SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
hyattgl
hyattgl is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default '98 SL2 Persistent Rough Acceleration and Stalling

After my '98 SL2 warms up, it runs roughly and sometimes stalls when accelerating. I'm thinking of prying open my wallet and replacing the EGR, but I've been cleaning and changing parts in an effort to fix this for weeks. I'd really like to find and fix the real problem. Here's the sequence:

1 Symptoms: Started running roughly when accelerating, eventually started stalling
Attempted fix: Changed the spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, PCV and ECTS
Result: No effect
2 Attempted fix: Cleaned the EGR
Result: Ran like a fine Swiss watch. After 13 miles, SES lit up.
3 Symptoms: SES illuminated, car running great, pulled an OBDII code of P0341
Attempted fix: Checked plug wires, found and fixed one loose one. Reset PCM.
Result: Initially, SES still lit, but soon went out. Started stalling when warm again.
So I'm back where I started, with my SL2 running like crap. Having looked through this forum, I see more ideas of what I could do (clean the throttle body, replace the TPS, replace the fuel filter, clean or replace the coil packs), and I expect I'll do most of these. But none of those would seem to address the fact that my problem only comes when the engine is *warm*. It runs great when it's cold.

What is the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hyattgl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hyattgl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: '98 SL2 Persistent Rough Acceleration and Stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyattgl
After my '98 SL2 warms up, it runs roughly and sometimes stalls when accelerating. I'm thinking of prying open my wallet and replacing the EGR, but I've been cleaning and changing parts in an effort to fix this for weeks. I'd really like to find and fix the real problem. Here's the sequence:

1 Symptoms: Started running roughly when accelerating, eventually started stalling
Attempted fix: Changed the spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, PCV and ECTS
Result: No effect
2 Attempted fix: Cleaned the EGR
Result: Ran like a fine Swiss watch. After 13 miles, SES lit up.
3 Symptoms: SES illuminated, car running great, pulled an OBDII code of P0341
Attempted fix: Checked plug wires, found and fixed one loose one. Reset PCM.
Result: Initially, SES still lit, but soon went out. Started stalling when warm again.
So I'm back where I started, with my SL2 running like crap. Having looked through this forum, I see more ideas of what I could do (clean the throttle body, replace the TPS, replace the fuel filter, clean or replace the coil packs), and I expect I'll do most of these. But none of those would seem to address the fact that my problem only comes when the engine is *warm*. It runs great when it's cold.

What is the problem?
Since the EGR valve is supposed to remain closed when the engine is cold and at idle speed, I suspect your EGR valve is bad. It sounds like your EGR valve is sticking in the open position when warm, causing the rough idle, hesitation, and stalling...

http://autorepair.about.com/od/gener...l/bldef165.htm

Before you do that, though, you might as well clean out the throttle body and clean off any corrosion from the coil packs, because those are easy DIY repairs, and they're cheaper to implement than replacing the EGR valve.

Question: When you "cleaned the EGR", did you make sure that you could push the pintle plunger up and down easily without restriction before re-installing the valve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
hyattgl

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Since the EGR valve is supposed to remain closed when the engine is cold and at idle speed, I suspect your EGR valve is bad. It sounds like your EGR valve is sticking in the open position when warm, causing the rough idle, hesitation, and stalling...

http://autorepair.about.com/od/gener...l/bldef165.htm
That looks like a very useful site, and certainly the EGR entry helped my understand that widget. If you haven't guessed, I'm a newbie at this. I used to work on cars until computers and air pollution equipment intimidated me out of it...many, many years ago.

Quote:
Before you do that, though, you might as well clean out the throttle body and clean off any corrosion from the coil packs, because those are easy DIY repairs, and they're cheaper to implement than replacing the EGR valve.
I'll do that, thank you.

Quote:
Question: When you "cleaned the EGR", did you make sure that you could push the pintle plunger up and down easily without restriction before re-installing the valve?
Yes, although the pintle seemed to be moving freely even before I started cleaning. I wonder if that means I'm dealing with a bad solenoid. Then again, maybe I just didn't clean the EGR thoroughly enough. Having read a bunch of SaturnFans posts on the subject, I was afraid to let too much carb cleaner get up into the valve, toward the upper (electronic) part of the valve.

Thank you very much for your help, Razorbak.

- Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hyattgl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyattgl
Yes, although the pintle seemed to be moving freely even before I started cleaning. I wonder if that means I'm dealing with a bad solenoid. Then again, maybe I just didn't clean the EGR thoroughly enough. Having read a bunch of SaturnFans posts on the subject, I was afraid to let too much carb cleaner get up into the valve, toward the upper (electronic) part of the valve.
As long as you don't immerse the electronic part of the valve (the top half), you can clean to your heart's content on the bottom side. FWIW, when I cleaned my EGR valve, I just turned it upside down and filled the bowl that the pintle operates in with carb cleaner. Then I proceeded to scrub off all the carbon deposits from the pintle head and inside the bowl, and working the pintle up and down until it moved freely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
hyattgl

1998 SL2

Excellent. Thank you, Razorbak. Those details are a very big help. I'll give the EGR a more rigorous cleaning over the weekend, as well as the throttle body and coil packs.

- Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread