SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Orville1
Orville1 is on a distinguished road

Attention My Saturn won't start!

Hi y'all,
I have a 2001 SL2 with a 5 spd manual and 78K in miles. This is my second Saturn. I had a 1993 SL which I traded for the fully loaded SL2.

Anyway, I parked my car yesterday afternoon in front of my house. We live on a slight hill. I started it with no problems but I started to turn around in the cul-de-sac when the car stalled out. I thought it was becasue I had it in 2nd gear and was going too slow. I tried starting the car but would not turn over. I had driven the car home about two hours prior and it was running fine.

Since I have no mechanical aptitude, I had my friend who does look at it. We have ruled out the battery, alternator, and starter. The clock and radio still work fine along with the other electrical devices. The service engine light and service engine soon light stays on when the key is in the ignition. It has gas and the oil was recently changed (it still has oil in it). I also hooked it up to a battery charger and still no luck. The "silver box" behind the battery was hot to the touch. I am guessing this is the computer. Is it normal to be hot? I have never paid attention to it before.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed before I tow it in. Sorry if this ran too long and let me know if you need more information. I am new to using a forum like this...

Thanks!
Jay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Orville1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Orville1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Orville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2
Default Re: My Saturn won't start!

How did you rule out the starter ?
You say it wont turn over ,this is the specific duty the starter has .

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Dogman68
Dogman68 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: My Saturn won't start!

Good morning , Alabama I will give a suggestion but you have to promise not to laugh ok, get a broom stick or something similar and run it down to the starter since I have a 99 model Iam hoping you can see the starter and tap it with a hammer being an Okie I have done this many times with great sucess I hope this will work next thought is to take a screw driver and short across batt. terminal to small screw wire on top of starter solenoid this will be a challenge due to location of starter but has worked for me in the past Dogman68

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dogman68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dogman68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dogman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Can you get a reader and check for codes ? Post the codes here if possible.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Can anyone else see that this thread is from 08-01-2007?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Post #1&2............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote