SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
evil_diesel
evil_diesel is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Dizzy Footwell lights?

i got a few lights today so i can install footwell lights..?

what would be the best way to install these.
I'm wanting to use a toggle switch i don't want them hooked up to my doomlights.. or radio BAD IDEA draws to much power..

i could run it off the battery.. but how on earth would i hook that up for the toggle switch..
any ideas...??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to evil_diesel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help evil_diesel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
evil_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Footwell lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_diesel View Post
i could run it off the battery.. but how on earth would i hook that up for the toggle switch..
any ideas...??

The light should have two wires to connect it. Ground one side, connect the other wire to one side of the toggle switch and the other side to 12 volts.

That pretty much as simple as I can put it.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

You could wire it into the dome on used the "on" portion if the 3 way (On-Door-Off) switch. That would be nice and useable.

I guess I don't see why you would want them on when you open the door though.

You can also grab 12volt off of the ciglighter-plug.

Last edited by cloud819; 05-13-2010 at 01:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
97RedSaturnSC2
97RedSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

i dont see why you wouldnt want them to come on when the door opens. i wired in footwell lights from an s10 and an older gm rearview mirror with lights in both of my saturns to give me more light at night inside the car. the mirror had the same wiring colors as the saturn domelight and even the s10 footwell lights had the same coloring (minus 1 wire though). the whole project took about 30 minutes to install and well worth it. they all come on when u open the door and when u turn the domelight to "on". and its not too much extra power to run them from the domelight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97RedSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97RedSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97RedSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your post is very confusing. You're saying you don't want to do something so it's useful, which is fine you have your reasons. But, you're asking how to do something so easy, even a caveman could do it. Think how a flashlight works. Do the same thing, but with your car.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Equalyzer
Equalyzer is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I think he is trying to make them come on at night while driving. Footwell lights create a kind of theater effect in the car. I find them to be a bit bright for my taste, but I'll share with you the attempt I gave it.

I actually had a set of footwell neon lights an eBay seller sent me by mistake. Pink ones, go figure... I tried to install them, but there is just no space behind the dashboard! You either run into that massive heating duct that takes up 80% of the visible space (if you ever use heat, you might kill the lights), a cruise control cable and all sorts of little nasties you wouldn't want your lights to be messing with. My lights required a ballast, and the only place to put the ballast was sandwiched in between the fuse box and and the heating duct. Once I discovered the ballast was reaching scalding temperature levels, I deemed it all unsafe and gave up.

I also had trouble with the adhesive strips coming loose. I had already found them distractingly bright; having a pink glowstick rolling around the gas pedal while driving in a pitch-black night in the mountains was hardly my idea of an enjoyable ride. My Dad uses epoxy for everything, so I gave them to him; he's going to put them in his Oldsmobile (it has plenty of empty space under the plastic moulding). I can't wait to see his car pimped out in pink...

I ultimately concluded that lights are best used outside the car (Lord knows my car's exterior is as decked out as legally possible ). Still, if you want to take up such a project, perhaps the moral of the story is that LEDs are the way to go. Neons are bulky and can be troublesome, but LED minibulbs could be hidden away easily. Just secure them as best you can, lest you have spotlights rolling around all over the place.

Last edited by Equalyzer; 05-18-2010 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: I edit everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Equalyzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Equalyzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Equalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
PaulN64
PaulN64 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

I've actually have a similar setup in my car except I use 2 single led lights to light up the center console (to light up the power window switches) and another in the center console it self so you can see inside. I used the power wire off the cigarette lighter since it's a constant and you can turn it on at any time. I also put another light in the glove compartment and hooked it up the same way but I use a 3 way switch with a center off. One way turns on the interior and the other for the glove compartment. I'll try to post some pics.

2001 SL2<-- daily driver
2006 Corvette Z06<-- fun car
www.sounddomain.com/id/2004z06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulN64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulN64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulN64 is offline   Reply With Quote