SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
racegirlfor1
racegirlfor1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default how does the ion do in the snow

so this will be the first winter with my ion... i am assuming that it's front wheel drive? how do they do in the snow? i live in the middle of ohio so hopefully there wont be too much snow..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racegirlfor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racegirlfor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racegirlfor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
k-dee
k-dee is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: how does the ion do in the snow

The Ion is okay in the snow. But will do better with better rubber (like winter tires) IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k-dee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k-dee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
bgsneeze
bgsneeze is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SL2

it does well, but better tires help a lot!

You say you just passed 100,000 miles.....well I guess it is time to take off the training wheels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgsneeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgsneeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgsneeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Mine has done good. Traction control and ABS helps.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

My 2003 Ion3 always did well in the snow. My girlfriend used to think it was unstopable. It was a manual transmission with the factory firehawks. Great tires mounted on a great car. I also used to shut the traction control off.

Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004NJVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004NJVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
racegirlfor1
racegirlfor1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

well hopefully my 2003 will do good.. though i don't have antilock breaks.. i guess that's an option.... and mine doesn't have it... and no traction control that i know of.. i hope it does well though the tires are original factory with 20,000 on them and they stink but hate to think about putting others on it..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racegirlfor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racegirlfor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racegirlfor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegirlfor1
well hopefully my 2003 will do good.. though i don't have antilock breaks.. i guess that's an option.... and mine doesn't have it... and no traction control that i know of.. i hope it does well though the tires are original factory with 20,000 on them and they stink but hate to think about putting others on it..

What kind of tires came on your 03? Mine was an Ion3 and came with Firehawks. They lasted me the entire time I owned the car (70,000 miles/ 1.5 years). They were getting very close to being replaced but I traded the car in. They were awesome tires in all sorts of weather. At least that was my experiance.

Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004NJVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004NJVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

My 03 ION3 did very well in the snow the first year I owned it. Last winter with much more wear on the tires it experienced some skidding going up steeper snow covered grades in certain conditions; especially when just about an inch or two of fresh snow covered previously frozen street surfaces. It wasn't a major problem but the ION clearly performed better with the new tires. I'll let you know how my 06 does if we get the snow that is forecast for tonight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
SaturnBaby2
SaturnBaby2 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 VUE 2.2L

I just drove in the snow for the first time with my ION tonight... It seemed to do much better than any of my S-cars did. I didn't have troubles controlling it. I don't have traction control or ABS brakes, but overall I was happy with its performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnBaby2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnBaby2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnBaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Hi,

I'm currently over 28,800 miles on my 2003 ION-3 with the original Firehawks.

Until this season, which just recently started, I was happy with my ION's ability to drive though just about anything.

I recently checked my tires using the "Penny test", Abe's Head is exposed. The wear indicators are still aways down... but I've never been a fan of the noise level of my Firehawks anyways... even if they do/did perform well in snow.

After reviewing this forum and researching it I've decided to go with a set of Goodyear TripleTreds (I have an appointment with Saturn of Fond du Lac on Friday)... They are said to be a very quiet tire and have excellent Wet/Dry Braking ability...according to the Nov. 2005 issue of Consumer Reports.

I'll let everyone know how it handles after the change over.

racegirlfor1, ABS and TC (Traction Control) are a package deal... you get them both or none at all (At least on the 2003-04 IONS)... My suggestion to you is to get comfortable with how the ION handles in various snowy conditions. Try practicing in a vacant Parking Lot or an open piece of road... just be sure to stay safe. People should always check their braking abilities on occasion to see how it will perform in a real emergency.

Without ABS, you will run the risk of Locking up your brakes. Once your tires "Lock up" they aren't able to do their job properly. Controlled Steering and Braking with locked up tires is non-existant. If they ever lock up, REMEMBER to release the brake and allow the tires to roll. Pumping your Brakes will become an art form. When those emergencies hit, it can be easy to forget about pumping your brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
bgsneeze
bgsneeze is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SL2

Tirerack.com lists Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S as the best all around tire for an ION 2. rated excellent for snow.

