SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
jacmic97
jacmic97 is on a distinguished road

Default How I fixed a weird issue with cruise control

Hi all,
Thought I would make an account and say what I had to do to get cruise control installed working in my SL1 that did not originally have it, in the hope that this info helps someone else trying to do this.

As detailed in other guides I had to get the cruise switches that attach to the steering wheel and the module that attaches to the gas pedal from a car at the junkyard. These plugged right in, the wiring was all there. I watched a video by richpin06a on YouTube that walked me through this. After this, I had to take my car to the dealership to get them to program the car to see the cruise components.

But after this was done, the cruise control worked somewhat. It would hold a speed for about 20 seconds and then disengage and I would have to turn cruise off and back on again.

As it turns out, a missing or dead instrument bulb in the "Service Wrench" dash light can cause the cruise to act kooky. I replaced this and my odometer bulb (because it was burnt out) and the cruise works great now

Hopefully this helps someone having issues similar to the one I had. Not really an obvious logical connection between cause and effect on this one, it took a bit of digging to figure this out.

Jack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacmic97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacmic97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacmic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: How I fixed a weird issue with cruise control

Several cruise faults show up as a service wrench light. If the bulb has failed then the PCM disables cruise as there is no monitoring of its critical functions. You should also have a SES light for the failed service wrench bulb also will illuminate the SES light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: How I fixed a weird issue with cruise control

This is interesting, I would have never made the connection between a bulb being out and a cruise malfunction, but it makes sense as explained.

Thanks to both of you!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote