SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Z18XER Turbo

So I've always wondered about turbocharging the Astra but it always seemed not worth the trouble. There has been much speculation about the ability of the engine to take the added pressure from a turbo and the fact that it would have to be a scratch-built project as not many known companies (if any) make kits for the Astra. Upon searching for other applications of our engine with Turbo, I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds2HwwaHnyE
It is a YouTube video from Russia of a Chevy Cruze 1.8 with a scratch built turbo and a crazy whine. You can't descern much from the video, but it is nice to see someone has a fully functional turbo going on our engine!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Haps
Haps is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Z18XER Turbo

http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Manufacto...8XER::287.html

These guys do it.

The reason it's not done, isn't because it's a weak engine, but because in Europe they can just swap engines, or even better just sell their car and buy a 2.0T, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Haps's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Haps reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haps View Post
http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Manufacto...8XER::287.html

These guys do it.

The reason it's not done, isn't because it's a weak engine, but because in Europe they can just swap engines, or even better just sell their car and buy a 2.0T, etc.
Ah well that makes sense.
Is there anyone in the states who has attempted this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

I've been speaking with those guys up there trying to get that turbo kit sent to Canada . It's about 11,000 after shipping to get it here . I'd rather buy a new car

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraLover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraLover View Post
I've been speaking with those guys up there trying to get that turbo kit sent to Canada . It's about 11,000 after shipping to get it here . I'd rather buy a new car
Wow, that's a pretty outrageous shipping cost...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
AstraLover

It's like 4500 euros for the kit and has to be shipped on a pallet prob and that's with duty fees

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
AstraLover

It's like 4500 euros for the kit and has to be shipped on a pallet prob and that's with duty fees

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Not to mention that it all might be a total waste, considering the difficulty in communicating with our North American electronics.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Not to mention that it all might be a total waste, considering the difficulty in communicating with our North American electronics.
Yeah, that was a key area of concern. If someone were to drop that kind of money, there would need to be a guarentee of its success.
I'm wondering about the manifold and the ECU from the website.
a much cheaper way to check it out without going crazy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
AstraLover

I've looked into the chip. Try wanted 700$ shipped here for 12 hp lol.

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraLover View Post
I've looked into the chip. Try wanted 700$ shipped here for 12 hp lol.
Oh my... Looks like you've checked into this rather extensively. Have they said if the ECU will work properly in our Astra's?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
AstraLover

Well you send them your vin numer and they tune your ecu setting from over there then send it here. But I am pretty sure over there they Len you the chip and machine to do the reprogramming then you send it back but to do it here you have to keep the equipment that's why it's so expensive

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!