You say you just passed 100,000 miles.....well I guess it is time to take off the training wheels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgsneeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgsneeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgsneeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I have a 2003 Ion1 with ABS/TC. I love driving in the snow, I strongly recommend the Yokohama Aegis LS4 for a good winter tire for people who don't live south of the Mason-Dixon line.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=3

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
though i don't have antilock breaks.. ..
That's a good thing; if your antilock breaks, then your antilock brakes would not function.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Admiral Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #14
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

The Goodyear TripleTreds have "rim guards" on them. Basically the tire sticks out over past the rim a bit. If you get a alignment make sure their equipment can fit on the wheel before they do it. The Goodyear dealer messed up my rims trying, but they failed. The Saturn dealer had no problem because their equipment worked differently.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #15
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Beez
That's a good thing; if your antilock breaks, then your antilock brakes would not function.
I spell it wrong all the time too. Spell check doesn't solve all my public education woes. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertillion
I spell it wrong all the time too. Spell check doesn't solve all my public education woes. lol
At my company, we test all potential employees for spelling accuracy, punctuation, grammar and terminology. It's amazing how many candidates we get who claim to be fluent in Spanish or French, but when asked to write a mock letter in that language to a client, hand-in something written by a half-witted illiterate.

It is frustrating to me sometimes, that others on anonymous forums such as these use such poor grammar and spelling. It's as if they're telling the rest of us that we're not worth the effort of decent communication.

Well, that's my rant for today. CUL8R

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Admiral Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #17
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Quote:
so this will be the first winter with my ion... i am assuming that it's front wheel drive? how do they do in the snow? i live in the middle of ohio so hopefully there wont be too much snow..
I live in Columbus, Ohio as well. I drive an 11 yr. old wagon with a dropped suspension, Tinted windows, and red and grey flames. You might of seen me.
If not, you can see me every year at National Trails Raceway. I would post a picture but I can't. Not sure why. Must be my camera?
I would mention all the other mods I have done including the performance motor/ turbo under the hood but thats not what this thread is about.
So anyways, Columbus doesn't really get much snow. Yes, your ion is front wheel drive. If you have a good set of snow tires and if your a careful driver you should be fine. Maybe you can convince a relative to get you Triple "A" for a Christmas gift if you you don't have it already. Triple "A" here in Columbus is the best I have ever seen. I've lived in a half a dozen different cities and I'd have to say that Columbus is the best with their response time with Triple "A".
I'm saying Triple "A" because every year I get Triple "A" for my wife and I. My wife has said that with the fact of having Triple "A" and knowing that if her car ever gets stuck in the snow. It gives her a sense of security and confidence behind the wheel when driving in bad weather.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #18
rdalton
rdalton is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

I've found mine to be pretty good in the snow, Living on the east coast of Canada we get some brutal winters here. Works out pretty good tho, decent ground clearance (for a car) and frontwheel drive make it pretty sweet. Not sure if having the manual is a help to me or not. But just remember, good in snow isn't invincible. I put $2500 damage on mine driving through a storm.

was trying to make it home about 5 hours after they pulled the plows off the roads because of visibility, snow drifts that were about 6-8 feet high on one side of the road, sloping down to about 9 - 12 inches on the other, was pushing over and through these with no problems (the small side) then one came up that I didn't see that was too late, it was about 3 feet tall and flat on the side I hit. Nailed it doing about 70 km/h, car got a bit of air and came down hard. Pushed the radiator right back into the engine block, and wrecked the front bumpercover, that bottom part below the black insert was almost ripped off. The black insert was never seen again.

Moral of the story, when they take the plows off the road, that means it's probably a bad idea to be out driving.

--------------
*Deductive Reasoning

I am a nobody,
Nobody is perfect,
There for I am perfect

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdalton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdalton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #19
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalton
Moral of the story, when they take the plows off the road, that means it's probably a bad idea to be out driving.
Ummmm, I do believe that most on this board realized that before you gave your story.
Sorry about the accident though.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 AM   #20
PlumSL1
PlumSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Yeah sorry bout your accident dude!! With adequate tires, the ION should be pretty good in snow..

NicK
--------------
08 Mazda3
00 Tiburon SE - Sold
96 SL2 - Sold
97 SC2 - Sold
94 SL1 - Driven till death R.I.P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlumSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlumSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlumSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote