SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
MtnVUEShadow
MtnVUEShadow is on a distinguished road

Mad Window Switches

So in the process of swapping the LED's in the window switches to blue, I managed to somehow damage the circuit board on the driver side switches. Don't ask how, cuz I have no clue. The windows still work, but no lights in the driver side ones. So I need to buy a new circuit board. My guess is that Saturn most likely doesn't have just the circuit board as a part number, so I most likely have to order the entire switch panel. Do any of you that work for Saturn have any clue as to how much this part will cost?
As of right now the driver side switches have no light, but on a lighter note, the lights on the passenger side switches are lit up beautifully in blue.

Hey, at least for the first time the problem is MY fault and not Saturn's!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MtnVUEShadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MtnVUEShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
MtnVUEShadow

How come in real life, there is no "Undo" button?

(A little off subject....actually a lot of subject....but new Ritz Chips Sour Cream & Onion are incredibly good!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MtnVUEShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:56 AM   #3
KellysVue
KellysVue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by MtnVUEShadow
A little off subject....actually a lot of subject....but new Ritz Chips Sour Cream & Onion are incredibly good!
New Ritz Chips Sour Cream & Onion. The official snack food of Vue owners!

Hey, it works for the NBA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KellysVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KellysVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 AM   #4
SQVue
Advanced Member
SQVue is on a distinguished road

you sure you have the leds on all the right polarities right? otherwise....bummer.... hope you guys are using a pen-style soldering iron with these boards, because those gun-style irons are way too hot for circut boards and can toast them in a second, I do all my soldering with a Hakko Pen-style from fry's electronics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SQVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SQVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
MtnVUEShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by SQVue
you sure you have the leds on all the right polarities right? otherwise....bummer.... hope you guys are using a pen-style soldering iron with these boards, because those gun-style irons are way too hot for circut boards and can toast them in a second, I do all my soldering with a Hakko Pen-style from fry's electronics.
Hey SQ,

Yeah I did the polarities correctly and all, but during removal of the old LED's I think I accidentally melted the mounts right off the board. My soldering iron is a Stanley SI-30...it does get rather hot compared to others I've used and probably has something to do with it. Also the board on the driver side has slightly different circuitry and a few things in the way that I tried to maneuver around.
I just hope the switch assembly isn't too expensive. I know exactly how I will put the blue LED's in on that one now that I've done screwed this one all up.

Thanks!

Troy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 02:10 AM   #6
MtnVUEShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by KellysVue
New Ritz Chips Sour Cream & Onion. The official snack food of Vue owners!

Hey, it works for the NBA!

HAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!! ROFL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
SQVue
Advanced Member

ya i remember those switches, they were a rather pain to get around huh? well hopefully it works out better next time, maybe you can trace back the board wire to its pin on the harness and and do a jumper wire to the led, might work...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SQVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:15 AM   #8
MtnVUEShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by SQVue
ya i remember those switches, they were a rather pain to get around huh? well hopefully it works out better next time, maybe you can trace back the board wire to its pin on the harness and and do a jumper wire to the led, might work...

I didn't think about that...I might just give that a try tomorrow. Maybe with a little luck I can still save myself some money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 AM   #9
SQVue
Advanced Member

hah! speaking of official stuff for the vue... heres the official energy drink for the vue owners!
Act now! and come get......
Sum Poosie! (sorry if this offends any1, its just too funny)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 02:23 AM   #10
MtnVUEShadow

I think I could use sum poosie. Maybe then I won't be so grouchy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 02:28 AM   #11
SQVue
Advanced Member

i actually saw that stuff on Jay Leno first....it was pretty funny...they also had a product called the "wang glove" which was ONE disposable glove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #12
KJB
Advanced Member
KJB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MtnVUEShadow
I didn't think about that...I might just give that a try tomorrow. Maybe with a little luck I can still save myself some money.
This should work for you...it's actually an easy fix if you can track down the traces on the board. Just solder a jumper wire to the component just before (on the trace leading to) the led and on the component just after (on the trace coming from) the led.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:08 AM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

When my driver's side switch started acting fruity, it was something like $60 under warranty.. so figure $100ish from the parts counter. That, or reassemble it, take it to the dealer and claim its no longer lighting up. They won't open it up, they'll just swap it out.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #14
MtnVUEShadow

Happy

I fixed.
I looked at the board under magnification and found that solder was crossing the circuit on the front window switch. I uncrossed it, resoldered, and let there be light.
All better.

I was very close to using jumper wires which I'm positive would have worked. My last thought was to reasseble it with the old yellow ones and tell them that it quit working.

Now for the HVAC controls. The interesting thing I noticed since I had the new VUE is that the HVAC controls are much brighter in the new one. Mine are very dim and they used to not be. There's 4 light bulbs in there, 2 of them must be dead.

A sigh of relief. My bad ya'll! I'm a little cranky when I'm tired!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Yay!

Official energy drink of Vue owners huh?

Gotta try those Ritz Chips Sour Cream and Onion.....

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:31 PM   #16
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Oh my gosh! Same damn thing happened to me, and I nearly messed up my window controls. My Auto doesn't work like it used to either. Sometimes I have to press it hard, and press it twice. I did melt off the contacts, so I just got some really thin wire and jumpered it as some people here suggested. I too have the blue LEDS (copied from SQVue -- thanks), bright as hell, light up the ceiling of my VUE at night, nice blue glow.

After that bad experience, I cut the LEDS off from the leads, and then just cut my blue ones to match and soldered them on like that. The cuts were VERY close to the circuitboard though.

I was going to submit pictures for SQVue i think, but i haven't felt like taking it all apart yet (this was probably over a year ago).

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread