SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
gordon24
gordon24 has a spectacular aura aboutgordon24 has a spectacular aura about

Default Spark issue

I have a gut feeling I should know the next place to look for this issue, but, what I am not getting spark. I've changed the coil pack. I have yet to put on the new control module. If I don't have spark after that, where should I go from there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gordon24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gordon24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gordon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default Re: Spark issue

CKPS crank shaft positioning sensor, quite easy to change and cheap. You will need to lift the car enough to access the back of the engine block from down under, only tool you need a 1/4in socket wrench and 10mm or 8mm socket i think.

You will not be able to see the bolt and will have to feel around for it and reccomend rubber gloves to avoid electrocution as it is right behind the starter. If you really want to be safe/don't trust your self, completly disconnect the battery.

You could check by attaching multi meter to a purple wire (correct me if im wrong, been a while since i did this) on harness going to the control module and crank the engine or just measure ohms, if over 1600ohms at the control module i would just replace it, one i replaced had 1900ohms and the replacment had 1500ohms, other wise a scan tool with live data will show much more.

Last edited by Medtactics; 10-28-2016 at 01:34 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
mtlsc1
mtlsc1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Make sure you have a good ground on your coils... basic, but those are the easiest mistakes to make.

2001 Sc1 1.9 SOHC

Towed less than a quarter mile in 17 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtlsc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtlsc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtlsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:37 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Check the Under Hood Junction Block for the EIS fuse(Electronic Ignition System), PCM1, and PCM B. Replace any blown fuses.

And maybe try changing your spark plugs.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
gordon24

I was checking fuses the other morning when the car wouldn't start, but I will also look at those fuses again, don't recall pulling em to look. I love the car and don't want to throw it away because it won't start (I've known people who will throw their car to the JY) It still has life! LOL As much as I may save the $$ I'll also buy the Crankshaft Sensor. I'll just pray its gonna make her go vrooom again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gordon24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

The Crankshaft position sensor is not hard to change, at all, and is a common culprit of "no spark" conditions. It is also harder to detect, because it RARELY throws an "SES" light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Rather than just "throwing a CKP sensor at it", check for injector pulses or the fuel pump coming back on while cranking. If either of those happen... the CKP sensor is OK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
gordon24

I know it is for sure, because when I had the #2 cylinder plug off, it was spewing drops of gas at me (every time I'd hit the key for starter). But also, when I was turning the starter, it was wanting to for a second, before just turning the motor. But I know don't throw a CPS at it, but its all i can do for now till I can get it to someone to determin the pressure part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2016, 01:04 AM   #9
gordon24

Just an update. Threw a Crank sensor and it went. Drove like a top again. So the car lives again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2016, 01:25 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2
Happy Re: Spark issue

Glad to hear that it is running again.

Now, repeat after me.......

"Cheap, defective, Mexican-built electronics......"

Good ol' "Pride of Delphi" under every hood of our "Genuine GM" vehicles......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #11
mtlsc1
mtlsc1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Great news, glad to hear that!

2001 Sc1 1.9 SOHC

Towed less than a quarter mile in 17 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtlsc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtlsc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtlsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #12
Technologist
Technologist is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon24 View Post
Just an update. Threw a Crank sensor and it went. Drove like a top again. So the car lives again.
Thanks for the follow-up. And thanks for all the info provided by others! I may need to find this info later....

I have a "new to me" 1994 SL2, and already had the sunroof issue, as well as the "floppy" shifter, both of which are fixed.

Replacing the odometer gear as soon as it arrives (bought the cheaper one from the guy in Hungary, Great feedback on ebay).

Expecting other small issues shortly.

And FORCING myself to check oil weekly. Been low a few times (but checking less than weekly)... so I don't know consumption levels YET.

And another THANKS to everybody that has been answering questions over the years here... the older answers are JUST as useful to a "new" owner!

Driving a NEW (to me) 1994 Saturn SL2, with 76,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Technologist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Technologist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Technologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

keep oil level at/above Top dipstick fill mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote