SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
vicious00013
vicious00013 has a spectacular aura aboutvicious00013 has a spectacular aura about

Default 2002 Vue 2.2 Died while idle now cranks but doesn't start

My Vue while idling in the driveway and I went in the house for a min and when I came back out side it had died.
Now it just turns over and doesn't start. When I turn the key on it sounds like the fuel pump comes on and I hear relays clicking under the hood like normal.
Also the odometer has never worked which I believe is an ECM issue.
It did have a little bit of a rough idle recently.
replaced the coil pack for the ignition already.

Error codes are:
p0604, p1599

Looking for conformation on what the codes are pointing me to fix.
So far I'm thinking crank sensor and/or ECM.

If you guys think ECM, where is the best place to purchase one affordably and quickly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vicious00013's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vicious00013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vicious00013 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Vue 2.2 Died while idle now cranks but doesn't start

There are several ways of troubleshooting, the shotgun method or a tedious step by step method to check for fuel and spark.

The shotgun method, with little info given, would be to either replace the crank sensor or at least measure it for resistance with a multimeter. The crank sensor provides the precise timing signals that allows the engine computer to run otherwise the ecm is just a door stop. Resistance should be between 700-1200 ohms. No crank sensor signals when the engine turns over, no fuel pump/no spark/no injector pulses.

The step by step troubleshooting is checking for fuel and pressure at the fuel test valve (on the fuel rail) and removing spark plugs to examine them for raw fuel. Spark can be tested at this time with plugs removed; ignition coil pack and plugs reconnected with plug bases wired to engine ground as someone turns the ignition switch to the START position - spark should appear on each plug gap.

It would help to provide more info; mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced. Ecm's rarely fail and would have to be tortured by less than careful DIYers attempting troubleshooting without basic electrical/electronic background info to inadvertently damage one. Engine computers last as long as ABS systems. When was the last time anyone ever replaced a faulty ABS electronic/motor module?

Last edited by fdryer; 10-20-2014 at 03:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
vicious00013
vicious00013 has a spectacular aura aboutvicious00013 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info.
Mileage is unknown, I have owned the vue for 3 years and when I bought it the odometer did not work.
Original engine has been replaced with a 2.2 out of a cobalt. It was running fine after the engine swap.
Other than the engine swap nothing else has been done to the vehicle other than new struts and strut mounts recently.

Replacing the crank sensor today after work. Then if no start I will work on doing some more thorough troubleshooting.

Also... after researching I was wrong about the odometer not working pointing to maybe an ecm issue,.... it is the BCM that contains the mileage info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vicious00013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
vicious00013

***UPDATE***
Replaced the crank position sensor.
Started right up and runs great now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

How did the connector look? Sometimes just disconnecting and connecting a part is all that's needed to break through oxidation to get good electrical contact , again.

I wouldn't throw away the old one, just yet, unless there's a way to debug it off the car/ensure its ferkakta.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
vicious00013

@billysvue Old sensor looks fine... looks new almost...
didnt have multimeter to just it.

also...
I was wrong, issue is not fixed. It started up fine after the sensor replacement but after a day of driving it with no issues I went outside the evening and tried to start it and it was a no go. Cranks but no start.
Security light is not on but I tried the relearn procedure for the heck of it. Still no go.
No error codes with OBD2 tool.
Going to leave battery disconnected for the night to see if it will start in the morning.
Any ideas what my next step should be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some members in the S-series forum didn't fully seat their replacement crank sensor and caused more grief until it was found. Other than that, its back to testing for fuel and spark again. An intermittent failure can be troublesome so careful diagnosing will eventually find the fault.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
vicious00013

***UPDATE***
Reconnected battery this morning... no start.
Jiggled wires connecting to crank position sensor... it started.
Jiggled some more and it died.
Then Jiggled some more and got it started again.
After work today I will take a better look at the wiring and sensor to see if I tell where the issue is and correct it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

'Jiggling' is advanced troubleshooting and not easily passed on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Jiggling, hitting and kicking have solved more mechanical problems than any other test method in whole of the industrial age.

Sounds like a rotten harness or probably the connection of the harness to the pins in the connector at the sensor.

SAlt belt VUe?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
vicious00013

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Jiggling, hitting and kicking have solved more mechanical problems than any other test method in whole of the industrial age.

Sounds like a rotten harness or probably the connection of the harness to the pins in the connector at the sensor.

SAlt belt VUe?

I took a glance at lunch and couldn't make it die again.
Could be somewhere else in the harness, while I am jiggling the wires its jiggling the conduit for the harness also.

Where would one purchase a new harness... is used the only option?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Design dictates wiring harnesses are tied/clamped on the engine or chassis to minimize vibration movement that contributes to wire flex, fatiguing until stress cracks break wires. By clamping harnesses and leaving just enough elbow room to account for engine flex or door hinge movement, wires tend to last the life of our cars. When clamps are broken and harnesses are allowed to flail loosely, flexing eventually allows wire damage whether visible or not. It takes a keen sense of where harnesses are allowed to move or not.

Look over the crank sensor harness and its connection point, and the remaining harness going back to the pcm. Examine the terminals for corrosion and where wires enter plastic connectors for wire flexing. In general, wires follow gentle bends and should not make tight turns. Male/female terminals should look clean and shiny, without any dull look to indicate corrosion. DeOxit is a terminal cleaner and protectant used anywhere corrosion interferes with terminal connections. Even the act of disconnecting/reconnecting electrical connections exercises/scrapes male female terminals.

Used harnesses are in salvage yards. New are pricey if you can find the wiring diagrams and part numbers from GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!