SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
ALStensby
ALStensby is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default So...someone snuck a Supercharge on my SL1.

At least that's what it sounds like! Ha! I have an '01 Saturn SL1 5-spd with 132K on it.

Anyhow, there is a bit of a "whine" that accompanies the rise and fall of my RPMs. It's not super loud, but it is audible and seems out of the norm. I was thinking maybe the idler pulley, but that sounds a lot worse if I recall right. Any thoughts on where to start looking? Belt is in good shape. AC works fine. No sound when turning so it's not the PS I'd assume. Thanks in advance.

Adam L Stensby
2001 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ALStensby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ALStensby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
the_wall
the_wall is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1998 SL1
Default Re: So...someone snuck a Supercharge on my SL1.

Alternator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_wall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_wall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

If it's not audible during raising RPM's in neutral, and ONLY audible while driving the car - throw out bearing is going bad or your transmission is low on fluid or the fluid is in need of replacing.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Or the timing chain is going bye bye- all depends on where the noise is coming from.

POP the hood and tell use where on the engine the noise comes from. Garden hose stethescope works good enough.....

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStensby View Post
At least that's what it sounds like! Ha! I have an '01 Saturn SL1 5-spd with 132K on it.

Anyhow, there is a bit of a "whine" that accompanies the rise and fall of my RPMs. It's not super loud, but it is audible and seems out of the norm. I was thinking maybe the idler pulley, but that sounds a lot worse if I recall right. Any thoughts on where to start looking? Belt is in good shape. AC works fine. No sound when turning so it's not the PS I'd assume. Thanks in advance.
If you can post a video of the noise for us to hear that would help us better diagnose the problem.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
shane22595
shane22595 is on a distinguished road

My car has just startd to make a whining noise as well! Started the day after I got the transmission fluid flushed and a new filter put in. It is not low on fluid, and I can only get the noise to occur while in gear accelerating anywhere from 2-3k rpm. The noise doesn't occur in neutral while revving the engine at all. I am stumped on this one. The belt seems to be fine from what I can tell as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shane22595's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shane22595 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shane22595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Power steering pump likes to whine. Some times it's cold, sometimes it's low on fluid, sometimes it's just depressed...but whatever the cause it whines

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Just about anything with a bearing can whine like that. PS, alternator, idler, AC. I don't recall hearing a water pump get like that.

With a screwdriver or mechanic stethoscope you can probably narrow it down. A section of PCV or similar tube will often work too, even rolled up poster board or something.

If you are fairly certain on the noise, you will likely find excess heat and the source of the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
ALStensby
ALStensby is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

I'll have to try and dig in to it a bit this week it sounds like. I'll check all of the items suggested. Thanks!

Adam L Stensby
2001 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ALStensby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ALStensby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
jfug97
jfug97 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

If you figure it out let us know, mine is making a similar noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jfug97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jfug97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jfug97 is offline   Reply With Quote