SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
JEG510
JEG510 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Dizzy Im gonna shoot this car...

I feel that my car is giving me alot of headaches lately. OK, I am in the bay area of CA. It's just about JULY and it's starting to feel like it. Now my car has issues, and I knew that when I got it. It needs the clutch done, eventually. It needs a wheel bearing on the passanger side, ok. It probibly needs a new PS pump sometime in the next few months. OK. But when the sucker has trouble even shutting OFF now that's annoying. I mean, it's not even a old car, and its giving me a chugging feeling and then it will die. Like "thub thub thub bbltttttt" and the entire engine shakes. I know some of you folks will say "leaky injectors" and others might even suggest motor mounts (huh??) but here's when it all started with that. I ran a half tank of chevron with techron, the other half just old cheapie arco gas (hey, no complaints from arco so far.) And why did I do this? Because I thought my injectors could use a good cleaning. Anyhow, for the past 120 miles (that's city driving, so about 5 gallons of gas) it's been giving me a hard time when I kill the motor. But here's the funny thing. It's only when the thing is cold that it will give me trouble. If I drive the car for more then 15 minutes, it's no problem. I re-filled my car at half way again, this time with regular 87 arco. Still have that damn problem. Maybe all the techron isn't out of my system, but someone also told me, with warmer weather, I should run 89 octane instead. any thoughts, or hints at what the sam hill is goin on with my car would be great! Oh, and I am gonna need this car alot more then normal, since I might be starting a new job, so it's gonna be a 15 mile commute to and from work if I get the job. (Hey, I am happy. If I get it, I will be the only 24 year old I know working at a school and getting $16/hour for just filing. Not bad since I have cheap rent and cheap bills!)

John

Well, all I can say is "Hakuna Matata!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JEG510's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JEG510 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JEG510 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Im gonna shoot this car...

You can live on $16/hr here in the Bay area!!?? That in itself is a BIG accomplishment. For anyone who doesn't live or visit here often, this is the most expensive areas to live in America-but worth it!

Of course, everyone is going to talk about the ects, but I think you have already changed that. What you are getting sounds like "dieseling", where cylinders are hot enough to ignite fumes left over & that keeps the engine running. In older cars, that usually indicates carbon build-up in the cylinders & valves that needs to be cleaned out,.... or a timing problem. Not really sure about Saturns though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Noobsaturndude
Noobsaturndude is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

yea that does sound like carbon build up and I know this is going to sound crazy but your going to have to poor a little bit of water into the throtle body or shoot some in with a super soaker while it is running. im not sure if there is a easier way to do it but thats what I was told how to fix it, when we were trying to rid an old 79 volare with signs of carbon build up on the pistons, the car after you turn the key off it would keep trying to run or fire. so we just pored a little bit of water down the carberator and it helped. but im not 100% sure if that is the corect techniqe to use for fuel injected someone if I wrong please correct me, also that way I will learn the corect way to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Noobsaturndude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Noobsaturndude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Noobsaturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:22 AM   #4
JEG510
JEG510 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Im running a double shot of STP. Im using STP FI cleaner, and STP gas treatment. I've noticed a little less dieseling, but I think if I wanna really blow it out, it's gonna take a while and alot of freeway driving.

Well, all I can say is "Hakuna Matata!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JEG510's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JEG510 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JEG510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
kvngwynth
kvngwynth is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Don't shoot the car yet... you still need it and as it seems the car has a will of its own so it might spew the bullet right back at ya...

Congrats on your new job! Yup, $16 bucks for only filing at a school is G-R-E-A-T! They offered me only a $14.20 for management trainee here in Phoenix.

Well, I found out that Saturns like higher octane gas in warm(er) climates. With 114 degrees during the day here I have to use Premium full time...

Before you try the drastic expensive stuff, how about just trying HALF a bottle of Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner to one WHOLE tank of Premium for your Satty. Did wonders for mine... Mind you I said half because it says right there on the bottle that the whole bottle should be added to a full 20 gallon gas tank and that it treats up to 100 gallons of gas, but I tried going lower than 1/4 tank, still all I could add to the tank it seemed was around 8 to 9 gallons... After that one full tank of premium WITHOUT the fuel system cleaner, then one full tank of premium WITH the fuel system cleaner, then one last time of one full tank of pure premium again. That way you are cleaning the system gradually but thoroughly. Then you can go back to a lower octane, but I would still not go back to the lowest grade IMHO.

Good luck and tell us how it went...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kvngwynth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kvngwynth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kvngwynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobsaturndude
yea that does sound like carbon build up and I know this is going to sound crazy but your going to have to poor a little bit of water into the throtle body or shoot some in with a super soaker while it is running. im not sure if there is a easier way to do it but thats what I was told how to fix it, when we were trying to rid an old 79 volare with signs of carbon build up on the pistons, the car after you turn the key off it would keep trying to run or fire. so we just pored a little bit of water down the carberator and it helped. but im not 100% sure if that is the corect techniqe to use for fuel injected someone if I wrong please correct me, also that way I will learn the corect way to do it.
NO WATER!!!! Just disconnect your air tube with engine running, and spray in a whole can of combustion chamber cleaner straight into your throttle body while feathering the throttle with your thumb to keep the engine running. It will belch dieselish smoke for a bit. Shut engine off after smoking slows down, and let sit for 10 minutes. Start back up and idle for 5. Then reconnect your stuff, and be on your way. Easy as that. Works wonders for power, and gas mileage.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Might consider doing the GM top engine cleaner thing, should clean out the carbon & engine should run smoother. Saturn of Oakland has it in stock $21.79 (w/tax $23.70)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansl2
Might consider doing the GM top engine cleaner thing, should clean out the carbon & engine should run smoother. Saturn of Oakland has it in stock $21.79 (w/tax $23.70)
Yeah, that is the best stuff, but if money doesn't grow on trees at your house, and you want something that works just almost as well, Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner does the same thing for only $5.75. ($6.16 ish after tax.) Part # 4318001AB at any Chrysler Dealership.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote