SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Oliviar
Oliviar is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2002 SL1 rear wheel damage

Hello guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a car from a buddy of mine for $400.
He has a 2002 SL1. He got hit in the passenger rear and said that it will still drive, but the wheel got pushed in on the top and is now crooked/sideways.

I'm supposed to get some pictures of it tomorrow which I will post, but I wanted to hear some input on everything that will probably need to be replaced. I don't mind spending a couple weeks 3-4 hours a day, gives me something to do!

I thought since it's in the rear, it would be a little more easier to replace the whole suspension back there than it would be in the front (lol). But not 100% on what else might be needed besides tire/rim, control arm, shock/strut, wheel bearing exc.

It's a really nice car with only about 130k, so I would hate to see this end up in a scrap yard. Would love to use this as a summer cruzin' car!

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oliviar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oliviar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oliviar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2002 SL1 rear wheel damage

Probably just a bent strut. Unless really rusty these cars can take a pretty good whack with no real structural damages

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

At most $200 for 2 new stabilizer bars, 1 new trailing arm, 1 new strut (although you should replace both sides at the same time). The sway bar components should still be good.

Point is, new parts are pretty cheap, although a new rear wheel bearing is a good $100 straight from Japan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Worst case is the rear suspension is bent. The entire suspension just bolts in and is a easy swap if you need to

highmile
'95 SL1 624k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Fenton Auto Salvage has what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliviar View Post
Hello guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a car from a buddy of mine for $400.
He has a 2002 SL1. He got hit in the passenger rear and said that it will still drive, but the wheel got pushed in on the top and is now crooked/sideways.

I'm supposed to get some pictures of it tomorrow which I will post, but I wanted to hear some input on everything that will probably need to be replaced. I don't mind spending a couple weeks 3-4 hours a day, gives me something to do!

I thought since it's in the rear, it would be a little more easier to replace the whole suspension back there than it would be in the front (lol). But not 100% on what else might be needed besides tire/rim, control arm, shock/strut, wheel bearing exc.

It's a really nice car with only about 130k, so I would hate to see this end up in a scrap yard. Would love to use this as a summer cruzin' car!

Thank you

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
Oliviar
Oliviar is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Update:
I just bought it First sl1, very excited!

Drove it home no problems, it does have a little more damage than I thought though.

Didn't have time to take the tire off to take a look, but the inside top part of tire is rubbing against the strut.

Car got pushed into another parked car on other side - so bumper, both rear quarter panels, and tail lights will need to be replaced.
Will post pictures when I take off the tire and see what the damage is! Hoping everything goes smooth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oliviar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oliviar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oliviar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I just scrapped a 2002 SL1 at Fenton Auto Salvage. SaturnININ and I looted it before scrapping it. When I removed the exhaust system, I un-bolted the rear cross-member. On the passenger side, I even applied anti-seize before re-tightening the bolts
So, there it is. Give them a call and have them remove it for you.
The history of the car is the engine was neglected and it ate a valve and then was driven a few hundred miles.
At one point, it was flung off the expressway and sheared_clean_off a "bridge may be icy" sign. I don't think it hurt the rear cross-member and the car was driven for 4 years after.
It could have new rear brakes too, though I am not sure.
SaturnININ looted the body panels and all lights for his own car.

Last edited by bumpdraft; 03-22-2017 at 09:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
I just scrapped a 2002 SL1 at Fenton Auto Salvage. SaturnININ and I looted it before scrapping it. When I removed the exhaust system, I un-bolted the rear cross-member. On the passenger side, I even applied anti-seize before re-tightening the bolts
So, there it is. Give them a call and have them remove it for you.
The history of the car is the engine was neglected and it ate a valve and then was driven a few hundred miles.
At one point, it was flung off the expressway and sheared_clean_off a "bridge may be icy" sign. I don't think it hurt the rear cross-member and the car was driven for 4 years after.
It could have new rear brakes too, though I am not sure.
SaturnININ looted the body panels and all lights for his own car.
Lol, I only have a few parts laying round... also for OP there's a bit of difference between the _1 & _2 rear sub-frames... if you have to pick up a new one IMO might as well get a _2 they are a bit beefier.. (unless there the easy access to one like at Fenton)

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
... also for OP there's a bit of difference between the _1 & _2 rear sub-frames... if you have to pick up a new one IMO might as well get a _2 they are a bit beefier.. (unless there the easy access to one like at Fenton)
Please define the term,"beefier" as it relates to _1 vs. _2 cross-members

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Please define the term,"beefier" as it relates to _1 vs. _2 cross-members
S_1 does not contain a rear swaybar, while all S_2 do is my understanding.... this is going more into the performance but also if while you are doing it... grab the suspension from an early S_2 (with parking brake) and convert it over to all wheel disc brakes)
See link

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The frames are identical aside from the added sway bar mounts that don't beef up the frame any. If you want to add the rear sway bar you'll also need the end link mounts on both rear struts along with the bar & bushings with the rear frame. You probably won't notice a difference if you're one of those annoying people that pay strict adherence to the "recommended" corner speed signs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote