SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
sidney004
sidney004 has a spectacular aura aboutsidney004 has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
Default Sacrilege

You guys are going to hate me and hopefully not banish me from this forum but .....due to the high price of motor oil nowadays and thirst of my 178,000 mile 2000 SL; I've started to use used drain oil from my other vechicles. I previously used low mileage Redline 20W-50 from my Corvette Race car but just recently as I changed out the 8 quarts of Amsoil Euro 5W-40 from my wife's Mercedes with 12,000 miles on it,I thought "why not?"
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I'm running a Fram Orange oil filter, its been in there for a while as I generally just top it off rather than change the oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sidney004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sidney004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sidney004 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Vulcansat
Vulcansat is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sacrilege

Like feeding the dog scraps?
Sorry its your engine. But come on.....a Vette and a Benz? Why do you care to buy a jug of Rotella T6? Its only $20 bucks!

2000 SW2
1992 Mercedes Benz 300e
2000 Dakota RT 5.9
1994 Dakota 4X4 5.2L
1990 Itasca BBC 454/400 turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vulcansat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vulcansat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vulcansat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

I would change the oil filter asap. Those orange fram filters are known for being nothing but bad, and any filter should be changed at or before 5k miles unless it's an oversize filter (in which case 7500 miles is probably the limit).

As for using drain oil... that's your call. If you burn a lot, it's not necessarily the worst idea in the world (certainly better than letting it run low), but be sure you run it through some sort of filter first to remove any debris that may have been in the bottom of the previous car's oil pan or got picked up on the outside somewhere.

I think the biggest issue is the 20w-50: that's way too thick, and may cause problems, even in the summer. If they had synthetic 5w-30, I'd say go for it.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
OHCPower
OHCPower will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Just put the cheapest NEW oil you can find in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OHCPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OHCPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OHCPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I wouldn't sweat it.
These cars' problems are not oil quality, it is oil level.
12K miles on Amsoil, should still be good in the Satty for a few thousand miles.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

3 cars now I've soaked the piston rings with Chem Dip, and had the oil consumption drop considerably. Two are using almost no oil what-so-ever.

Soak the rings overnight. Remove the agent. Flush the cylinders with water. Expel the water. Run the engine and pour a tall glass of water slowly through the throttle or vacuum hose.

Change oil soon after.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Your practice is a bit unconventional but there are ways to improve it. I'd be changing the filter every 3,000 miles at the very latest since you are never using clean oil. If you don't want to get under the car that often then rig up a remote filter that you can change by just popping the hood. Extra filtering the used oil is a god idea...not really sure how you'd do it, but I remember reading on this site about a bypass filter used a roll of toilet paper for a filter, you might be able to make something that works similarly in your garage.

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
sidney004
sidney004 has a spectacular aura aboutsidney004 has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1

Just an update. Over 215,000 on it now, the last 37,000 miles on used drain oil from the other vehicles in the household. No problems so far. I did upgrade to a Mobil 1 oil filter which I change out every 12,000 or so miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sidney004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sidney004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sidney004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I must say the M1 EP 5w30 oil in my Toyota looks very, very clean at 4500 miles with the Purolator PureOne Gold extended filter on it. A little lighter than the color of the exact same oil & filter in my Saturn at 1000 miles. Oil consumption in the Toyota is very low -- less than an 1/8 of a quart.

I'm also *tempted* to do a used oil analysis on the Toyota at the 7500 mile mark/OCI and use the drain oil in the Saturn as add-in oil for the final 3K miles of an OCI if it shows good. (For the first 4500 to 5K miles I always feed it the same as what went in at the start of the oil change; considering the add oil is going to be in there for only a short time, I typically get less choosy, as long as it meets the 5w30 SM designation) There's no question in my mind that the oil in my Saturn at the 4500 mile mark of an OCI is a lot dirtier than the Toyota will produce.

When I run M1 EP 5w30 in my Saturn, it goes through a quart every 1100 miles. With Rotella T6 5w40, I'm getting >1500 miles/quart, which is the best it's been in years. I'll share my UOA results on the T6 (and 100% T6 add-in quarts) in a few months when I reach 100K miles and another 7500 mi OCI. The T6 really seems to be able to hold a lot of black sooty carbon in suspension. I'm looking forward to the UOA results because otherwise the Saturn seems happiest with T6 -- quiet, smooth, no lifter noise on startup vs. M1 EP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

My old '96 SL2 was burning 2 quarts of oil per 300 miles.

It was getting too expensive to use new oil in it, even the cheapest of oils, which I didn't feel confident in.

I started reminding my friends to bring me their used oil from their "race cars" which was a 3k mile OCI on a CTS-V and a 3k OCI on a Toyota Supra. Ran it through paint-strainers used for automotive paint just to make sure all was clean of debris. Put 20k on the car like that and never had a hiccup.

I will caution you though, place a few magnets on your oil pan for extra protection, and right before you pull the plug, slide the magnets over near the plug, then remove them, then quickly unbolt the drain plug to help bring any contaminants out the drain. I was doing filters every 5k at that point.

I see no harm in this for a thirsty Saturn!

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote