SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Motor Mounts

Hey all. There's been a couple threads discussing this, but I just want to clear everything up.

I have a 99 SL so the video on Youtube showing how to test for a bad mount won't apply to me, I don't think. Is there any way to test whether the mounts are bad or not? I'm also a little confused...it seems there is a top mount which is located on the front right side, and then there's some underneath, yes?

My car does not feel like it idles rough per say, but the radio console thing shakes pretty bad and there's vibration on the right side (door I think) which leads to a VERY annoying rattle. The wheel has some vibration at idle as well. The car has 180k on it, and I'd guess probably original mounts because so far I've come across original ECTS, old rotors/pads, dysfunctional thermostat upon purchase, etc.

Long story short...just how many mounts are there, and can anyone get me a link on Advanced Auto with the parts I need? I need to do an oil change, and they always have some sort of discount when you spend enough, so I'm hoping to just purchase my oil/filter/mounts and save a bit of money. If it's not available, I'll purchase what I need anywhere, but on RockAuto all I see is 'front right' mount and I know there's something called a 'dogbone mount' under the car...should I replace that one as well?

Thanks. Any and all input is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Motor Mounts

Not sure how I ended up in Tech instead of General...Oops.

I had a look at the top mount, it looks like the frowny and it looks rusty and beat, for what it's worth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

You could start with the top mount. Frowny mounts even new can have more vibration. I prefer OEM. I have an AutoZone DEA solid style mount I used shortly trying to track down vibration. At this point your transmission mount torque struts are probably pretty worn. I had to replace transmission mount on my 99 SL2 due to noise, then torque struts. I bought Anchor torque struts at Advance and transmission mount at Rock Auto which was Anchor (could have saved a lot if all were from Rock Auto). OldNuc has the ideal combination if you search his posts. I purchased prothane inserts for my torque struts but did not have time to press them in so that is why I purchased at Advance. Burnt a valve shortly after at 219,000 miles. My combination of Anchor transmission mount and torque struts with a OEM top mount and newer engine is working well. If you do some searching you will find a lot of info on replacement.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
adam22

2006 VUE 2.2L

Thanks for the reply. I reckon it can't hurt to replace it anyway...looking at it, it's clear it's not even remotely new by any means, so might as well use that as a starting point and move on to other things if it doesn't help. I sent you a PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the frowny's more than a year old it's a safe bet it needs to be replaced. If it's 2 years old or more I'd be driving gently so it doesn't break the timing cover or strip out the stud holes.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Explanation of the four mounts used in your car
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23971
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam22 View Post
...anyone get me a link on Advanced Auto with the parts I need?
You probably want to look at the part before you take it home. The problem is that Anchor used the same part number for both frowny and solid mounts, A2827.

You actually are suppposed to loosen & retighten the bottom bolts on the lower engine mount as part of replacing the top mount

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote