SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
badtzbuzz
badtzbuzz is on a distinguished road

Default Where to get Service Now and Later

Since they've closed my Saturn Dealership (Saturn of Harlem, the one associated with GM's bankruptcy filing), I don't have a convenient Saturn dealer to go to any longer. That was the last NYC Saturn dealership.

My question is, do I have to service my '08 Outlook at a Saturn dealership until they all close? Or can I go to a local GM dealership now?

I service my cars at dealerships for the warranty and the one-stop shopping convenience.

P.S....my other car is a '09 Pontiac!!! Double whammy by GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to badtzbuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help badtzbuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
badtzbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Where to get Service Now and Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtzbuzz View Post
Since they've closed my Saturn Dealership (Saturn of Harlem, the one associated with GM's bankruptcy filing), I don't have a convenient Saturn dealer to go to any longer. That was the last NYC Saturn dealership.

My question is, do I have to service my '08 Outlook at a Saturn dealership until they all close? Or can I go to a local GM dealership now?

I service my cars at dealerships for the warranty and the one-stop shopping convenience.

I sure hope you receive an answer to your question for I have been asking the same one for the past number of weeks and have yet to receive an answer. Not even GM customer service seems to know the answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

supposed to be any gm dealer. any gm dealer can do warranty work on saturn if they want to. some dont want to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
TaylorMutts
TaylorMutts is on a distinguished road

Your best bet is to call the Saturn Customer Assistance Center at 800-553-6000. They can guide you on available service centers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TaylorMutts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TaylorMutts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TaylorMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:

they took your money and went seee you sucka

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal scan View Post
they took your money and went seee you sucka
Shut up.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Attention Re: Where to get Service Now and Later

For what its worth , I go to the dealership where I originally bought my
Saturn Ion because I still have an extended warranty on the car . They are now a Kia dealership but the majority of there employees were there when it was Saturn . I have had pretty good luck there and they don't even try to sell me a new Kia .
Word for the wise ---- be careful with any dealership your bringing your car into to have any work done these days. You will notice most all dealerships
(not just Saturn dealerships ) are like ghost towns in this economy . There not selling very many cars so they may have a tendency right now to suggest extra work on your car that you may not really need to keep there doors open.
This kind of activity has been the norm for years in the auto world
(bumping up the job) but right now (in this economy) I would say beware of bringing your car to any dealership for work unless you have a good solid warranty and you wont be flipping the bill anyway.
If your warranty is expired it may be better to take your car to a general auto mechanic shop , some place that doesn't sell cars they just work on cars .
Your best chances of not being ript off of course is to have some knowledge of how your vehicle operates , what it needs , and what it really doesn't need .
If you don't have any knowledge in this area then first go to a friend that you trust that has some knowledge of cars for an opinion . It takes a little more time to do this but could potentially save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars .
The bottom line for who is qualified to work on your Saturn after Saturn is gone in my opinion is this .
Most all cars basically are set up the same - combustible engine - transmission - drive shaft - etc . A good certified mechanic should be able to work on any car. Yes , they may have there specialty areas of service but would generally be able to work on any car much in the same way a doctor that specializes in feet can still work on other areas of the body also, or a hairdresser that specializes in hair color can still perform a haircut . Specializing only means that the individual is focusing at the time more in a certain area ( or a certain car ) it doesn't mean that that's all they know how to do.

My understanding on where to take your Saturn after all the Saturn dealerships are closed and you have a warranty is that all gm dealerships will be honoring your warranty but don't quote me on that, lol.

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

Last edited by jaman; 10-17-2009 at 10:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post
My understanding on where to take your Saturn after all the Saturn dealerships are closed and you have a warranty is that all gm dealerships will be honoring your warranty but don't quote me on that, lol.

Actually, I WILL quote you on that, as that answer is correct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Quote:

Im in the Bronx, didnt know they closed the Harlem dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Chevy or Buick/GMC dealer should have no problems with an Outlook.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

The closest GM dealership to me is a Cadillac dealer. I took my VUE into service the other day, explained what I needed and they were very cordial and didn't try to rip me off (i.e. sell/suggest something I don't want/need). They even washed the car (like Saturn did/does/used to).

So all in all it was pleasurable (plus it was weird seeing everyone, except the mechanics themselves, in White shirts, ties, Black slacks and black dress shoes ). The waiting area had coffee, donuts and even bottled water (that was new).

I am likely to repeat there (plus it sooooooo much closer than Saturn of Scottsdale, by about 30 miles). No worries here.

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

If you have joined the auto club [AAA] ask them for a list of AAA approved shops in your area. These places have to meet certain standards of service and cleanliness and I think you can sometimes get a discount if you are a AAA member.

I think you can find a list of the approved shops on line even without being an auto club subscriber.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
oldfiredude
oldfiredude is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: GM Extended Waranty!

I am wondering what is going to happen to the GM extended waranty that I paid for!! Is it just worthless paper and are we justed screwed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldfiredude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldfiredude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: GM Extended Waranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfiredude View Post
I am wondering what is going to happen to the GM extended warranty that I paid for!! Is it just worthless paper and are we justed screwed?
Why would you think that an extended GM warranty is a worthless peace of paper ? GM is honoring all GM warranties extended or not .

don't worry , your not screwed .

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
oldfiredude
oldfiredude is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: GM Extended Waranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post
Why would you think that an extended GM warranty is a worthless peace of paper ? GM is honoring all GM warranties extended or not .

don't worry , your not screwed .
They sure didn't honor their Saturn buyers!!
Just exactly which dealers are going to do the waranty work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldfiredude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldfiredude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Question Re: GM Extended Waranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfiredude View Post
They sure didn't honor their Saturn buyers!!
Just exactly which dealers are going to do the waranty work.
Out of shear curiosity, what GM dealer would not honor your Saturn warranty ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
badtzbuzz
badtzbuzz is on a distinguished road

I spoke with my former dealership today, Saturn of Harlem, NYC (Closed, and now just a Chevy and Cady dealer), regarding the service of my Outlook. They stated, they can service the car. BUT, only for items I pay for out of pocket. Any WARRANTY work, they can NOT do. He also stated, that is due to not yet signing a contract for warranty work with GM (didn't sound convincing to me).

I also contacted a local Chevrolet dealership, I got the same answer. They will service my Outlook for out of pocket expense, but no warranty work.

It looks like warranty work can only be done at a Saturn dealership for now. At least for the dealerships around here in NYC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to badtzbuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help badtzbuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
badtzbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #18
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
I spoke with my former dealership today, Saturn of Harlem, NYC (Closed, and now just a Chevy and Cady dealer), regarding the service of my Outlook. They stated, they can service the car. BUT, only for items I pay for out of pocket. Any WARRANTY work, they can NOT do. He also stated, that is due to not yet signing a contract for warranty work with GM (didn't sound convincing to me).

I also contacted a local Chevrolet dealership, I got the same answer. They will service my Outlook for out of pocket expense, but no warranty work.

It looks like warranty work can only be done at a Saturn dealership for now. At least for the dealerships around here in NYC.
That's interesting to know for anyone who's been on the fence about buying a Saturn during the end-of-days fire sale. Lack of a nearby place for warranty work would be a major hassle. Down the line, doing a song and dance to get a nearby GM dealership to do even routine maintenance doesn't sound like a game I'd like to play. But I'm funny that way.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

As soon as I stock on saturn parts, it's goodbye GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote