SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
zatrony
zatrony is on a distinguished road

Default What did I fry? Computer? stretch your brains on this one!

last night i was hooking up a battery to my '93 SL2 in the dark. idiot that I am i hooked up the negative first and then as i was hooking up the positive the wrench touched something and sparks flew. you know the feeling. it was confirmed when i tried to start it. the starter clicked and the dash lights start blinking crazily. at one point i think even the fan spontaneously started. a host of crazy things happened. mostly, when i would try to start it, as soon as the starter clicked everything went dead. so then i unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes to go in the house to pout. I came back out and plugged the battery back in. This time stuff acted pretty normal. I could turn on the headlights and other functions. The motor turned and would even start if I pumped the gas like crazy. If I didn't hold the gas down it would kills. WTF? any ideas? i musta smoked something. thanks for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatrony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatrony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatrony is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: What did I fry? Computer? stretch your brains on this one!

should be fine, surprised you didnt weld the wrench to the car like the rest of us who've done it. try and start the car again, whenever my battery's been disconnected it stalls instantly on the first try. at worse you might have fried the battery and need a new one.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Whenever you take a battery out of a car:
Remove the NEGATIVE Battery Cable; FIRST...then the POSITIVE Cable 2nd.

Whenever you install a battery into a car:
Install the POSITIVE Cable 1st; then the NEGATIVE Cable 2nd.

ALWAYS follow this rule. That way you will avoid frying the battery or anything else. ALWAYS make sure that the 8MM (5/16) bolts are tight and DO NOT GO BACK to Check that they are tightened, otherwise you will have sparks flying.

You probably fried your battery. Take it and replace it.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
bagel
bagel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatrony View Post
last night i was hooking up a battery to my '93 SL2 in the dark. idiot that I am i hooked up the negative first and then as i was hooking up the positive the wrench touched something and sparks flew. you know the feeling. it was confirmed when i tried to start it. the starter clicked and the dash lights start blinking crazily. at one point i think even the fan spontaneously started. a host of crazy things happened. mostly, when i would try to start it, as soon as the starter clicked everything went dead. so then i unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes to go in the house to pout. I came back out and plugged the battery back in. This time stuff acted pretty normal. I could turn on the headlights and other functions. The motor turned and would even start if I pumped the gas like crazy. If I didn't hold the gas down it would kills. WTF? any ideas? i musta smoked something. thanks for the help
My 94 sl2 has had all kinds of possession problems like that. I'm probably noobishly putting in the battery too. But it is intermittent and only occasional.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bagel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bagel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Aside from the excitement of suddenly finding yourself enrolled in Welding 101 and shortening the life of the battery, the electronics probably suffered little damage. What you may not know from this distraction is a well known malady inherited by all the S-series cars, up to 2001; the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) failures. If yours is the original plastic one, replace it immediately. Its the two-wire one, below the single wire one that drives the temperature gauge. Both are on the egr valve side of the engine, under the air cleaner tube. Brass is the good one.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
ialonso
ialonso is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Good thing you did not have a ring that made it into the path of the short. It happened to me...the ring burned my finger pretty good, I did not know I was capablle of taking off a ring that quickly !

99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ialonso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ialonso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ialonso is offline   Reply With Quote