SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
zardoz
zardoz is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 92 SL2 Automatic Transaxle issues

I have a 92 SL2 going actually on the 3rd motor. <dont ask>

The issue that I'm encountering is a bit odd as it just started. The car had sat for about 4 or 5 months as I didn't have the money to replace the motor at the time. However, after replacing the motor, the car ran fine for about 2 months. Now, the transaxle seems to be slipping at higher RPMs. If I accelerate gently, it doesn't slip. The transaxle has new fluid in it and is at the proper level. If I accelerate hard, the motor revs up to about 4k and the car doesn't accelerate. My initial thought is that the bands are out of adjustment or something along those lines. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zardoz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zardoz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 92 SL2 Automatic Transaxle issues

I'm guess you have an auto? How many miles?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

And you should definitely, not only setting SES codes, and activating it's red light, but you should also be setting transmission trouble codes.

Is you SES light out ???? Your codes must be checked.

(((>Your issues are so similar to those which I had arise, just a couple of months ago. <)))

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

As Luke said this behavior should generate some codes, easily read on a non OBD2 Sat, check the how-tos.

There are no "bands" in an S Sat auto, only clutch packs.
And no adjustments, they either work or they don't.
If you are truly slipping a clutch, you will find your oil quite nasty dark when you drain it and it's a removal and teardown to rebuild - possible for the skilled home mechanic but requires real diligence to get it right.

(when rocket scientists get good they move up to design automatic transmissions......... )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
I'm guess you have an auto? How many miles?
I'm not entirely sure. The odometer died at 95k. That was about 3 years ago. I would venture to say about 200 to 250k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zardoz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
And you should definitely, not only setting SES codes, and activating it's red light, but you should also be setting transmission trouble codes.

Is you SES light out ???? Your codes must be checked.

(((>Your issues are so similar to those which I had arise, just a couple of months ago. <)))

The light works fine. However, no codes have been set as far as I am aware of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray
As Luke said this behavior should generate some codes, easily read on a non OBD2 Sat, check the how-tos.

There are no "bands" in an S Sat auto, only clutch packs.
And no adjustments, they either work or they don't.
If you are truly slipping a clutch, you will find your oil quite nasty dark when you drain it and it's a removal and teardown to rebuild - possible for the skilled home mechanic but requires real diligence to get it right.

(when rocket scientists get good they move up to design automatic transmissions......... )
Figures there wouldn't be any adjustments. Grr... The fluid looks fine, but I haven't drained it really recently. As I said before, the fluid is new since the transaxle had to be removed to pull the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz
the fluid is new since the transaxle had to be removed to pull the motor.
Might I inquire who is working on this car? You DO NOT need to remove or drain an automatic transaxle on an "S" series to remove the engine.

(See directions in the "How To" section....)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
zardoz

I just checked the computer in the car. The only code that I am receiving is 12, which indicates the diagnostic check. That's the only code in the computer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Might I inquire who is working on this car? You DO NOT need to remove or drain an automatic transaxle on an "S" series to remove the engine.

(See directions in the "How To" section....)
I wish I had known that earlier. Everything that I had seen the transaxle had to be removed with it to pull the motor. At any rate, with either one, I had to get the tc from it as the motor had siezed the first time, and the second motor had jumped time.

In reading your other posts, you seem to possess a very large amount of knowledge concerning Saturns. What could the cause of this issue be? I have talked to a good number of people myself and it seems that the cause could be either the clutch packs going out, or in the TC. I would like your thoughts. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Keep in mind that the transaxle is controlled and monitored electrically and electronically. First thing to check is that all the electical connections to the sensors and control circuits are good, clean and tight. I don't mean just use the glance/nod/loos good to me method either... you'll need to disconnect. carefully examine and troubleshoot them. The next thing to look at is the ALTERNATOR and BATTERY connections. A bad alternator can casue a miriade of odd tranasxale behavior long before the "BATT" light comes on.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #12
zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Keep in mind that the transaxle is controlled and monitored electrically and electronically. First thing to check is that all the electical connections to the sensors and control circuits are good, clean and tight. I don't mean just use the glance/nod/loos good to me method either... you'll need to disconnect. carefully examine and troubleshoot them. The next thing to look at is the ALTERNATOR and BATTERY connections. A bad alternator can casue a miriade of odd tranasxale behavior long before the "BATT" light comes on.
Sadly, I found the problem. The clutch packs did go. Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!