SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Footwell Lights.

Did a little mod yesterday afternoon. Not something that is totally necessary, but they're convenient.

I've disassembled several S-Series Saturns, so I have lots of parts. For the lights, I used the reverse light sockets from a first generation S-Series coupe. I drilled a hole the same size as the neck of the socket in the left and right closeout panel above the footwells. I then used a file and filed notches for the twist locks on the sockets. So they pop in, then twist and lock in place.

I then ran wiring to the large red connector on the interior fuse box. Postions A3 (orange) and A10 (grey) are whats used, so I just tapped into those wires. I'm pointing out the positions with a torx screwdrive in a couple pictures below. The new lights function exactly as the dome/map lights. The come one and dim exactly like them.

Not bad for a free mod. And having your feet lit up when you enter the car is nice. Its also nice if you ever drop anything down there at night. I might add a couple lights in the back as well. One bulb under each front seat to light up the rear floor board.

Now the pics:

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Footwell Lights.

Gotta do my footwells too. Thanks for locating the right power source...big time saver. Might even do the rear wells. I'll be looking for the right lamps... probably use amber-colored.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

It was nice having 12in blue neons in the old car down there. Couldn't do it now the light would reflect a lot more off the tint i have on the Aura then I did in the SW2.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Gotta do my footwells too. Thanks for locating the right power source...big time saver. Might even do the rear wells.
Thats my next project.

Quote:
probably use amber-colored.
And thats the next one. Last week I ordered some orange led's that hopefully match the rest of the interior led "mood" lighting. I'll be putting some in the footwells, under the front seats and a pair to illuminate the rear cup holder. I just need to experiment with different resistors to find the same soft glow the OEM led's use. I dont want it bright, just barely there. I already have an extra set of front door handle pockets to install in the rear so I'll get that orange glow behind the interior door handles. I also found that the rear power window switches are exactly the same as the front passenger switch. All thats needed is to add a couple terminals to each window switch connector to get them to light up.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

When are you going to install the auto up/down window feature all around? That would be sweet. Always wondered why only the drivers and nothing else. Not even auto close on the sun roof.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Speaking of interior illumination, I just noticed there's no glove box light, at least not in my 09 XE. That's pretty cheap of GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Speaking of interior illumination, I just noticed there's no glove box light, at least not in my 09 XE. That's pretty cheap of GM.
Never noticed that.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
greenman

2009 AURA XE

direct from HK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20x-Orange-LED-L...item53e451f58f

They look like clear plastic but I can scuff them up with sandpaper for a softer-glow effect. I might also want to visor them with something to hide the source.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
greenman

2009 AURA XE

[QUOTE/]I also found that the rear power window switches are exactly the same as the front passenger switch. All thats needed is to add a couple terminals to each window switch connector to get them to light up.[/QUOTE]

If you get to this & identify a controlled power source wire I'd love to hear about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
If you get to this & identify a controlled power source wire I'd love to hear about it.
There isn't one inside the door. Wires will have to be run into the door.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Now I'm thinking about tying the floor-illuminating LEDs into the same circuit as the other orange LEDs. Keep the lumens very low...just a subtle warm orange glow such as is on the gearshift from those overhead LEDs...it could be a neat effect. Maybe put one in the glove box & the console boxes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I had guessed that much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #13
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
And would it have killed them to illuminate the ignition switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #14
greenman

2009 AURA XE

With an illuminated ring around it for instance:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1288681088
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keyring19lk.jpg (43.0 KB, 47 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Now I'm thinking about tying the floor-illuminating LEDs into the same circuit as the other orange LEDs. Keep the lumens very low...just a subtle warm orange glow such as is on the gearshift from those overhead LEDs...it could be a neat effect. Maybe put one in the glove box & the console boxes.
Maybe this weekend I'll pop off that overhead console and see what voltage those LED's run at. Hopefully I can get a reading at the base of the LED.

Actually I wont even have to do that. I have a spare one in the garage.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Just looking at that rear door jamb wire harness protector scares me. I suppose you could split it open & wrap it back up with electrical tape. Otherwise that job seems really complicated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Just looking at that rear door jamb wire harness protector scares me. I suppose you could split it open & wrap it back up with electrical tape. Otherwise that job seems really complicated.
They look to be similar to the ones used on my 2001 Suburban. The ends snap into place with the wires running through them. You just have to fish the wire or wires through it. I've actually made myself a tool to easily do this. Its an old oil dipstick with a hole drilled 1/8" from the tip.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
Nilmo
Nilmo is on a distinguished road

i have 07 saturn aura AND where is this fuse box i cant find it i have one under the hood and thats it the one in the trunk on the driver side is difrent . can you help plz. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nilmo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nilmo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilmo View Post
i have 07 saturn aura AND where is this fuse box i cant find it i have one under the hood and thats it the one in the trunk on the driver side is difrent . can you help plz. thanks
As you sit in the passenger seat, there is a panel that will be to the left of your left foot. That panel covers the fuse panel. Theres even a spot to put your finger to pull the panel out.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #20
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!