SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
04AWDV6VUE
04AWDV6VUE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Saturn banks on revamped Ion (Detroit News 08/01/04)

Read this in the Sunday paper. Is that really Jill Lajdziak? I thought she looked different. Enjoy the article

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...b01-228586.htm

'04 AWD V6 VUE (current)
'00 SC2 (former)
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

Decent article. I can't believe they're comparing it to the Elantra though... back then Hyundai was not only seen as a cheap South Korean car, it's history was unreliable and the car just felt cheap. Any ION owner will admit it, the ION doesn't necissarily feel like an expensive car either, but at least it has a reliable history and it's not from a near-thrid-world country...
Old 08-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
protonixo
protonixo is on a distinguished road

saturn already knows what people didn't like about the ion...

Quote:
Yet when the Ion was introduced at the end of 2002, consumers quickly complained about the chintzy interior, uncomfortable seats, go-kart-sized steering wheel and, above all, its center-mounted instrument panel.
not sure if saturn did enough changes to the ion to make it competitive...they did fix the steering wheel, put in (i hope) better seats but is taking a gamble about the center-mounted instrument panel (one of the things that consumers complained about, 'above all').

Quote:
GM says the reviews have led to 800 changes and improvements to the Ion since 2003. Two of the most obvious changes on the 2005 Ion include a new front fascia featuring a grille gussied up with chrome and a bigger, adult-sized steering wheel.

Interior improvements include bigger, more supportive seats and softer finish leather-grained surfaces on the dashboard that replace shiny, pebble-grained plastic.

Ride and handling have also been improved.

What hasnít changed is the Ionís trademark center-mounted instrument panel, something that was briefly considered, Queen said, but ultimately rejected
sales will tell if saturn made the right changes..

one of the things i wished saturn would put in, is real headrests for the rear seats..not those 'bumps'..

Last edited by protonixo; 08-02-2004 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
Black 96 SC2
Black 96 SC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by protonixo
they did fix the steering wheel
guess I don't agree with what "everyone" says ... I like the smaller steering wheel ...
Current Saturn: none ... bought a '08 Malibu
Previous Saturns: 1997 Red SL2, 1996 Black SC2 Classic, 2001 Green SL2, 2004 Chili Pepper Red ION QC3, 2008 VUE AWD XE
Old 08-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Major overhaul? Please.
SixFlagsForum.com
VeggieBoards.com
Old 08-02-2004, 01:05 AM   #6
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

They finally realized the steering wheel from the 93-94 Years was correct all of the time. (slight variance on the new one with leather wrap and added cc buttons, but otherwise the same shape/style 4-spoke wheel)

Complaints about the center guages I have never heard, personally, except for magazine reviewers. Some think it is "a little weird, at first" but quickly adapt and find it a natural transition. (You will assimilate... assimilate)

The 2004 ION Sedan is still a terrific value. Perfect? of course not, but I would trust my loved-ones lives in one.
..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:16 AM   #7
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
[i]
Complaints about the center guages I have never heard, personally, except for magazine reviewers. Some think it is "a little weird, at first" but quickly adapt and find it a natural transition. (You will assimilate... assimilate)
T [/B]
Well the sales figures says it all! They have yet to reach the 150,000 per year mark and are no where near the 200,000 plus mark the S-Series achieved in its earlier run. I wouldn't be surprise if the Vue doesn't eventually elispe the Ion in sales.

Let's face it the market isn't interested in center IPs. This weekend I read an article on the Nissan Quest which hasn't sold anywhere near where Nissan thought it would. It has a center IP which the company thought would make it stand out as unique in the Minivan market. Nissan's surveys of potential buyers sited the center IP as a strong dislike and a reason NOT to buy the vechicle. Nissan is looking at redesigning the dash.

Interesting that Saturn considered redesigning the dash due to consumer dislike, but decided to leave it for it's uniqueness. Translated... they didn't want to spend the money retooling. Alas the bean counters win again and marketing must put a good face on a bad decision.

Maybe it's time for the Harvard Business School to require reading children's fable "The Emperor Has No Clothes On." Thank god Saturn has the Vue, at least it has one hit on it's hand to hold it over until new product hits the floor room.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Red_Forman
Red_Forman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisION
Decent article. I can't believe they're comparing it to the Elantra though... back then Hyundai was not only seen as a cheap South Korean car, it's history was unreliable and the car just felt cheap. Any ION owner will admit it, the ION doesn't necissarily feel like an expensive car either, but at least it has a reliable history and it's not from a near-thrid-world country...
wow, near-third-world country?? obviously you've never been to korea. oh well....

as for reliability, my 03 ION has been less than stellar, so i know i won't be throwing stones at the hyundai.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #9
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by protonixo
saturn already knows what people didn't like about the ion...
Saturn knew before the ION was introduced. The consumer test panels (where people were shown preproduction models and asked for their opinions) named everything that has been mentioned here... playskool steering wheel, cheap interior, etc. Why they chose to wait two years instead of fixing things in the first place baffles me. That's GM for ya. I guess they thought they could get away with it.

The interior updates don't sound like they are as extensive as I expected, but hopefully once I see the pics it will be alright. A lot of times it's the little things (such as trim colors and chrome) that make a BIG difference. That's why I don't understand why there's such a hesitation to go the extra 1/2 mile and add little things to make it so much nicer.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
ChrisION

Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Forman
wow, near-third-world country?? obviously you've never been to korea. oh well....
No, and I don't plan to go any time soon

I also like the smaller steering wheel and center IP. The only thing I wish I had was the height adjustable driver's seat
Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #11
Hans Gilbranson
Hans Gilbranson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Forman

as for reliability, my 03 ION has been less than stellar, so i know i won't be throwing stones at the hyundai.
I think the meaning of the wording "near third world country" was a reference to North Korea and not Korea as a whole.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #12
Vita
Vita is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans Gilbranson
I think the meaning of the wording "near third world country" was a reference to North Korea and not Korea as a whole.
Hyundai is made in South Korea
Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #13
ChrisION

To clarify, I was basically just trying to say South Korea is no Japan, if you know what I mean
Old 08-02-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
IndyVUE
IndyVUE is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L

First of all I'm glad I won't have a Chevy clone

If GM has done a disservice to Saturn, it's in their advertising budget!!!!!!! Just watch TV or check out the newspaper ads. Chevrolet has always had TONS of advertising. Quriky ads (some of which I like) do not appeal to Joe USA car buyer. Pick your segment to appeal to, then go after it Saturn!

If they want to saturate the market with IONs, run as many commercials for Ions as Chevy does for the Cavalier. Same difference. Get your message out there, make people want to buy your car. It's all about image.

BTW, I haven't seen GM crying about not enough Saabs flying off the lots
Old 08-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #15
chicubs
chicubs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyVUE
First of all I'm glad I won't have a Chevy clone

If GM has done a disservice to Saturn, it's in their advertising budget!!!!!!! Just watch TV or check out the newspaper ads. Chevrolet has always had TONS of advertising. Quriky ads (some of which I like) do not appeal to Joe USA car buyer. Pick your segment to appeal to, then go after it Saturn!

If they want to saturate the market with IONs, run as many commercials for Ions as Chevy does for the Cavalier. Same difference. Get your message out there, make people want to buy your car. It's all about image.

BTW, I haven't seen GM crying about not enough Saabs flying off the lots
There are plenty of commercials...no idea what you are talking about. The commercials may be terrible, but I definately see them a ton.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by spencerb
... and add little things to make it so much nicer.
Did you know if you leave your turn signal on long enough it starts to beep? My Redline does and that's one of the the little things that make it much nicer.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #17
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyVUE
... run as many commercials for Ions as Chevy does for the Cavalier...
I personally have never seen a commercial for a Chevy Cavalier, although it may be the market where I live - it's not a big seller here compared to the imports.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #18
IndyVUE
IndyVUE is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L

I have been doing an informal (and not by an expert by any means) survey of auto commercials on the ABC affiliate here in the Indianapolis area this evening. Here is the tally for 3 hours:

Ford 3
Chevy 4 (one of which was for a Cavalier)
Hyundai 1
Honda 1
Saturn 1 (not for an ION)
Hummer 1
KIA 2
Buick 1

I know an engineer at that station, and could probably get a copy of the station logs for those who doubt...........

I will watch the next Cubs game, and be sure to count the Saturn ads on WGN
Old 08-02-2004, 11:00 PM   #19
chicubs
chicubs is on a distinguished road

Lol. I live in the Indy area also. I mostly see commericals for chrysler, ford pickups, and chevys...used to see some cavy commericals, but not recently. I see a bunch of vue ads too.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:07 AM   #20
CorkyWagz
CorkyWagz is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I love my ion. Nuff said.
Closed Thread