SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
aidan80
aidan80 is on a distinguished road

Red Face Tire Blowout@80mph

A long story short a friend has a blow out (I did tell them so lol) after ignoring my advise and the advise of many others. They where cheap and kept on driving on 5 year old tires that had over 70k on them plus they never maintained properly never balanced, rotated or aligned that I know of lol since new. Actually 3 of their 4 tires had blown out all at low speed, the last one went on the interstate going 80! I'm shocked they are still alive.

So that blowout has done quite a bit of damage to their right fender and to the bumper. I haven't actually seen the car yet but thought I'd check here to see what roughly would be the going rate for a fender and even a bumper. Are those parts hard to install or would it be expensive to have a shop put them on? Is there a lot of labor involved. I'm trying to get some ideas for them as they will drive the car as is which they could do. I wonder if a hynes manual for the car would give instructions on how to replace those parts?

Any comments and/or suggestions would be very welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aidan80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aidan80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Tire Blowout@80mph

I get new tires below 50% original tread. Skimping on tires is the dumbest thing you can do.. Aside from brakes of course

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
aidan80
aidan80 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to add they did finally get 4 new tires after they finally accepted that driving on old tires = death! I'm glad they did too I hate to see smart people be cheap and make stupid decisions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aidan80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aidan80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
oak
oak is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

You need to see the actual damage, and take pics of it and post them here. If its just the tire well liner and the plastic bumper cover, its only a couple of push pins and some 7mm screws. Richpin has a vid on the full bumper removal. Go investigate and report back.

1997 SL2 Automatic, 97,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Illustrations & How to of how to remove the fenders and bumpers here, in the body - exterior section:
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/index.html

find the video here:
richpin videos

Good way to source parts
www.car-part.com Look for the same color so you don't have to deal with paint

Should run between $20-$100 for a fender depending on your area, not sure what bumper covers are running.

It's easy... I took a page from Low Saturn's playbook and had my kids (ages 13 and 9) put the bumper cover back on.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote