SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Dead starter, but is it really the starter?

November 2018, my original starter died. It decided one night in a Walmart parking lot it wasnít going to crank. It did eventually come back to life, and I continued using it for about a week, but I didnít trust it. I replaced it with a DB Electric starter that everyone here seems to love and itís been great. Just this morning though it wouldnít crank, just like last year at Walmart. Before I go and replace it again though, could there be anything else keeping it from cranking? The ECST has been replaced with a brass one and the battery it still good. Iím kinda stumped here. I know itís possible that the starter is actually dead again but Iím really hoping it isnít. DB Electric also only has a 1 year warranty, so that kinda sucks

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Dead starter, but is it really the starter?

Check and see if there is power on the purple wire on the starter when the key is in the crank position. If there is, try lightly tapping the starter. If not, it's something before the starter. Broken wire, loose connection, bad park/neutral switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

So this is kind of embarrassing but once you mentioned the neutral safety switch I realized it wasnít in park this entire time Last night I had to leave it in the road due to there being too much snow and in my frustration, I must have forgotten to put back in park. I just pulled the e-brake, turned it off and called it a night. I didnít even think of checking until I went to release the brake. Canít believe I didnít notice

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

Last edited by Zeebins; 12-02-2019 at 01:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I've done that a few times with auto's. Manual transmission's don't care what gear you're in and I'm far more used to starting them lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

> Last night I had to leave it in the road....

Bet he was looking forward to clambering under the car to swap out the starters, while meltwater invaded his clothing !

I use big pieces of cardboard as a 'creeper' on top of compressed snow/ice, or a wet roadway...Ö...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #6
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
> Last night I had to leave it in the road....

Bet he was looking forward to clambering under the car to swap out the starters, while meltwater invaded his clothing !

I use big pieces of cardboard as a 'creeper' on top of compressed snow/ice, or a wet roadway...Ö...
I was getting ready to have it towed when I noticed, lol. (Yay for AAA) I was thinking of using some plywood I have lying around, but that was long after I gave up for the night.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles