SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Default The "truth" about body colored roof rails.

I was in the Saturn shop today, buying a trunk net ($33), looking for a Hot-Wheels ION (They had the stupid VUE airships), and asked the guy in service about the body colored roof rails...

They are indeed painted by the body shop. They don't come from the factory like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I think you've been given bad (or at least out-dated) information. Saturn is indeed shipping body colored trim rails. My Saturn dealer has about 20 IONS on the lot with body colored rails. The window sticker calls them out as an N/C (no charge) option. I'm not completely sure what colors this is available in. I do know that bright blue, white, and green are available and black is not yet available but will be soon. I'm not sure about the other colors because I did not inquire about them or notice them on his lot.

I'm sure the body shop would be willing to do the work, and has probably done some for buyers who wanted it done before they were available.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
benpatient
benpatient is on a distinguished road

yeah, my dealer had a white and a blue one with body-colored rails. that blue would be impossible for the dealer to match, even if they wanted to.

i'm trying to get black ones at no charge from the dealer as replacements...i'll let you guys know what i find out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benpatient's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benpatient reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
ducklet
ducklet is on a distinguished road

I hope that's not true !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ducklet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ducklet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #5
benpatient

you hope what is not true?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help benpatient reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
zborgerd

I didn't believe it either. It sounds really fishy. Never-the-less, it's what he said.

Then again... Someone there told me that it would cost $100 to get that trunk net installed, claiming that it would need to be drilled/epoxyed on. Then I pointed out that the hooks were already in the IONs. Just hook and go.

So... I question the validity. That's why I put "truth" in quotes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by benson500
Sorry, I think you've been given bad (or at least out-dated) information. Saturn is indeed shipping body colored trim rails. My Saturn dealer has about 20 IONS on the lot with body colored rails. The window sticker calls them out as an N/C (no charge) option. I'm not completely sure what colors this is available in. I do know that bright blue, white, and green are available and black is not yet available but will be soon. I'm not sure about the other colors because I did not inquire about them or notice them on his lot.

I'm sure the body shop would be willing to do the work, and has probably done some for buyers who wanted it done before they were available.
But you know... I'm reminded of the "Gold Edition" ION that your dealer is offering you. Are you totally sure that those rails came from the factory like that? Sure seems like dealers around your area have things that nobody else seems to have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 PM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

The rails are indeed coming in in body color as a no-cost option though, now. We did deliver a Blue ION 3 a couple months back where we had the rails painted to match for the customer, and it did not look bad and they matched perfectly.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:35 PM   #9
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd
I didn't believe it either. It sounds really fishy. Never-the-less, it's what he said.

Then again... Someone there told me that it would cost $100 to get that trunk net installed, claiming that it would need to be drilled/epoxyed on. Then I pointed out that the hooks were already in the IONs. Just hook and go.

So... I question the validity. That's why I put "truth" in quotes.
My dealer uses epoxy on the hooks too

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:41 PM   #10
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

I believe that some of them may be painted but I know they come from the factory that way now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:10 AM   #11
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the caution about my dealer, zborgerd. To clearify, i've actually got at least three dealerships working with me. The dealer with the 20+ ION's with body colored trim has nothing to do with the "Gold Edition" dealer. We've got 5 or 6 Saturn dealers within a 30 mile radius of Cleveland. Unfortunantly, it looks like I may have to go to Detroit to get the car I want!

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:27 AM   #12
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by golftango
My dealer uses epoxy on the hooks too
On the IONs? They are already installed. The work needs to be done on the L and S series cars, from what I understand. They didn't have the hooks installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2003, 09:31 AM   #13
zborgerd

By the way... I forgot to mention the trim kits. One of the guys said that the trim kits were still delayed because of problems with the interior stuff melting on hot days. Apparently, the manufacturer hasn't perfected the plastic in the interior trim kits yet. Which is weird. They've never had problems with run-of-the-mill woodgrain plastics before. Perhaps it's because the center IP trim is right up in the area of sunlight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2003, 01:12 PM   #14
benpatient

doesn't really matter to me because from what I can tell, aftermarket trim kits are cheaper and probably of equal quality. there was a thread on here earlier with a link to one that already has ION trim parts...full set, real wood, something like 200 dollars

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread