SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Lajdziak replaces Schembri as president of Smart

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EM02/100109987

Read the comments...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Lajdziak replaces Schembri as president of Smart

Good, as I've said before, I don't like having Smarts on the roads around me. Surely Jill can manage to kill them off in short order. That's what she does.

I feel bad for the guy who didn't kill a brand that lost his job. Oh well, he's still got enough money to cry himself to sleep with, and it said he was getting some other job.

I wonder if Tata will want to buy the soon bankrupt Smart to sell Nanos?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Surely Jill can manage to kill them off in short order. That's what she does.
First she'll get rid of the Smart's plastic panels. Then she'll say it's more cost effective to share global platforms, and sell derivatives of other cars on the market. Finally, she'll say that Smart needs to move upmarket, and abandon economy cars in favor of full size cars, trucks, and SUV's. Then, when current Smart buyers don't buy the new rebadged products, they'll put Smart up for sale, and when there are no takers, shut it down!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

It must be awesome to be a connected person in an executive position. To be rewarded for dismal failure and to make a ton of money regardless of how poorly you perform, while still being able to land other executive level jobs after wiping out your current brand must be nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
It must be awesome to be a connected person in an executive position. To be rewarded for dismal failure and to make a ton of money regardless of how poorly you perform, while still being able to land other executive level jobs after wiping out your current brand must be nice.
welcome to corporate america! it's awful, sometimes I wonder where we'll end up as a country with such mediocrity at the top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Mad Re: Lajdziak replaces Schembri as president of Smart

Wow, you guys are a tough crowd. Jill doesn't deserve all of this. Her passion and drive to make Saturn succeed was second to none. Consider what she was up against. Her biggest challenge, in my opinion, was trying to "fit" the formerly autonomous Saturn into a General Motors that demanded common processes and practices across its corporation. It was an impossible feat. I've heard from different sources over the years that throughout her tenure Jill fought very hard day-in-and-day-out to preserve what made Saturn different and so special to all of us. But in the end, through reorganizations and consolidations, she was overruled time and time again. GM slowly whittled away what made Saturn truly unique in the marketplace. I believe Jill did the best she could do given the circumstances, but in the end, there unfortunately was no room for a "different kind of company" at GM.

I wish her the best of luck at Smart!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd. Jill doesn't deserve all of this. Her passion and drive to make Saturn succeed was second to none. Consider what she was up against. Her biggest challenge, in my opinion, was trying to "fit" the formerly autonomous Saturn into a General Motors that demanded common processes and practices across its corporation. It was an impossible feat. I've heard from different sources over the years that throughout her tenure Jill fought very hard day-in-and-day-out to preserve what made Saturn different and so special to all of us. But in the end, through reorganizations and consolidations, she was overruled time and time again. GM slowly whittled away what made Saturn truly unique in the marketplace. I believe Jill did the best she could do given the circumstances, but in the end, there unfortunately was no room for a "different kind of company" at GM.
Exactly... I could've swore that Jill was one of the better G.M. employees.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Good, as I've said before, I don't like having Smarts on the roads around me. Surely Jill can manage to kill them off in short order. That's what she does.

I wonder if Tata will want to buy the soon bankrupt Smart to sell Nanos?
I'd rather be surrounded by a load of smarts than a bunch of tarted up VUEs with bodykits... if you are going to speak on something, know what you are talking about.

Smart is far from soon to be bankrupt. You know nothing of the distribution of the vehicle and how the budget is aligned for it. It missed its sales mark in the US for 2009 by about 600 units - and you forget that it is distributed worldwide. It was never intended to be a volume seller in the US (hence why there are a total of 4 detached dealerships in existence in the US...).

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy View Post
I'd rather be surrounded by a load of smarts than a bunch of tarted up VUEs with bodykits... if you are going to speak on something, know what you are talking about.

Smart is far from soon to be bankrupt. You know nothing of the distribution of the vehicle and how the budget is aligned for it. It missed its sales mark in the US for 2009 by about 600 units - and you forget that it is distributed worldwide. It was never intended to be a volume seller in the US (hence why there are a total of 4 detached dealerships in existence in the US...).
On second thought, I hope Smart gets incredibly popular. The more Smarts on the road, the less likely my gf will be hurt in a crash. Truth be told, while I think the Smart is a bit excessively small (though I could see the appeal in crowded cities overseas, and such), I think that the automobile getting smaller is a good thing. I don't necessarily WANT to drive only SUVs and trucks, but around here it's a necessity, since everything else here is a giant SUV, truck, or sedan(like a MB S-Class). If more people drove Smarts, then I could have a midsize wagon and not be doomed to death in the inevitable event of an idiot deciding they need to be where I am without looking. I just think that the Smart may be a bit *too* small. Out of curiosity, does Smart sell a turbodiesel overseas, I'd think that would be a much better engine for it than the little premium sipping gasoline engine, at least it'd make more sense.

My point was that Jill doesn't exactly have a winning track record. Under her watch, Saturn went from a novel idea, to a beta-test division that they were just waiting to kill. I have no doubt that Jill can bankrupt/kill Smart in short order. It takes more than caring, devotion, and things like that to run a successful company, let alone a successful car company.

What I don't get is how when GM was going bankrupt, everyone blamed Rick Wagoner because he was "in charge", regardless of if he had the authority to really change anything that was wrong, or had any part in it. But now we're not going to blame Jill who was "in charge" of Saturn the WHOLE TIME, from start to flounder? How's that make sense? If anyone can be directly blamed for the failure of Saturn, it's her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
On second thought, I hope Smart gets incredibly popular. The more Smarts on the road, the less likely my gf will be hurt in a crash. Truth be told, while I think the Smart is a bit excessively small (though I could see the appeal in crowded cities overseas, and such), I think that the automobile getting smaller is a good thing. I don't necessarily WANT to drive only SUVs and trucks, but around here it's a necessity, since everything else here is a giant SUV, truck, or sedan(like a MB S-Class). If more people drove Smarts, then I could have a midsize wagon and not be doomed to death in the inevitable event of an idiot deciding they need to be where I am without looking. I just think that the Smart may be a bit *too* small. Out of curiosity, does Smart sell a turbodiesel overseas, I'd think that would be a much better engine for it than the little premium sipping gasoline engine, at least it'd make more sense.
Size is a component of safety, but small does not equal unsafe. This whole notion of bigger is better that the typical American car buyer has is nonsense...

There is a turbocharged CDi smart available - but it would not be well suited here - its performance is lacking - also why the 60 hp variant is not sold here. The 71 was chosen as the best blend of cost and drivability... there is an 84 hp turbo and the 110 hp turbo in the limited Brabus 112s. The variant we get here makes plenty of sense - it's the best blend of power and economy in the lineup, and is also the most refined.
My point was that Jill doesn't exactly have a winning track record. Under her watch, Saturn went from a novel idea, to a beta-test division that they were just waiting to kill. I have no doubt that Jill can bankrupt/kill Smart in short order. It takes more than caring, devotion, and things like that to run a successful company, let alone a successful car company.

What I don't get is how when GM was going bankrupt, everyone blamed Rick Wagoner because he was "in charge", regardless of if he had the authority to really change anything that was wrong, or had any part in it. But now we're not going to blame Jill who was "in charge" of Saturn the WHOLE TIME, from start to flounder? How's that make sense? If anyone can be directly blamed for the failure of Saturn, it's her.[/QUOTE]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

If Jill has a product launch with Smart in the same way she launched the Saturn "L CAR" they will be out of business in no time. I could never understand how she kept her job for so long, she was nothing but a "BAG MAN" for Clayton at Saturn..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96 View Post
If Jill has a product launch with Smart in the same way she launched the Saturn "L CAR" they will be out of business in no time. I could never understand how she kept her job for so long, she was nothing but a "BAG MAN" for Clayton at Saturn..
You obviously don't know your Saturn history. Jill started with Saturn in 1986 as part or the original line of people that started the car line, when the announcement was made public, then Spring Hill was built in the Spring of 1987 and the first cars went into production in late 1990 as 1991 model year cars.

The L-Series, by the time it came out; was built in Wilmington Delaware and was more so by that point a rebadged GM vehicle.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
+1 Charlie.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The L-Series, by the time it came out; was built in Wilmington Delaware and was more so by that point a rebadged GM vehicle.
It sounds like you not sure of JILLs responsibilities of the L- car launch.
The main thing now she is SMARTS problem...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96 View Post
It sounds like you not sure of JILLs responsibilities of the L- car launch.
The main thing now she is SMARTS problem...
The L-Series was a mistake from the beginning. By the time it was launched; GM had pillaged Saturn anyway...The Relay and ION were both out as well and were rebadged GM clones...arguably since the Relay was a rebadged Chevy Venture/Pontiac Montana (and built in Doraville Georgia), and the ION was considerable to the Chevy Cobalt.

What's done is done. GM never supported Saturn from Day 1...look up the articles...no one thought that GM could start a new car line from scratch in 80 years.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #16
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

The bottom line is that Saturn didn't succeed under her watch, yes. But given GM's legendary bureaucracy, stubbornness, high labor costs (making the sale of competitive small cars very difficult) and everything else, I wonder how much of it was really her fault? We can guess all we want, but without first hand knowledge of someone on the inside we'll never know.

I think the novelty on those Smart cars will wear off quickly. Consumer Reports ripped it in their reviews, not liking their ride, transmission, acceleration .. Also, did you know that it's collision tests, which were OK, are only against vehicles of the same size?! Give how few little cars like that are out on the highway, what's the chance it will collide with one? Duh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:

I wish her the best of luck at Smart!

Charlie
When you're in charge, the buck stops with you. If she had no actual authority then that's her choice for accepting a position with no actual decision making power while still being on the hook for the poor performance. Not a great career move usually, but she seems to have turned lemons into lemonade after watching helplessly as her company was gutted.

She must indeed have a pretty connected benefactor somewhere. Most of us couldn't hope to ever work again as a senior exec in the same industry after such an epic failure.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
I think the novelty on those Smart cars will wear off quickly. Consumer Reports ripped it in their reviews, not liking their ride, transmission, acceleration .. Also, did you know that it's collision tests, which were OK, are only against vehicles of the same size?! Give how few little cars like that are out on the highway, what's the chance it will collide with one? Duh.
Seriously...

It's not meant and was never intended to be a volume vehicle. Second - I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports to test anything but a toaster... they are about one of the least respected publications by anyone with any knowledge of the auto industry. They didn't do Saturn any favors either.

The collision tests were phenomenal - granted you cannot overcome the laws of physics, but the smart has the lowest death rate of anything on the road right now. In a side impact, the size of the vehicle is not going to matter as well.

I was rear ended in my own on Saturday by a Ford Taurus... I've had real world experience with the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
When you're in charge, the buck stops with you. If she had no actual authority then that's her choice for accepting a position with no actual decision making power while still being on the hook for the poor performance. Not a great career move usually, but she seems to have turned lemons into lemonade after watching helplessly as her company was gutted.

She must indeed have a pretty connected benefactor somewhere. Most of us couldn't hope to ever work again as a senior exec in the same industry after such an epic failure.
x2. I wish everybody looked at it this way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #20
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
x2. I wish everybody looked at it this way.
That's the problem with America today. The sense of self reliance and personal responsibility that made this country great is sadly a thing of the past. Much easier to pass the buck and blame everything on "the man." The concept of being at the helm of a company from start to finish as it rose, circled the drain, and then got flushed AND THEN expect to be handed the keys to another company is absolutely incredible. As I said, Jill either has a very well-placed benefactor or is very very lucky. To say that she didn't really have any power all along is a pretty flimsy excuse as it means she was simply window dressing all along. Neither possibility is particularly compelling when someone's reviewing your resume.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote