SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default 07 Aura XE 3.5 using coolant

Over the past few days, I have been hearing coolant move around in the HVAC system. I checked the coolant level this morning, and the reservoir is empty. Has anybody else had this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Aura XE 3.5 using coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4624 View Post
Over the past few days, I have been hearing coolant move around in the HVAC system. I checked the coolant level this morning, and the reservoir is empty. Has anybody else had this problem?
Not good, You should add new coolant (buy the pre blended type if your not sure how to mix the coolant and water to the proper proportions) immediately.
Drive the car some short distance and let it cool down then check the level again. Top it off if it is still low. The reason for this is that you have heard the coolant in the heater and that means your system will have air pockets in the cooling system.
Then check you level every morning. IF it is going down and you see no evidence, like a puddle under your car, it's a sign that the coolant is going out through the head gasket and leaving as vapor out the tail pipe. That means Saturn will be replacing your head gasket and maybe your heads(?)

Of course if it doesn't go down it might not have been filled properly to begin with, but you should keep an eye on it often till your sure everything is OK.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
MikeS
MikeS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4624 View Post
To add to what Phaeton said, check all hoses and hose connections for coolant residue (colored or white deposits) as a leak my not be bad enough to puddle under your car and will tend to evaporate with engine heat. Check the carpets under the dash for dampness which would be a sign of a leaking heater core or hoses.

Can you smell coolant inside the car? (leaking heater core) Have you noticed any steam coming from under the hood? (leaking hose or connections) Have you noticed a loss in engine performance or misfiring? (failed head gasket).

Above all, keep a close eye on your temp guage.

'07 Aura XE (wife's)
'03 BMW 530 (mine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Be careful on what coolant you use. Dex-Cool might hate it and it will cause more problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Not good, You should add new coolant (buy the pre blended type if your not sure how to mix the coolant and water to the proper proportions) immediately.
Drive the car some short distance and let it cool down then check the level again. Top it off if it is still low. The reason for this is that you have heard the coolant in the heater and that means your system will have air pockets in the cooling system.
Then check you level every morning. IF it is going down and you see no evidence, like a puddle under your car, it's a sign that the coolant is going out through the head gasket and leaving as vapor out the tail pipe. That means Saturn will be replacing your head gasket and maybe your heads(?)

Of course if it doesn't go down it might not have been filled properly to begin with, but you should keep an eye on it often till your sure everything is OK.

Good luck
Uh oh... I have been thinking of this. I have no such problems of with my Aura, but I am reminded of the countless amount of head gasket problems on the GM 3100.. Of which the 3.5 has evolved from.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

Check your oil level. If the oil level is higher than normal that may be where your coolant is going. If that is the case you should immediately get to Saturn for a diagnoses and drive as little as possible. Coolant in the oil will kill main bearings, rod bearings, etc. just about as quick as little or no oil at all. I hope you have better luck than this worst case situation.

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I took my car in Friday afternoon, and the dealer will keep it over the weekend. They didn't call me today (Saturday - limited staff), so I'm sure they'll have a diagnosis Monday afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

My '06 Impala 2LT has the 3.5L engine. It loves to "use" coolant. I keep a gallon of Prestone pre-mixed Dex-cool around and check the level every time I have the hood open. If the level is below the cool fill line on the reservoir, I just pour enough in to raise the level.

I have been reading that this is a relatively common issue with Dex-cool systems, so I am personally not worried about it (our '03 3.8L Impala also had this issue.) The temperature gauge is always in the same place, engine is quiet and strong, no excessive smoke from the exhaust, or other telltale signs of a bad head gasket.

The car uses oil too. It supposedly takes 4 quarts when changing the oil and filter. I have never pulled 4 quarts back out of it when changing oil. I also have to add oil ocassionally between changes to keep the oil in the "safe" zone on the dipstick.

I think these engines just do this by design (if that's what you want to call it.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

ive never had a dex cool car that used a large amount of coolant. ive had 97 camaro, 99 z24, 00 venture van, 00 z24, 02 traiblazer, 02 cavalier ls sport, 04 monte carlo ss,07 aura, 08 outlook. all had dexcool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

head gasket problems on the GM 3100

had one of those and it used very little coolant,
even when it was leaking. I found out it was leaking at an oil change.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Actually it was the intake manifold gasket that used to leak on the old 3.1/3.4 which is what made me nervous about going with the 3.5 on the Aura. I couldn't justify the $6k additonal for an XR, so I ended up with the 4 cyl. The Ecotec has a rock solid track record, easier to service, and pokey as all hell.

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Actually it was the intake manifold gasket that used to leak on the old 3.1/3.4 which is what made me nervous about going with the 3.5 on the Aura. I couldn't justify the $6k additonal for an XR, so I ended up with the 4 cyl. The Ecotec has a rock solid track record, easier to service, and pokey as all hell.
Well.. I don't know the Ecotec has records of timing chain failures, if we want to get down to it.

I'm not too worried, as I am so honestly impressed with GMs 3.5 compared to their older V6s.. I could be wrong, but, hopefully these problems, if they were to occur, would occur before the warranty is up.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Well.. I don't know the Ecotec has records of timing chain failures, if we want to get down to it.
Timing chain failures were resolved in the mid 2003 model year.

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

There are 2 TSB's regarding coolant leaks for the 3.5L V6.
  • #08-06-01-012 - This is reference to cylinder head gasket leaks.
  • #07-06-02-006A - This is in reference to a leaking coolant crossover pipe gasket.

These may be possible coolant leaks areas. There have been a few coolant tanks leaking also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

My Intrigue's 3.5 Shortstar (not related to the Aura 3.5) uses a little bit of Dexcool coolant, enough to set off the low coolant warning light around twice between oil changes (and burns about 1 1/2 quarts every 5000 miles). Lucky it takes 6 quarts.

2008 Acura MDX 109k
2007 Aura XE 80k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spacepope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Resurrection!

I've been hearing coolant sludge around under the dash for a while. Checked coolant level was about 1/4 full in the tank a few weeks ago. Checked it again may as well have been empty. IDK where its disappearing to but its the first time in 2.5 years of owning that coolant has been added to my knowledge.

I suspect the crossover pipe? Goes over the transmission cable? I had that break and remember another post of someone noticing coolant on the cable.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

dont do anything that will cause warranty problems if you are under 100k miles. only add dex cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
Resurrection!

I've been hearing coolant sludge around under the dash for a while. Checked coolant level was about 1/4 full in the tank a few weeks ago. Checked it again may as well have been empty. IDK where its disappearing to but its the first time in 2.5 years of owning that coolant has been added to my knowledge.

I suspect the crossover pipe? Goes over the transmission cable? I had that break and remember another post of someone noticing coolant on the cable.
Coolant dye (couple bucks) & a cheap blacklight from walmart (about $10) may help find your leak. Check after dark.

This is a misprint, I'm guessing:

07 Aura 19500miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote