SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #21
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Re: how does the ion do in the snow

My Firehawks are in winter storage now and the Michelin X-Ice's are taking their place.

Fantastic winter tire. We just had our first real snowstorm yesterday and they performed great.

I'm sorry but the Firehawks flat-out suck in cold/winter weather. The compound is too hard. I bought my ION-3 last January and within a week I put the Michelins on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #22
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Hi,

Nothing like a fresh set of tires to give you that new car feel.

My New TripleTreds so far have given me a very quiet ride. Handling and Braking seem very nice. Thats with just 30 or so miles on. A real improvement so far over the Firehawks.

We're getting a dusting of snow now... may have to go out later and give the car a run though the snow.

Saturn did an alignment check and adjusted it with the new TripleTreds installed. The "Rim Guard" (basicly the tires sticks out past the rim a bit), didn't cause a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 PM   #23
ujm4ever
ujm4ever is on a distinguished road

Dumped my OEM Firestones last week at 22k miles. There was no way I was going to attempt another winter with them, they were horrendous on packed snow even when new. I put on BF Goodrich Traction T/A M+S. The roads around here have been snow and ice covered for 3 days now. These tires are a huge improvement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ujm4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ujm4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ujm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #24
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujm4ever
Dumped my OEM Firestones last week at 22k miles. There was no way I was going to attempt another winter with them, they were horrendous on packed snow even when new. I put on BF Goodrich Traction T/A M+S. The roads around here have been snow and ice covered for 3 days now. These tires are a huge improvement.
I did the same thing. Only had 24K, but didn't want to attempt another winter with them. By the looks of it we might had a weird on. 26 yesterday and 66 degrees Monday.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 AM   #25
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Hi,

That's Bizarro World for you. Should be getting rain here Sunday after most of the past week around 10-15 F.

I was very surprised to learn that what everyone was saying about the Firehawks not lasting past say 30,000 was actually true. Good thing I'd been reading this forum and considering a change anyway. I might have kept using the Firestones this winter. From a distance they look fine, but on closer inspection they really were due for a change out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #26
matt2791
matt2791 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Here in southern New England, we got slammed with snow in 2004. My Ion 2 sedan was fine in the snow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to matt2791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help matt2791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
matt2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:21 PM   #27
viking
viking is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Beez
It is frustrating to me sometimes, that others on anonymous forums such as these use such poor grammar and spelling. It's as if they're telling the rest of us that we're not worth the effort of decent communication.
You're not the only one who feels that way. Would you believe Saturn of Eugene sent out a flyer about a month ago that read "Your [sic] Invited! Please R.S.V.P. with Jennifer Jones..."? I wonder what they thought R.S.V.P stands for; it's not something you do *with* someone and makes the word "please" redundant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to viking's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help viking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #28
billc
billc is on a distinguished road

Last year was my first Winter with my Ion, with the origional Firestone Affinity tires and it seemed to do fine.

I'm expecting it to do even better this year with a new set of Goodyear Assurance ComfortTreads on it!!!!

2004 Ion-2, 5-speed Manual, 4 door sedan, Central Ohio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #29
Dan Pressly
Dan Pressly is on a distinguished road

Try Douglas Tires from Wal Mart at about 1/2 the cost of the the tires that everyone is mentioning. They are fine in the snow. They were better than the firhawks on my 2003 ion 3 with auto , traction control and abs. I installed them on my ion at 50,000 miles and had 28,000 miles on them when I traded the car in for a 2006 ion. The tires looked brand new.

Dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan Pressly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan Pressly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dan Pressly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #30
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Is the ABS/TC available with the manual transmission? I was just thinking, if the wheels stop turning, isn't there a risk of stalling?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Admiral Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #31
ujm4ever
ujm4ever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Beez
Is the ABS/TC available with the manual transmission? I was just thinking, if the wheels stop turning, isn't there a risk of stalling?
Yes it is available and yes you can stall a manual transmission car on a slick surface with the brake peddle without ABS. I always push in the clutch for hard braking or if the ABS is kicking in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ujm4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ujm4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ujm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #32
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Hi,

Regarding Cheap vs Expensive Tires. As some might say you don't want to skimp on your Tires, Brakes, etc.... There are some very important things to consider when dealing with parts of your vehicle that are ment to keep you safe on the road. Cost shouldn't be first on this list.

I'd suggest you research/review materials you find like the Nov. 2005 Consumer Reports which had a nice run down on Tires. Decide which features you need the most and then shop around for the tires you need. Just finding the cheapest tire on the rack might not provide the performance you want/need. Then again you might find the performance you want for a very cheap price.

The set of Goodyear TripleTreds I went with could have cost me around $500-$600 installed from two Goodyear dealerships I checked. Saturn of Fond du Lac was able to get me the same tires for about $365 (buy three get one free sale) installed. Considering those tires were and still are on Backorder from both Goodyear and Tirerack.com I was very happy to see Saturn be able to get them, install them, and save me money too, in a timely manner.

Later,

David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!