SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
rocktooloud
rocktooloud is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Sound System in '98 SL2

Hey guys, OK, so I'm a total n00b to everything, so with that said, here goes. I own a 1998 SL2 and I want to install a custom sound system consisting of 2 subs, an aftermarket head unit, and an amp. I've looked all over the internet and I can't find any guides on how to DIY the wiring. Can you guys point me in the right direction or give me some advice? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rocktooloud's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rocktooloud reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rocktooloud is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Zombie
Zombie is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default Re: Sound System in '98 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktooloud View Post
Hey guys, OK, so I'm a total n00b to everything, so with that said, here goes. I own a 1998 SL2 and I want to install a custom sound system consisting of 2 subs, an aftermarket head unit, and an amp. I've looked all over the internet and I can't find any guides on how to DIY the wiring. Can you guys point me in the right direction or give me some advice? Thanks.
Well funny you should ask lol.. my engine skills are limited..but my stereo skills are good... I did see a good set up on ebay for a Visonik Bandpass box with 2 12 inch subs... when pairing and amp with subs you need to look at the RMS pers subwoofer...then get an amp what will power roughly 80% RMS of that power..so if you have 2 12 inch subs which are 250 watt RMS..you need an amp that can power 2 channels at about 180 to 220 watt RMS..Also when looking for amps to subs..you need to look at OHMS...if the sub is dual voice coil..then you have many options..if you want the most watt for your subs..with the least power to it( 1 battery systems) it is best to get a 2 ohm load or 1 ohm load..and an amp to equal this. Possibly a Battery capacitor and a 1000 cranking amp battery. Try the battery first..then if your lights still dim go buy a good capacitor to add.

For your after market deck..youll need to buy the deck..i would get one capable of DVD and SVCD play back..with video screen.. if its in your budget..when you purchase your deck..to wire it youll need to purchase the proper wiring harness adapter for your new deck/car and place you buy the deck will be able to help you with this.

To wire you subs...you need to run a positive from your battery to the amp with a inline fuse..i would suggest a 4 guage amp install kit..this will include your fuse..power wire and ground and amp turn on wire( this wire needs to be attached to the back of your deck..along with the rca's for sub channel which are on the back of the deck also and will lead to your amp) While installing have the ground wire off the battery to avoid shock or damage.. connect positive battery wire with fuse to possitive on the amp..ground from the amp to a ground on the car chassis. attach wires + - right and left on amp + - on subwoofer

re attach main battery

hope this helps

if needed i can scan ebay pick you out a good set up you also need to tune your amp ..with subs..it would need to be turned to Low pass filtering..and around 80 hz on the dial.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zombie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zombie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

12volt.com Crutchfield.com

It really is easy to do, go to the local car audio place, tell them you need an amp wiring kit, it will have pretty much everything you need to get started. Make sure it comes with power wire, ground wire, remote wire, RCAs, various connectors. Speaker wire is a plus, otherwise buy it separately. The sites above have all the info you need to do a full "pimp my ride" style stereo set up.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
rocktooloud

1998 SL2

Zombie and quiksc2,

Thanks for your help! Yeah I already have 2 subs. They are Crossfire BMF 1528, 15" @ 2 ohms. They are 375 watts RMS and 750 watts max each. The amp I am looking to buy is a monoblock 750 watts RMS into 2 ohms.

Just to clarify, should I buy a bigger battery for my car and a 1 farad capacitor?

Also, can you guys point me in the direction of any good DVD decks like Zombie had mentioned, preferably something that won't break the bank. Also, do you guys know of any good decks with Bluetooth technology? Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rocktooloud reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
Zombie

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktooloud View Post
Zombie and quiksc2,

Thanks for your help! Yeah I already have 2 subs. They are Crossfire BMF 1528, 15" @ 2 ohms. They are 375 watts RMS and 750 watts max each. The amp I am looking to buy is a monoblock 750 watts RMS into 2 ohms.

Just to clarify, should I buy a bigger battery for my car and a 1 farad capacitor?

Also, can you guys point me in the direction of any good DVD decks like Zombie had mentioned, preferably something that won't break the bank. Also, do you guys know of any good decks with Bluetooth technology? Thanks again.
Definitly gona need to upgrade the battery...1000 cca and optima brand if you want to spend the extra 100 bucks... if you push those subs max with that amp youll blow them..because its 100% of the rms...keep it on the tender side dont get too greedy..id recommend 300 watt rms..each sub in that range...but at 2 ohms..you should be good if you have a decent alternator..and good battery...if you find yourself diming lights after long term use..invest in a capacitor or a batcap. With those 15's your also looking at some major size box..6 cubic feet? roughly on a sealed layout.. get the specs for the subwoofer and port sizes if you chose ported...use 3/4 inch MDF board for material..also use high grade wood glue and make sure your boards fit tight to each other..that means not even an 1/8th of and inch gap....or get Marine silicone..this is what i use and recommend...a fast cure 5200 marine silicone...24 hour cure time.. make sure its 5200 fast cure and not 9200 slow cure..this stuff is too hard..and doesnt squish out like fast cure 5200... 3M makes some marine silicone. You wont have to wory about a 1/8 of an inch gap with this stuff. Dont use regular silicone....its crap for this application.

For Decks..i prefer JVC myself...but everyone has a preference. Mine is the KD-Avx2 that i have in the saturn...but pricey

Good luck..i want to see the finish product..and a SPL meter on it..that truck i posted in my saturn topic..hit 148+ DB... i havent metered the saturn yet..but seeing it lift the wiper of the windshield for 4 secs and wooble it..id say around the same..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zombie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
rocktooloud

1998 SL2

Thanks zombie for the advice! But I still have a few questions.

Quote:
With those 15's your also looking at some major size box..6 cubic feet? roughly on a sealed layout.. get the specs for the subwoofer and port sizes if you chose ported...use 3/4 inch MDF board for material..also use high grade wood glue and make sure your boards fit tight to each other..that means not even an 1/8th of and inch gap....or get Marine silicone..this is what i use and recommend...a fast cure 5200 marine silicone...24 hour cure time.. make sure its 5200 fast cure and not 9200 slow cure..this stuff is too hard..and doesnt squish out like fast cure 5200... 3M makes some marine silicone. You wont have to wory about a 1/8 of an inch gap with this stuff. Dont use regular silicone....its crap for this application.
So you're recommending that I just build the boxes myself? I have specs for my subs and it says for a single ported enclosure, dimensions should be 20"W 17.5"D and 20" H. The internal volume should be 3.15 cu feet. Port dimensions 4" X 9.5". I've tried looking for 15" boxes online and have only found decent ones with mixed reviews. Is it worth it to build my own boxes (with the help from others of course)?

Quote:
Good luck..i want to see the finish product..and a SPL meter on it..that truck i posted in my saturn topic..hit 148+ DB... i havent metered the saturn yet..but seeing it lift the wiper of the windshield for 4 secs and wooble it..id say around the same..
Nice! How exactly do you meter a car to get an SPL reading? Like I said I'm a total n00b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Zombie

2002 SC1

Yea Build the box yourself..3.15 cubic feet per sub? i would assume?

Go to a local sound shop..see if they have a SPL meter to test your system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
rocktooloud

1998 SL2

Quote:
Yea Build the box yourself..3.15 cubic feet per sub? i would assume?
Yeah that would be per sub. I had someone tell me to put the subs in separate boxes and that I'll get better sound that way. So I think I'm going to do that. And it might save a little space who knows. Anyways, thanks so much for your help, I'll let you know when it's all up and running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
rocktooloud

1998 SL2

Hey guys, thanks so much (again) for all your advice. Just to let you know I have a video up if you wanna see the sub in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RrlTVUdQQeg

I underestimated the size of the boxes and realized I could only fit 1 sub instead of two. But it worked out nicely. I think if I had two 15" subs in an SL2 it would be too much. Anyways, thanks again and enjoy the video!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I work at Radio Shack and we have both a digital and an analog SPL meter. I've been meaning to borrow one and see what I'm at. I don't know what my subs or amp are rated at RMS.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #11
canadian92sl1
canadian92sl1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Would definately recommend at least a 1 farad cap.

I am using a phoenix gold 1 farad cap, but I have 2 Amps running through it, I plan on getting another.

Right now I have 4 JL Audio 10"s in my 92 SL1, Clarion deck, Infinity speakers all around, an Infinity amp and a Bazooka amp. 2 Amps RMS is 850 and 800, So i'm around 1500+ watts.. Needless to say it pounds.. look at sound dampeners though! all that fiberglass and vinyl rattles like hell.. I used spray on rubberized undercoating on my trunk, door panels and even inside my sub boxes.. helped alot but I need more. I'll put some pics up later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canadian92sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canadian92sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
canadian92sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
I work at Radio Shack and we have both a digital and an analog SPL meter. I've been meaning to borrow one and see what I'm at. I don't know what my subs or amp are rated at RMS.
I checked, my amp is 150w RMS per channel, my subs I'm putting in are 700w RMS each. Haha. Time for a new amp.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
*98/SC2*
*98/SC2* is on a distinguished road

2007 ION Red Line
1998 SC2
Cool Re: Sound System in '98 SL2

Hello/
You may consider upgrading your Power/Ground/and Alternator cables too/.I used 1/0-Welding Cable on my 98/SC2.But...that was my choice.
This way if you ever want to upgrade to more Amplifiers/etc.you won't need to go through the Big/3 again.
I'm using the Factory Alt.(I think it's 95/Amps) w/no problems,and a DieHard Gold battery.I *may* add a 2nd battery someday for Key-Off listening.But would have to upgrade the Alt.
My amps consists of Kicker old school amps/.I have 1-ZR/1000 for my 2Eclipse 88120 12"/DVC-4-Ohm Subs,Sealed Box,in mono,w/1225 watts.
I have a ZR/600,in Stereo Mode going to a CDT/ES620 Comp.Set in the front.The amp is giving them approx. 2x150 watts.These amps were underated.Plus I have a 2/Farad Tsunami Cap for the 2/amps.
It sounds great,too/.
Those amps require 4/gauge cable for Power and Ground.They are very power hungry.Be patient and take your time.If you rush to get it done...you may be going back to repair or whatever,and have to remove the pannels/etc. again to find the Issue/
So it's food for thought on the cable install,and wish you the *Best with your car and system.One more thing.I,as others,suggest dampening the car also.I removed the outer door skins and dampened them,plus the inner door skins,plus the rear deck/spare tire well and surroundings/trunk lid/etc.
Kind Regards/
Raymond

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to *98/SC2*'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help *98/SC2* reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
*98/SC2* is offline   Reply With Quote