
You needed to add crank windows to the list for us folks that see power windows as 1 more expensive thing to break.
The crank on my mother's van broke off once. However, in the four (two of them being very old) cars I've driven, none of them have had window problems (all were power).

I have been in cars that AFTER I put the power window down, the owner informs me not to use it, and then we spend ten minutes trying to get it back up!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2002, 09:03 PM   #13
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by spork

But if you HAVE to have power windows, mounted on the door is the way to go.
THe crank broke off on my manually operated Opel window. And the glass came off the track on my accord on a couple ocassions. I'll take power any day. No having to reach over to roll it down on hot days...I could live with manual on the drivers side, but passenger windows need to be power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2002, 08:32 AM   #14
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

I like it in the middle although every review I've read about Saturns have stated that the controls always have to go on the door. It's prolly cause I drive with my left hand so using the controls on the right side is more natural pour moi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to y2chuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help y2chuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2002, 04:48 PM   #15
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity

THe crank broke off on my manually operated Opel window. And the glass came off the track on my accord on a couple ocassions. I'll take power any day. No having to reach over to roll it down on hot days...I could live with manual on the drivers side, but passenger windows need to be power.
If a crank breaks, it might cost $10 or so to replace it and you can do it yourself. An electric window regulator will be over $100, and most people will need to pay a mechanic to do it. Glass can come off the track no matter if it is manual or electric.

As far as rolling down passenger windows, I guess when I am as old and as infirm as you, I'll need electric windows. But at 40, I still can reach across.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

I'll roll my own.. ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2002, 06:41 PM   #17
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

I used to be of the roll-my-own mindset too..... and in my old pickup truck (with a bench seat), reaching across to roll down the passenger window wasn't a big deal. But when you've got four windows, you just cant. But I respect the opinion of those who wish for simplicity. When it came to four wheel drive trucks, I'm still a fan of the old lockout-hubs.

But I've never had a power window fail on me... I do love being able to power down my right rear window on my wagons... good for those tricky left-side merges when that window is fogged over.

Back on topic, I still like them in the center. Like y2chuck I tend to drive with my left hand on the wheel. When you drive a manual, you kind of have to. So my right hand tends to be over there by the shifter... might as well put the switches there too. But I don't really care that much. If the world insists on putting them on the doors, I'll deal with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2002, 08:43 AM   #18
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally posted by cityhawk01LW30093SW2
Back on topic, I still like them in the center. Like y2chuck I tend to drive with my left hand on the wheel. When you drive a manual, you kind of have to. So my right hand tends to be over there by the shifter... might as well put the switches there too. But I don't really care that much. If the world insists on putting them on the doors, I'll deal with it.
Rather than exerting the effort to type out the same sentiment, I'll just say that I agree with this.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2002, 01:05 PM   #19
Case93sc2
Case93sc2 is on a distinguished road

My brother has a 79 vette. Sweet car. Never can seem to get the timing to stay set for very long though. Painted black it looks like the batmobile. Once we dragged his vette and my 93sc2. Kinda funny, my car beat him off the line and pulled ahead, but once those 4 barrels opened up I was looking at nothing but tail lights getting smaller. Great car.

Oh yeah, and keep the switches in the center. I like having more of the controls in a central spot. When I drove a buick it drove me nuts because there were switches and controls scattered all over the place. Felt like I was flying an F-15, although a very, very slow and ugly F-15.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Case93sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Case93sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2002, 01:23 PM   #20
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I think I like them in the center, but it really doesn't make much difference to me.

However, I strongly prefer the current automatic shifter to the one used in the Vue and now the Ion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread